Professional Web Applications Themes

aix 4.3.3 cdrom boot problem - AIX

I have recently made a copy of the 4 x AIX 4.3.3 install disks so that I can install them onto my 43p-260. When I try to boot from disk 1 it does not find a bootable operating system and continues to boot from my existing disk installation. I know that the cdrom is setup correctly since I recently installed aix 5.1 on same system. My objective is to have 5.1 and 4.3.3 on separate disks and use multi-boot to determine which disk device to boot from, but I am having problems with the initial boot of the cdrom to ...

  1. #1

    Default aix 4.3.3 cdrom boot problem

    I have recently made a copy of the 4 x AIX 4.3.3 install disks so that I can
    install them onto my 43p-260. When I try to boot from disk 1 it does not
    find a bootable operating system and continues to boot from my existing disk
    installation. I know that the cdrom is setup correctly since I recently
    installed aix 5.1 on same system. My objective is to have 5.1 and 4.3.3 on
    separate disks and use multi-boot to determine which disk device to boot
    from, but I am having problems with the initial boot of the cdrom to get the
    install started. Does any body have any ideas what might be causing this ?

    When running 5.1 I can mount the cdrom for aix 4.3.3 install and its
    contents are readable - see below :

    # ls -R /cdrom
    bosinst.data image.data oslevel ppc root usr
    ..version
    /cdrom/ppc:
    bootinfo.txt chrp

    /cdrom/ppc/chrp:
    bootfile.exe

    /cdrom/root:
    etc sbin

    /cdrom/root/etc:
    consdef filesystems objrepos preserve.list

    /cdrom/root/etc/objrepos:
    cdiagatt cdiagatt.vc cdiagdev davars frub frus
    menugoal tminput

    /cdrom/root/sbin:
    comp.kext comp.uext helpers

    etc.

    Tim Alsop Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: aix 4.3.3 cdrom boot problem

    Further info - It appears that the paramters used to create this ISO image
    and also to burn the CDR with Nero are suspect. Can anybody suggest a
    working method of creating ISO images from original bootable CD and
    associated parameters in Nero for taking the ISO image and creating a
    bootable CDR ?

    news:3f6793bb$0$11001$fa0fcedblovejoy.zen.co.uk.. .

  3. #3

    "Tim Alsop" <Tim.AlsopCyberSafe.Ltd.UK> wrote in message
    news:3f680dec$0$11005$fa0fcedblovejoy.zen.co.uk.. .
    > Further info - It appears that the paramters used to create this ISO
    image
    > and also to burn the CDR with Nero are suspect. Can anybody suggest a
    > working method of creating ISO images from original bootable CD and
    > associated parameters in Nero for taking the ISO image and creating a
    > bootable CDR ?
    Why do you want to make an ISO first? I copied the disks once with the
    cd-copy function in Nero. Works fine.
    --
    Met vriendelijke groet,

    Jetze Mellema
    [url]http://www.mellema.net/homecomputers[/url]
    'Heel erg vette ...'

    Jetze Mellema Guest

  4. #4

    Jetze,

    I need to copy them because I do not have the originals with me. I have
    purchased the CD's from somebody who posted them to me, but they have not
    arrived after almost 3 weeks waiting, so instead of waiting for the post we
    decided that he would create ISO images for me and transfer over Internet,
    then I create CDR's from the ISO images I downloaded.

    I am convinced that if we get the correct settings in Nero this will work.
    Any ideas/recommendations ?

    Tim.

  5. #5

    "Tim Alsop" <Tim.AlsopCyberSafe.Ltd.UK> wrote in message news:<3f6793bb$0$11001$fa0fcedblovejoy.zen.co.uk> ...
    > I have recently made a copy of the 4 x AIX 4.3.3 install disks so that I can
    > install them onto my 43p-260. When I try to boot from disk 1 it does not
    > find a bootable operating system and continues to boot from my existing disk
    > installation. I know that the cdrom is setup correctly since I recently
    > installed aix 5.1 on same system. My objective is to have 5.1 and 4.3.3 on
    > separate disks and use multi-boot to determine which disk device to boot
    > from, but I am having problems with the initial boot of the cdrom to get the
    > install started. Does any body have any ideas what might be causing this ?
    >
    > When running 5.1 I can mount the cdrom for aix 4.3.3 install and its
    > contents are readable - see below :
    >
    > # ls -R /cdrom
    > bosinst.data image.data oslevel ppc root usr
    > .version
    > /cdrom/ppc:
    > bootinfo.txt chrp
    >
    > /cdrom/ppc/chrp:
    > bootfile.exe
    >
    > /cdrom/root:
    > etc sbin
    >

