Professional Web Applications Themes

Airport + SMC WAP 'vanishing network' problem - Mac Networking

Removed by Administrator...

  1. Moderated Post

    Default Airport + SMC WAP 'vanishing network' problem

    Removed by Administrator
    Adam Ierymenko Guest
    Moderated Post

  2. Moderated Post

    Default Re: Airport + SMC WAP 'vanishing network' problem

    Removed by Administrator
    Bob Harris Guest
    Moderated Post

  3. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Tony Hwang Guest
    Moderated Post

  4. #4

    On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 05:09:13 +0000, Tony Hwang wrote:
    > Hi,
    > Does Barricade have latest firmware?
    > Tony
    Yup. I upgraded it as part of my attempt to figure out what
    was wrong.

    Adam Ierymenko Guest

  5. #5

    In article <pan.2003.08.19.01.31.38.215463N0SP4Mclearlight.c om>,
    Adam Ierymenko <apiN0SP4Mclearlight.com> wrote:
    > I am wondering if anyone has ever seen this problem. I have a
    > newly acquired titanium powerbook. I brought it home, where I
    > have an 802.11b wireless network run by a SMC Barricade access
    > point. The AP works great and I have used it from both Windows
    > and Linux machines for many months with no problems.
    >
    > I turned on the Powerbook and went up to the Airport icon on the
    > top bar. I saw my wireless network, clicked on it, entered my
    > WEP key, and voila... I'm online!
    >
    > I upgraded OSX and all the other stuff (Airport software to 3.1.1,
    > security updates, etc.) to all their latest versions using software
    > update and everything continued to work. Did some configuration
    > and installation of software and in the process rebooted a few
    > times, and still everything worked.
    >
    > Then, as I was browsing the web, wham... wireless network vanishes.
    > I go over to a Linux box I have on wireless and wireless is fine.
    > I try with my older Windows XP laptop... wireless is fine. I try
    > disabling and re-enabling Airport.. no go. I try rebooting the
    > mac.. no go. The airport card no longer sees the network.
    >
    > I try reconfiguring the WAP, turning off encryption, changing
    > channels, turning off every other machine but the powerbook, etc.
    > No luck. Just when I'm beginning to wonder if the mac's 802.11b
    > card died, the network returns. I rejoin it, and everything is
    > fine again.
    >
    > Basically, this story repeats itself. From time to time, the
    > airport will lose the ability to see my wireless network. I
    > will fiddle with things including rebooting the access point,
    > the mac, turning off other machines, and waving a dead chicken
    > in the air and sometimes it will come back. Sometimes it stays
    > ed up for about 12 to 24 hours and then will suddenly come
    > back for no reason. Very strange.
    Yes! I've been seeing this with my PB17 using Airport Extreme and
    connecting to a Linksys WRT54G router/WAP. Same symptoms. If I walk
    over to the AP, plug in hardwared, access the admin utility and change
    the channel, it usually comes back. This isn't interference, if I then
    immediately change back to the original channel it still works.

    This started a couple of Airport software revs ago. I think something's
    broken in the interface negotiation, but I have no idea what. Thanks
    for the confirmation, it's actually encouraging to see similar symptoms
    between an Airport/SMC combination and my Airport Extreme/Linksys -
    points to a common factor elsewhere.

    KeS
    Kevin Stevens Guest

  6. #6

    Adam Ierymenko <apiN0SP4Mclearlight.com> wrote:
    > [...]
    > Then, as I was browsing the web, wham... wireless network vanishes.
    > I go over to a Linux box I have on wireless and wireless is fine.
    > I try with my older Windows XP laptop... wireless is fine. I try
    > disabling and re-enabling Airport.. no go. I try rebooting the
    > mac.. no go. The airport card no longer sees the network.
    > [...]
    I bought an Airpot Extreme Base Station & some cards to go with an iBook
    (Dual USB) & PowerBook 12". A similar thing happened today. After
    working fine, bang, suddenly, both machines were unable to see the base
    station. Went on a little trouble-shooting spree. Nothing seemed to
    work, including hard resets of the base station. In the end, hard-wiring
    the iBook to the base station to change its channel to channel 1 &
    changing it to .11b only (rather than .11b/g) seemed to work. I've not
    changed the settings back to .11b/g & hope for the best.

    --
    Please remove SpamMeNot to reply. I apologise for the necessary use
    of this anti-spammation method.

  7. #7

    In article <pan.2003.08.19.03.06.21.750245N0SP4Mclearlight.c om>,
    Adam Ierymenko <apiN0SP4Mclearlight.com> wrote:
    >The problem isn't that it loses the ability to communicate, but
    >that it loses the ability to *associate* (or even see the wireless
    >network!). Thanks anyway though. :)
    Any chance you're physically blocking the antennas with your hands?
    --
    Matthew T. Russotto [email]mrussottospeakeasy.net[/email]
    of justice is no virtue." But extreme restriction of liberty in pursuit of

  8. #8

    Default Re: Airport + WRT54g 'vanishing network' problem

    same problem here with a linksys wrt54g. every other day or so the
    wireless side of the network disappears until you open up the admin
    utility and change the channel. it would seem to be broadcom's
    problem, as apple uses the same radio. actually the AP worked fine
    until plugging in 2 computers to the wired ports. maybe it has to do
    with overheating? previously those 2 computers were plugged into a a
    seperate switch along with the AP. but since this required a linux
    machine doing NAT, and the linksys's 'static routing' feature was so
    broken it required the wireless clients to be going thru 2 layers of
    NAT instead, i wanted to simplify the setup - only to introduce this
    'wireless network randomly dies every 36 hours or so until you change
    the channel' issue. which is even more annoying.
    cr Guest

  9. #9

    I'm having the same/similar problem. I lose access when I put the machine to
    sleep and the only thing which works to regain connectivity (immediately) is
    to unseat and replace the card. Otherwise I sit and wait an uncertain
    amount of time until I see the network.

    I have started to keep an eye on the consol and I think that the automount
    command is happening near the time of reconnection. It makes a certain
    sense. I will look into it, but I you or anyone finds a solution please post
    it.

    On 8/18/03 6:31 PM, in article
    [email]pan.2003.08.19.01.31.38.215463N0SP4Mclearlight.co m[/email], "Adam Ierymenko"
    <apiN0SP4Mclearlight.com> wrote:
    > I am wondering if anyone has ever seen this problem. I have a
    > newly acquired titanium powerbook. I brought it home, where I
    > have an 802.11b wireless network run by a SMC Barricade access
    > point. The AP works great and I have used it from both Windows
    > and Linux machines for many months with no problems.
    >
    > I turned on the Powerbook and went up to the Airport icon on the
    > top bar. I saw my wireless network, clicked on it, entered my
    > WEP key, and voila... I'm online!

    <snip>

    > I am stuck. Has anyone ever seen this before?

    Felipe Guest