Professional Web Applications Themes

Airport vs Airport vs 3Comm? - Mac Networking

I recently purchased an iMac with an M7600LL/C Airport card in it. I'd like to connect this via wireless access to my existing wired network. My existing network consists of a cable modem connected to a IIci running IPNetRouter using a dual ethernet configuration with my internal network on the second ethernet card fanned out through a couple of 10baseT hubs. Graphically: Apple IIci _____________ Cable Modem <->| Ethernet 1 | | IPNetRouter| | Ethernet 2 | <-> 8-port Hub 1 <-> Several -------------- | Computers 8-port Hub 2 <-> Several Computers What I would like is the equivalent of ...

  1. #1

    Default Airport vs Airport vs 3Comm?

    _____________
    Cable Modem <->| Ethernet 1 |
    | IPNetRouter|
    | Ethernet 2 | <-> 8-port Hub 1 <-> Several
    -------------- | Computers
    8-port Hub 2 <-> Several
    Computers

    What I would like is the equivalent of a Wireless "Hub 3" cascaded with
    the two existing hubs. I don't need all the fancy-schmancy router
    capabilities built into your typical wireless router... but I'll
    probably have to pay for them anyway, since I haven't seen any wireless
    hubs.

    My idea is to get one of these wireless routers and simply plug it into
    one of the existing ports on one of the hubs. My first question is
    will that work? Am I going to run into addressing and/or port mapping
    conflicts? Seems like it will look like a whole subnetwork on my
    existing network with a whole other IP address range sharing the single
    IP address on the primary network. Sounds like a mess :-( I am
    already doing port mapping for some network games on the IPNetRouter...
    am I going to have to do a second mapping on the wireless?

    Secondly, I know there have been several generations of Airport all of
    which are available on eBay. Are there any "gotchas" I should watch
    out for on the older models?

    Finally, I notice there are some 3Com "Airport Compatible" models that
    are significantly cheaper. Anyone have any track record with these?

    Thanks for any advice or pointers to a reference that might discuss
    this.

    Nelson

    Nelson Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Airport vs Airport vs 3Comm?

    In article <airnews.net>,
    Nelson <com> wrote:

    this might do it for you; I'm sure that other companies make similar
    products:

    http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_I
    d=201523&pcount=&Product_Id=122640#

    Yes, just set it up as a bridge.

    Another possibility is to just get a wireless router, and forego the
    IIci as a router; the Airport Extreme, for example, has two Ethernet
    ports; one is a WAN port that plugs into the cable modem; the other a
    LAN port plugs into the hub.

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  3. #3

    In article <west.cox.net>,
    Michelle Steiner <org> wrote:

    > Yes, just set it up as a bridge.
    >
    > Another possibility is to just get a wireless router, and forego the
    > IIci as a router; the Airport Extreme, for example, has two Ethernet
    > ports; one is a WAN port that plugs into the cable modem; the other a
    > LAN port plugs into the hub.[/ref]

    Any AirPort has the same capability (i.e., routing); the original
    Graphite, however, having only one Ethernet port, does what is known as
    single-port routing, which is not ideal for security. However, it can
    make a reasonable wired-to-wireless bridge.

    Any AirPort after the Graphite has two Ethernet ports, and can
    essentially replace the IIci, although IPNetRouter may have a more bells
    and whistles for configuring routing (the AirPort can do DHCP with or
    without NAT) and logging. The internal antennas in any AirPort after the
    Graphite should give better coverage than a Graphite.

    Steve

    --
    steve <at> w0x0f <dot> com
    Steve Guest