Professional Web Applications Themes

ALT Text Visability - Macromedia Dreamweaver

Greetings, I have a graphic that I have applied some alternate text to. When I open the page in IE-Mac, when I place the pointer over the graphic, nothing happens. When I do the same action in IE-Windows I see a small box appear after a few seconds that has the Alt text I had written. Why can't I see it on the Mac? Question 2: The little box that appears on the windows side only stays visible for a few seconds while the pointer is still over the graphic, how can I make the Alt text box stay visible ...

  1. #1

    Default ALT Text Visability

    Greetings,

    I have a graphic that I have applied some alternate text to. When I open the page in IE-Mac, when I place the pointer over the graphic, nothing happens. When I do the same action in IE-Windows I see a small box appear after a few seconds that has the Alt text I had written. Why can't I see it on the Mac?

    Question 2: The little box that appears on the windows side only stays visible for a few seconds while the pointer is still over the graphic, how can I make the Alt text box stay visible for say, a minute or longer? I don't want to have to keep mousing over the graphic to get the box to come up again and I don't want to use Flash, DHTML or Show/Hide layers.

    ZaFlashman Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: ALT Text Visability

    He might like something like this:
    http://www.benmangels.com/tooltipsindex.htm
    .... a page I experiments on using Tooltips from this site:
    http://333creativecentral.com/tooltips/
    Eleanor

    "David R. Wheeler" <spam> wrote in message
    "ZaFlashman" <com> wrote in message
    the page in IE-Mac, when I place the pointer over the graphic, nothing
    happens. When I do the same action in IE-Windows I see a small box appear
    after a few seconds that has the Alt text I had written. Why can't I see it
    on the Mac?

    That's because IE(PC) gets it wrong... ALT text is not supposed to pop up
    like a tool tip. The proper use of the alt attribute is to provide a text
    alternative for the object if it cannot be rendered normally. See
    http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/objects.html#adef-alt for the specs.

    visible for a few seconds while the pointer is still over the graphic, how
    can I make the Alt text box stay visible for say, a minute or longer? I
    don't want to have to keep mousing over the graphic to get the box to come
    up again and I don't want to use Flash, DHTML or Show/Hide layers.

    You can't. If you want a tool tip type popup to stay visible you will need
    to script it as a tool tip.

    --

    Dave
    If I were half as smart as people think I am...

    E. Guest

  4. #4

    Hi,

    Thanks for the quick response. I checked out the photography site?the boxes that popped up and moved with the mouse were pretty cool. I think I may do this with show/hide layers anyway. The question was for a friend of mine who is not yet a member of the clan here but since he and I are building similar sites, I thought I would ask for the both of us.

    Thanks again.

    Mark

    ZaFlashman Guest