    > /cdrom/root/etc:
    > consdef filesystems objrepos preserve.list
    >
    > /cdrom/root/etc/objrepos:
    > cdiagatt cdiagatt.vc cdiagdev davars frub frus
    > menugoal tminput
    >
    > /cdrom/root/sbin:
    > comp.kext comp.uext helpers
    >
    > etc.
    I presume you have copied the CD's correctly. Have you tried booting
    from the original media, rather than the copies ?

    Steve
    Steve Nottingham Guest

  6. #6

    I don't have the original media. Please see my post earlier today in
    response to message from Jetze Mellema. Essentially the originals are in a
    different country to me - we transferred the ISO images across the Internet.

    news:42862645.0309170049.760eb6b9posting.google.c om...

  7. #7

    "Tim Alsop" <Tim.AlsopCyberSafe.Ltd.UK> wrote in message news:<3f68253e$0$10982$fa0fcedblovejoy.zen.co.uk> ...
    > I don't have the original media. Please see my post earlier today in
    > response to message from Jetze Mellema. Essentially the originals are in a
    > different country to me - we transferred the ISO images across the Internet.
    >
    > "Steve Nottingham" <stevewakefieldrfc.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > news:42862645.0309170049.760eb6b9posting.google.c om...
    > "Tim Alsop" <Tim.AlsopCyberSafe.Ltd.UK> wrote in message
    > news:<3f6793bb$0$11001$fa0fcedblovejoy.zen.co.uk> ...
    > > I have recently made a copy of the 4 x AIX 4.3.3 install disks so that I
    > can
    > > install them onto my 43p-260. When I try to boot from disk 1 it does not
    > > find a bootable operating system and continues to boot from my existing
    > disk
    > > installation. I know that the cdrom is setup correctly since I recently
    > > installed aix 5.1 on same system. My objective is to have 5.1 and 4.3.3 on
    > > separate disks and use multi-boot to determine which disk device to boot
    > > from, but I am having problems with the initial boot of the cdrom to get
    > the
    > > install started. Does any body have any ideas what might be causing this ?
    > >
    > > When running 5.1 I can mount the cdrom for aix 4.3.3 install and its
    > > contents are readable - see below :
    > >
    > > # ls -R /cdrom
    > > bosinst.data image.data oslevel ppc root usr
    > > .version
    > > /cdrom/ppc:
    > > bootinfo.txt chrp
    > >
    > > /cdrom/ppc/chrp:
    > > bootfile.exe
    > >
    > > /cdrom/root:
    > > etc sbin
    > >

    > > /cdrom/root/etc:
    > > consdef filesystems objrepos preserve.list
    > >
    > > /cdrom/root/etc/objrepos:
    > > cdiagatt cdiagatt.vc cdiagdev davars frub frus
    > > menugoal tminput
    > >
    > > /cdrom/root/sbin:
    > > comp.kext comp.uext helpers
    > >
    > > etc.
    >
    > I presume you have copied the CD's correctly. Have you tried booting
    > from the original media, rather than the copies ?
    >
    > Steve
    Due to the delays in messages appearing on Google groups, I did not
    know the reasons for you not having the original media.

    As I stated earlier, it seems as though you have not burnt the cd's
    correctly. It may be worthwhile waiting for the post :-) If you have
    access to another AIX system, you could try using NIM to install 433.

