Professional Web Applications Themes

All your laptops are belong to Windows. - FreeBSD

On 2005-02-15T01:06:58-0800, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote: [ridiculous attribution from Outlook snipped] > > The computer is a HP Pavilion zv5445us, with 512MB RAM, P4-3Ghz, 100GB > > HD, 15.4" Hi-Def Screen, 54G 802.11b WLAN. I purchased it > > from Best Buy. > Best Buy is fairly good at taking exchanges within 30 days. Their > written policy kind of threatens a restocking charge of 15% on opened > notebook computers - but the exception is if the item is defective. > In your case you have a grey area, but if you were to take it back and > tell ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: All your laptops are belong to Windows.

    On 2005-02-15T01:06:58-0800, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

    [ridiculous attribution from Outlook snipped]
    > > The computer is a HP Pavilion zv5445us, with 512MB RAM, P4-3Ghz, 100GB
    > > HD, 15.4" Hi-Def Screen, 54G 802.11b WLAN. I purchased it
    > > from Best Buy.
    > Best Buy is fairly good at taking exchanges within 30 days. Their
    > written policy kind of threatens a restocking charge of 15% on opened
    > notebook computers - but the exception is if the item is defective.
    > In your case you have a grey area, but if you were to take it back and
    > tell them that the system is periodically shutting itself down and you
    > want to exchange it for a different model because you don't have any
    > confidence in the zv5445us, they wouldn't be able to verify this and
    > you could probably talk your way out of the restock charge,
    > PARTICULARLY if you bought the item on a credit card - since credit
    > card issuers generally take a dim view of restock fees on consumer
    > items. I have had a family member do this exact thing with a laptop
    > he bought from there a few years ago. (it wasn't a FreeBSD thing, the
    > laptop was just not very well made and he ended up buying a more
    > expensive laptop from them) This is also particularly if you bring
    > back ALL OF the original packing materials AND THE SOFTWARE
    > particularly if it's unopened, and repack the laptop in it's box.
    > Remember that Best Buy has to send the thing back to HP and if it
    > breaks in transit and it wasn't in the factory cardboard, HP is going
    > to charge Best Buy for the loss.
    If you return it to Best Buy and decide to pick up another laptop, bring
    a FreeSBIE disc with you, and maybe a Frenzy disc, to test the laptop
    before you buy it. I have done this a couple of times, and only once
    did someone even ask me what I was doing, and when I started to explain,
    their eyes glazed over and I just went back to testing.

    I ended up buying a Sager 4750V from discountlaptops.com and have been
    very happy, except for the first few days. The firewire controller has
    issues on this laptop, and 5.3-RELEASE puked when probing the fwohci. I
    used a Frenzy disc, which does NOT have firewire support in the kernel,
    and was able to boot it fine, whereas FreeSBIE (and any GENERIC FreeBSD)
    had firewire compiled into the install media kernel, causing me much
    heartache. If you are interested in more detail, check out...

    [url]http://michael.gargantuan.com/sager_4750v/[/url]

    HTH, have a good day.

    (I am not affiliated with discountlaptops.com, other than being a
    satisfied customer)

    --
    Mike Oliver
    [see complete headers for contact information]

    Michael W. Oliver Guest

  2. #2

    >If you have an HP or Compaq laptop, and you see this problem TRY the
    >R3000Z patches.

    I tried a bunch of things to get my HP Pavilion to work, but I decided I
    would delay converting this machine until I know more about what I am
    doing. FreeBSD 5.3 *does* install on another P3-650 laptop on which I
    just upgraded the HD from 10GB to 100GB. My Pavilion is going to sit on
    a shelf until it can boot FreeBSD. The 100GB drive makes my old laptop
    suddenly usable again (as a primary machine).

    In hindsight, I should not have bought the HP, and it's too late to take
    it back. Thats what I get for playing World of Warcraft on it for 30
    days under Windows. My advice to anybody thinking of buying an HP
    laptop, is to not do it. I bought the 100GB 2.5" drive for $200 at
    CompUSA, any old laptop that can already run FreeBSD can use one of them
    to become very useful again.

    I also bought a FireWire card for my old laptop, and am hoping that I
    will be able to use my external drives with FreeBSD (it worked under Win
    XP and Fedora Core 3). I have about 4 external 160GB drives that can
    work on FireWire and USB2. I didn't have much luck with them on FC3
    using USB2, but they worked great under FireWire. I am hoping FreeBSD
    5.3 will also work with FireWire. Windows was just the opposite, USB2
    worked well and FireWire was flaky.

    I'm sure I'll ask more about my FreeBSD install problems in the future,
    but for now, I'm going to learn using the machines that it works on. By
    the time I'm comfortable with this OS, the problems will probably be
    solved. I don't blame FreeBSD for any of this, it's the HP Pavilion
    that is weird. Its the only machine I've owned where nothing could be
    changed within the BIOS (like disabling HyperThreading). The only
    thing I can change in the BIOS is the date/time.

    thx

    bsdnooby Guest