Professional Web Applications Themes

Airport - simultaneous dialup & high speed? - Mac Applications & Software

I have a white Airport base station that has both ethernet and dialup phone ports. Currently I'm on a dialup account but would like to move to high speed soon. I'd like to keep the dialup account operational while I test out the high speed service. I'd prefer not to have to switch settings and whatnot back and forth while I'm testing the new service. I have an iBook and an eMac. Can I keep one on the dialup service while at the same time running the other computer on the high speed service? Thanks for any help. -- ca...

  1. #1

    Default Airport - simultaneous dialup & high speed?

    --
    ca
    dotlyc@sympatico.ca Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Airport - simultaneous dialup & high speed?

    In article <1fzjoz7.mj76zh1up6zwgN%net>,
    net (Neill Massello) wrote:

    > Yes, but not through the base station at the same time. Switching the
    > preferred network port between modem and Ethernet is easy on an eMac or
    > iBook, but requires a configuration change and restart for the base
    > station.[/ref]

    Okay, networking is not my strong point, so I'm confused. I have the
    TCP/IP panel set to "Airport" and "Using DHCP". I change that to the PPP
    setting when I'm away from home and have to use the iBook internal modem.
    I also have the iBook and eMac networked using an ethernet cable, so
    the Appletalk control panel is set to "ethernet built-in."
    The base station is now configured to use the modem. I presume that I
    would have to change it to the ethernet or PPPoE setting (at least one ISP
    I might use requires PPPoE -- not that I have any idea what that is.)
    In another message Cathy Stevenson said that "If you are using OS X,
    there is no switching configurations as there was in earlier OSes." So it
    sounds like I would not have to do the above if/when I move to using OSX.
    If I do reconfigure the base station to use ethernet or PPPoE, would
    that interfere with the ethernet link that I have set up in Appletalk to
    connect the two machines? Would I have to keep switching off my local
    network everytime I wanted to connect to the Internet?
    Sorry for all the questions, but network configuration has always
    flummoxed me and I have zero hands-on experience with high-speed Internet
    services. Any help would be *greatly* appreciated.

    --
    ca
    dotlyc@sympatico.ca Guest

  3. #3

    In article <1fzk83k.11m5b4j1p3fxdsN%net>,
    net (Neill Massello) wrote:

    > Apple's "Designing AirPort Networks 2" manual
    > <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120061> contains
    > instructions to configure a snow base station and a Mac (OS 9 or OS X)
    > to use a cable or DSL (including PPPoE) Internet connection.[/ref]

    Thanks for all the useful information. I'll look up the Apple article
    as well. Upgrading to OSX and to high-speed Intenet is generating a lot of
    homework.

    --
    ca
    dotlyc@sympatico.ca Guest