    Steve

    Steve
    Steve Nottingham Guest

  8. #8

    Tim Alsop schrieb:

    > Jetze,
    >
    > I need to copy them because I do not have the originals with me. I have
    > purchased the CD's from somebody who posted them to me, but they have not
    > arrived after almost 3 weeks waiting, so instead of waiting for the post we
    > decided that he would create ISO images for me and transfer over Internet,
    > then I create CDR's from the ISO images I downloaded.
    >
    > I am convinced that if we get the correct settings in Nero this will work.
    > Any ideas/recommendations ?

    I recently have a similar problem with SCO disks.
    NERO looks like not detecting the ISO as a rockridge format as it should
    be,
    and probably build an Joliet formatted disk.
    Not really sure about this, but you asked for ideas?

    Gereon W.
    Gereon Wenzel Guest

  9. #9

    Steve,

    I do not use google groups. I use outlook express and directly access the
    newgroup.

    Anyway, I do not have another AIX system at present so I cannot use NIM. It
    therefore appears we need to find out what options are needed in Nero to
    burn the ISO correctly.

    Thanks,
    Tim.

    news:42862645.0309170543.650d805cposting.google.c om...

  10. #10

    Thankyou. I appreciate your ideas. If you think of anymore let me know.
    Cheers, Tim.

  11. #11

    Hi,

    It appears we might have found the solution to this. If we do a direct copy
    of the original CD and inform Nero to keep the temporary image file. When
    the copy has finished, we use the temporary image file to burn a fresh CD
    and this boots. The problem seems to be related to the structure/content of
    the original ISO file used to burn the CD rather than the approach used to
    burn the cdr from the image.

    I would like to thank everybody for their contributions/ideas.

    Thanks, Tim.

  12. #12

    "Tim Alsop" <Tim.AlsopCyberSafe.Ltd.UK> wrote in message news:<3f68253e$0$10982$fa0fcedblovejoy.zen.co.uk> ...
    > I don't have the original media. Please see my post earlier today in
    > response to message from Jetze Mellema. Essentially the originals are in a
    > different country to me - we transferred the ISO images across the Internet.
    >
    > "Steve Nottingham" <stevewakefieldrfc.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > news:42862645.0309170049.760eb6b9posting.google.c om...
    > "Tim Alsop" <Tim.AlsopCyberSafe.Ltd.UK> wrote in message
    > news:<3f6793bb$0$11001$fa0fcedblovejoy.zen.co.uk> ...
    > > I have recently made a copy of the 4 x AIX 4.3.3 install disks so that I
    > can
    > > install them onto my 43p-260. When I try to boot from disk 1 it does not
    > > find a bootable operating system and continues to boot from my existing
    > disk
    > > installation. I know that the cdrom is setup correctly since I recently
    > > installed aix 5.1 on same system. My objective is to have 5.1 and 4.3.3 on
    > > separate disks and use multi-boot to determine which disk device to boot
    > > from, but I am having problems with the initial boot of the cdrom to get
    > the
    > > install started. Does any body have any ideas what might be causing this ?
    > >
    > > When running 5.1 I can mount the cdrom for aix 4.3.3 install and its
    > > contents are readable - see below :
    > >
    > > # ls -R /cdrom
    > > bosinst.data image.data oslevel ppc root usr
    > > .version
    > > /cdrom/ppc:
    > > bootinfo.txt chrp
    > >
    > > /cdrom/ppc/chrp:
    > > bootfile.exe
    > >
    > > /cdrom/root:
    > > etc sbin
    > >

    > > /cdrom/root/etc:
    > > consdef filesystems objrepos preserve.list
    > >
    > > /cdrom/root/etc/objrepos:
    > > cdiagatt cdiagatt.vc cdiagdev davars frub frus
    > > menugoal tminput
    > >
    > > /cdrom/root/sbin:
    > > comp.kext comp.uext helpers
    > >
    > > etc.
    >
    > I presume you have copied the CD's correctly. Have you tried booting
    > from the original media, rather than the copies ?
    >
    > Steve
    Hi Tim
    Have you used the RockRidge extensions of ISO9660?
    Read the redbook 'Managing AIX Server Farms' SG246606, Appendix C
    which details how to create CD-R's under AIX. It may help with Nero as
    well!
    HTH Ian
    IanT Guest