Professional Web Applications Themes

Alias in Dock has Question Mark through it - Mac Applications & Software

Help! I am using my mac with OSX 10.2.8, and had created an alias that I had dragged to the Dock, and then deleated the original alias in the folder it was created in. I now have an alias in the dock with a question mark through it that I can't start the app from, nor can I get rid of it! It is driving me nuts! I cannot figure out for the life of me how to get rid of it out of the dock.... Any ideas are greatly appreciated! Thanks again....

  1. #1

    Default Alias in Dock has Question Mark through it

    Help!

    I am using my mac with OSX 10.2.8, and had created an alias that I had
    dragged to the Dock, and then deleated the original alias in the
    folder it was created in. I now have an alias in the dock with a
    question mark through it that I can't start the app from, nor can I
    get rid of it! It is driving me nuts! I cannot figure out for the life
    of me how to get rid of it out of the dock....

    Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

    Thanks again.
    wpclarke Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Alias in Dock has Question Mark through it

    In article <google.com>,
    net (wpclarke) wrote:

    Dragging the App to the dock auto-creates an alias. Easier.

    You can't just drag the Dock icon off of the dock and have it "poof"
    away?
    Reginald Guest

  3. #3

    In article <google.com>, wpclarke
    <net> wrote:

    Sounds to me like you created an alias to an alias. The question mark
    appears because you deleted the "original" file (i.e., the first
    alias). Drag the app to the dock; to delete the question mark, just
    drag it off the dock.
    domanova Guest

  4. #4

    domanova <invalid> wrote in message news:<111020031358446370%invalid>...

    > Sounds to me like you created an alias to an alias. The question mark
    > appears because you deleted the "original" file (i.e., the first
    > alias). Drag the app to the dock; to delete the question mark, just
    > drag it off the dock.[/ref]

    Yes, I think that is what I did- create an alias to an alias that I
    then deleted....I have just gotten a new G4 17" PowerBook, and have
    not played with a Mac for about 4 years, and that was the way I
    remembered it in Mac OS 7.6...probably wrong, but whatever....the VERY
    weird thing is that it appears that just "dragging the alias with the
    question mark through it" to the desktop to get rid of it is very
    intermittent..as in I do it once, and it works.....the next time I
    try, it doesn't! I go to the dock, click and hold on the highlighted
    sticky alias, drag it out to the desktop (while holding on the click),
    and then let go of the mouse button.....no go! Most of the time, I get
    this little menu that comes up saying "show in finder"...and I just
    CAN'T drag it out to the desktop..! I think I am getting the hang of
    getting it to work, but it is still very intermittent..what I have
    noticed is that I have to go her down on the alias (as in just
    until it appears that my pointer is going to go off the screen), and
    then click and hold...this seems to work more often...but I would just
    like to have it work all the time!

    Anywho, if anyone has any other ideas, I appreciate it. And thanks for
    the note on the alias of the alias....I figured that was part of the
    no-no!
    wpclarke Guest

  5. #5

    In article <google.com>,
    net (wpclarke) wrote:

    > Yes, I think that is what I did- create an alias to an alias that I
    > then deleted....I have just gotten a new G4 17" PowerBook, and have
    > not played with a Mac for about 4 years, and that was the way I
    > remembered it in Mac OS 7.6...probably wrong, but whatever....the VERY
    > weird thing is that it appears that just "dragging the alias with the
    > question mark through it" to the desktop to get rid of it is very
    > intermittent..as in I do it once, and it works.....the next time I
    > try, it doesn't! I go to the dock, click and hold on the highlighted
    > sticky alias, drag it out to the desktop (while holding on the click),
    > and then let go of the mouse button.....no go! Most of the time, I get
    > this little menu that comes up saying "show in finder"...and I just
    > CAN'T drag it out to the desktop..![/ref]

    When you click and hold on the icon, if you hold there for more than
    about a second without moving the mouse, the system thinks you're trying
    to emulate a right-click and pops up a contextual menu. If you click,
    hold, and start dragging within the first second, it should work.

    Hope this helps,
    Eric

    --
    Eric Albert edu