Professional Web Applications Themes

Airport Solution Needed - Mac Networking

I have a happy little Airport network between a Snow base station, a 17" iMac, a 17" Powerbook, and a cable modem. Everything is pretty happy up to this point. Then I resurrect my old G3 Beige Tower. I'd like to connect it to the existing network but wires would be extremely challenging. My research so far hasn't revealed a viable solution. It seems like I ought to be able to connect a wireless router (like another base station) to the ethernet port of the tower and have it join the network that way. Unfortunately everything I've read so far ...

  1. #1

    Default Airport Solution Needed

    I have a happy little Airport network between a Snow base station, a
    17" iMac, a 17" Powerbook, and a cable modem. Everything is pretty
    happy up to this point. Then I resurrect my old G3 Beige Tower. I'd
    like to connect it to the existing network but wires would be extremely
    challenging. My research so far hasn't revealed a viable solution. It
    seems like I ought to be able to connect a wireless router (like
    another base station) to the ethernet port of the tower and have it
    join the network that way. Unfortunately everything I've read so far
    says that this technique ("bridging" I think it's called) isn't
    possible with the Snow base station (so I'd need two extreme base
    stations).

    Anyone know of any other potential solutions?

    --
    --Chip
    remove dots in prefix to fix email address

    Chip Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Airport Solution Needed

    On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 22:23:53 -0500,
    Chip G. (com) wrote:

    There are a few different devices that will do exactly what you want
    and work with the snow Airport. One of them is the Linksys WET11
    wireless ethernet bridge. It will plug into the ethernet port of
    your beige G3, and doesn't require any drivers. You configure it
    using a web browser. Belkin makes a device very much like it.

    And each of these will appear to your snow Airport as a regular 802.11b
    client.

    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Tintin turns 75 <http://www.tintin.com>

  3. #3

    Chip G. <com> wrote:

    There are several.

    (1) A PCI card wireless adapter installed in the G3. Some of these even
    work with the built-in drivers in Mac OS. See
    <http://www.buffalotech.com/wireless/products/airstation/WLIPCIG54.html>
    ..

    (2) An Ethernet-to-Wireless external bridge, which can usually be
    configured from a web browser and doesn't require any additional
    software. See <http://dlink.com/products/?pid=241>.

    (3) A pair of non-Apple routers, or router and bridge, that would cost
    much less than a pair of AirPort Extreme base stations. See
    <http://www.buffalotech.com/wireless/products/wirelessProd.html> and
    <http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatSectionView.process?IWAction=Load&Mercha
    nt_Id=&Section_Id=201522>.

    The links above are by no means exhaustive. There are other products
    that will do wireless bridging or work with your G3. You'll have to do
    some virtual legwork.
    Neill Guest

  4. #4

    In article <net>, Bev A. Kupf
    <net> wrote:

    Thank you for your prompt reply. After briefly researching this and the
    ones recommended by Neill I decided to purchase the Linksys WET11. If
    you've ever configured one and have any advice it would be greatly
    appreciated. I downloaded a copy of the users guide from the Linksys
    web site and it appears to be straight forward. It should be here in a
    few days, and I'm looking forward to having it join the little home
    network.

    Thanks again (both of you),

  5. #5

    OK. I received the WET11 today. But I can't get it to talk to the
    Airport Base station. I was able to get the Mac to talk to it and
    adjust settings. But no combination of settings I tried enabled me to
    connect via AppleTalk to another computer or to the Internet.

    My base station is setup to connect to my ISP (via cable modem) and
    share it's IP address with connecting stations. My other two computers
    are able to connect and receive a dummy IP address from the base
    station and then surf the web (or connect to each other). I'd like to
    be able to setup the WET11 to do the same thing. Nothing in it's manual
    gives me any success path. I do have a WEP password setup, and I tried
    to match that it in the settings, but I'm having no luck.

    Any ideas?

  6. #6

    In article <060220041503048647%com>,
    "Chip G." <com> wrote:

    How did you enter the password in the base station and in the WET11?
    Did you try disabling all wireless security to determine basic
    connectivity? Once you get things working in basic mode, you can start
    turning on additional security.

    --
    Tom Stiller

    PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
    7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
    Tom Guest

  7. #7

    On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 15:03:04 -0500,
    Chip G. (com) wrote:

    Chip,

    First try to set things up without WEP. Once that works, setup WEP.
    Also, I assume you are setting up the WET11 to receive its address via
    DHCP?

    Bev

  8. #8

    In article <ash.giganews.com>,
    Tom Stiller <net> wrote:

    This is what I eventually did after posting the aforementioned message.
    I was, after considerable experimentation, able to get it to work
    without security. Since I live in the countryside, far from the road,
    I'm not going to worry too much about security for now.

  9. #9

    In article <net>, Bev A. Kupf
    <net> wrote:

    I couldn't get that to work. That setting appears to be intended for it
    to get it's IP address via the LAN, not wirelessly.