Professional Web Applications Themes

Alignment for clone/rubber stamp tool - Adobe Photoshop 7, CS, CS2 & CS3

How do I clone an area and apply it on the same horizontal (or vertical) axis? For example, extending a perfectly horizontal object further over on the same horizontal line. I'm sure there's an easy way do do this, but I've tried every cntrl+shift+alt combo I can think of without avail. I use PS7....

  1. #1

    Default Alignment for clone/rubber stamp tool

    sandy_johnson@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Alignment for clone/rubber stamp tool

    click and hold the alt key, now click to the area you want to clone, release the alt key, then if you move your mouse to the right or left, keeping it on the horizontal, click again, you can clone away. Use a guide to move your curosr along as a guide ;-)if you cant keep a steady hand.
    Peace_Pipe@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    That's the way I've been doing it, but there's no way of contraining the tool, like the way shift works with other tools?
    sandy_johnson@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Use the precise cursor instead of brush size, and align the crosshairs accordingly to match the crosshairs on the Stamp sample you get by pressing the Alt key.
    Ol__Whozit@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Make sure Aligned is checked in the options bar.
    YrbkMgr@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    What I do is alt/click where I'm cloning from and when I put the curser over where I'm cloning to, just press the alt key (no click). The cursor changes to the circle with a cross which helps line it up but doesn't change the sample area. It's not always spot on but it helps.

    Martin
    Martin_Coleman@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Already do all of the above and use guides to line up and it works pretty well, but I thought there was a key to constrain it.
    sandy_johnson@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    sandy,

    Obviously, I can't see exactly what you're trying to accomplish, but the way you describe it, you may have more luck if you make a selection isolating the object, then Layer Via Copy and move the layer containing the copy horizontally to "extend" the object. This would also be less destructive to the underlying image.

    But back to the Rubber Stamp tool...like all PS's "brush" tools, you can click/release, then hold down and click/release again elsewhere and the two points of application will "connect." This technique may be least applicable to the Rubber Stamp tool, however, because it's easy to get multiple-cloning, or inadvertently clone unwanted areas this way, but depending on what you're trying to achieve, and the relative orientation of your sample and application areas, it could be useful.
    John_Mensinger@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    ...like all PS's "brush" tools, you can click/release, then hold down
    and click/release again elsewhere and the two points of application
    will "connect." ...

    I hope you meant hold down shift. That works, but it's still the first click of the stamp that you have to get in the right place. Like they say, there's a 1000 ways to skin a cat.
    sandy_johnson@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    I've been told to hold down the fort but to hold down sh*t? ;-)
    Lawrence_Hudetz@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Shift........yeah....it's been that kind of week. I apologize to anyone I may have offended...or anyone else that may have attempted to hold down on my advice...never tried it myself...
    John_Mensinger@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Shift happens.........
    Lawrence_Hudetz@adobeforums.com Guest