Professional Web Applications Themes

alignment and over printing problem - Macromedia Freehand

Hello, I am using FH 10 (mac) and am I having a problem an alignment problem with my doent guides. I am setting a one inch border on the top and bottom of my page but when printing, the top border prints nearly at the top of the page, leaving a lot of space at the bottom. I don?t think it is a problem with my printer alignment because I can print things fine in other software applications and the same misalignment occurs when I covert the doents to PDF format. I am having another problem with FH over printing. ...

  1. #1

    Default alignment and over printing problem

    Hello,
    I am using FH 10 (mac) and am I having a problem an alignment problem with my
    doent guides. I am setting a one inch border on the top and bottom of my
    page but when printing, the top border prints nearly at the top of the page,
    leaving a lot of space at the bottom. I don?t think it is a problem with my
    printer alignment because I can print things fine in other software
    applications and the same misalignment occurs when I covert the doents to
    PDF format. I am having another problem with FH over printing. Whether I am
    printing one page or 40, there are always four extra blank pages that are
    attached to the doent that the printing cycle runs through. This also
    happens I covert the doents to PDF form. I am assuming FH is seeing four
    extra pages that are not in existence? Any idea on how I can fix these
    problems? Thank you in advance.
    ava:confused;

    avakato Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: alignment and over printing problem

    avakato wrote:

    What printer? Is it a Postscript printer?

    What does the print preview show?

    Look in your printer manual or doentation to find the imageable area of
    the paper. You may have to set the FH page size to the imageable area of the
    paper.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Judy,
    Thanks for the immediate response. I solved the problem with the alignment. Do
    you know what may be causing the problem of FH adding on extra pages when
    printing (or converting to PDF) a doent? Even if I have only one page in the
    doent inspector, FH still prints out 3 extra blank pages? Thank you. Ava.

    avakato Guest

  4. #4

    avakato wrote:

    You still haven't said what printer you're using.

    Your printer is probably seeing the entire FH page, including your blank
    borders, as an image. If the imageable area of the FH doent is larger
    that the printable area on the paper, then the printer prints more pages to
    cover the margins of the FH doent, even if they are blank.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  5. #5

    Hi Judy,
    Thank you again for your response. I am using an Epson stylus color 740. I
    think you are right on track because I get a message saying the FH doent is
    larger that the printable area on the paper. I looked in the Epson manual and
    can't find any reference to imageable area. Do you know where I could
    find/adjust these settings? There is no reference in the printer utility
    either. Thank you again. Ava

    avakato Guest

  6. #6

    avakato wrote:

    Yes, this is a problem. I find that older Epson printers (released under Mac
    OS 9) are poorly supported under OS X. The OS 9 drivers were far superior.

    It's also a problem that FH has no way, within the doent window, to
    display margins for the printable area of selected paper on the printer
    chosen in Page Setup. If you go all the way through the print dialog to Mac
    OS Preview, you will be able to see what is and is not printing.

    If you have Illustrator, set Page Setup, then Show Tiling. AI will display
    the borders of printable area on the page. On my Epson 1280, margins are 3mm
    top and sides and 14 mm on the bottom, any size paper.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest