Professional Web Applications Themes

alternate SQL in asp page - ASP

Hi i am wondering if anyone can help I am testing a site i am building (still in building stages!) The problem is with my products, that on some pages, there are too many products, and i want to have a futher of of a page for such products take a look for example [url]http://www.tripak.me.uk/index.asp[/url] if you leaf through any product, on the final page (listing.asp) the product is available to you in 5-10 variants, but say if you click on something like cartons and corrugated rolls, and follow thru cartons and single wall cartons, i have too many results, ...

  1. #1

    Default alternate SQL in asp page

    Hi i am wondering if anyone can help
    I am testing a site i am building (still in building stages!)
    The problem is with my products, that on some pages, there are too many
    products, and i want to have a futher of of a page for such products

    take a look for example

    [url]http://www.tripak.me.uk/index.asp[/url]

    if you leaf through any product, on the final page (listing.asp) the product
    is available to you in 5-10 variants, but say if you click on something like
    cartons and corrugated rolls, and follow thru cartons and single wall
    cartons, i have too many results, and this will bore the user.

    Can anyone help me? i will explain how my DB is structured and what i think
    can be done, i just dont know how to do it.

    thanks

    Raphael

    Raphael Gluck Guest

  2. #2

    You could try recordset paging to scroll through pages of
    results instead

    [url]http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2120[/url]

    Adrian Forbes - MVP Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: alternate SQL in asp page

    I personally like being able to see all the options on one page, but you may
    want to break them up to look a little more friendly, like:

    Length up to 200mm
    1049 127mm x 127mm x 127mm
    1050 152mm x 127mm x 102mm
    1051 152mm x 152mm x 152mm
    1052 178mm x 178mm x 178mm
    1053 190mm x 152mm x 89mm
    etc.

    Length from 200mm to 300mm
    1081 250mm x 200mm x 200mm
    1082 250mm x 250mm x 100mm
    1083 254mm x 254mm x 254mm
    etc.

    Length from 300mm to 400mm
    1126 300mm x 200mm x 170mm
    1127 300mm x 250mm x 200mm
    1128 300mm x 300mm x 300mm
    1129 305mm x 229mm x 152mm
    1130 305mm x 229mm x 229mm
    etc.

    Ray at work

    "Raphael Gluck" <raphaelgluckbezeqint.net> wrote in message
    > Hi i am wondering if anyone can help
    > I am testing a site i am building (still in building stages!)
    > The problem is with my products, that on some pages, there are too many
    > products, and i want to have a futher of of a page for such products
    >
    > take a look for example
    >
    > [url]http://www.tripak.me.uk/index.asp[/url]
    >
    > if you leaf through any product, on the final page (listing.asp) the
    product
    > is available to you in 5-10 variants, but say if you click on something
    like
    > cartons and corrugated rolls, and follow thru cartons and single wall
    > cartons, i have too many results, and this will bore the user.
    >
    > Can anyone help me? i will explain how my DB is structured and what i
    think
    > can be done, i just dont know how to do it.
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > Raphael

    Ray at Guest

  4. #4

    p.s. I am moving next week. Would you please send me 5000 1539's please.
    Thanks. :P

  5. #5

    Hey Ray thanks for that

    It seems that you more than understood my problem
    Indeed i have a furhter table, taht i am trying to incoroporate onto my
    page, this would be an alternate SQL so when you have something like
    cartons, you are presented with options just the way you put it, "length
    upto 200mm" etc..

    Do you know how to incorporate that SQL if i showed you the code? and how to
    alternate with an IF clause? i am using a wsyiwyg editor. I know!! I am
    still learning

    Thanks

    Raphael

    Raphael Gluck Guest

  6. #6

    Post the _relevant_ code _snippet_ and we'll see if we can make any sense
    out of it.

    Ray at work

    "Raphael Gluck" <iwish i could tell you alas blame the spammers> wrote in
    message news:OCg6J3aXDHA.1620TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > Hey Ray thanks for that
    >
    > It seems that you more than understood my problem
    > Indeed i have a furhter table, taht i am trying to incoroporate onto my
    > page, this would be an alternate SQL so when you have something like
    > cartons, you are presented with options just the way you put it, "length
    > upto 200mm" etc..
    >
    > Do you know how to incorporate that SQL if i showed you the code? and how
    > alternate with an IF clause? i am using a wsyiwyg editor. I know!! I am
    > still learning
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Raphael

    Ray at Guest

  7. #7

    I did it in dreamweaver, so you're gonna go crazy with all the trash it puts
    in

    [url]http://www.tripakltd.com/aspbeta/listing1.txt[/url]

    Raphael Gluck Guest

  8. #8

    I've modified a bit of the code here. My modifications are in CAPITAL
    letters so you can see the difference. I didn't test or proofread! This
    starts where you .txt link that you posted starts at line 181.

    Ray at work

    <%
    SOLD_TEXT_SPEC = ""

    While ((Repeat1__numRows <> 0) AND (NOT rsListing.EOF))
    STEXT_SPEC = RSLISTING.FIELDS.ITEM("Text_Spec").VALUE

    IF STEXT_SPEC <> SOLD_TEXT_SPEC THEN

    %>

    <TR>
    <TD COLSPAN="3" ALIGN="CENTER"><B><%=STEXT_SPEC%></B></TD>
    </TR>
    <% END IF %>
    <%If (Repeat1__numRows Mod 2) Then%>
    <%Else%>
    <%End If%>
    size="1"><%=(rsListing.Fields.Item("Inventory_ID") .Value)%></font></div>
    <% if isnull(rsListing("DescrMetric")) then %>
    size="1"><%=(rsListing.Fields.Item("Product_Name") .Value)%></font></td>
    <%End If%>
    <% if not isnull(rsListing("Text_Spec")) then %>
    ALTOGETHER</font></td>
    <% end if %>
    size="1"><%=(rsListing.Fields.Item("DescrMetric"). Value)%></font></div>
    <% if not isnull(rsListing("Color")) then %>
    <%=(rsListing.Fields.Item("Color").Value)%> </font></div>
    <% end if %>
    <% if not isnull (rsListing("Grades")) then %>
    size="1"><%=(rsListing.Fields.Item("Grades").Value )%></font></td>
    <% end if %>
    <% if not isnull (rsListing("Specific_image")) then %>
    size="1"><%=(rsListing.Fields.Item("Specific_image ").Value)%></font></td>
    <% end if %>
    <%
    Repeat1__index=Repeat1__index+1
    Repeat1__numRows=Repeat1__numRows-1
    rsListing.MoveNext()

    SOLD_TEXT_SPEC = STEXT_SPEC
    Wend
    %>

    Ray at Guest

  9. #9

    Put links to the headers (300 to 400) like:

    <A href="thissamepage.asp?size=300-400">Click here to see 300 to 400 mm
    cartons.</A>

    Then modify your SQL so it's like:

    Select Case Request.Querystring("size")
    Case "300-400"
    sSQL = sSQL & " WHERE TheColumnThatHoldsBoxSizeRange='300 to 400
    mm'"
    Case 600-800
    sSQL = sSQL & " WHERE TheColumnThatHoldsBoxSizeRange='600 to 800
    mm'"
    End Select

    Are you familiar with WHERE clauses?

    Ray at home

    --
    Will trade ASP help for SQL Server help

    "Raphael Gluck" <iwish i could tell you alas blame the spammers> wrote in
    message news:ucXSA9xXDHA.2320TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > Hi there, sorry it has taken me so long to respond; By the time you
    replied
    > Friday, i had left.
    >
    > It seems that you understood my problem really well, I'm too ignorant to
    > know how i need to do these things in ASP. But at least I have purchased a
    > full tutorial for asp.net and hopefully one day, not to far away i can
    ditch
    > the WSYWYG generators.
    > I tried copying and pasting your code. And as I said, you seemed to have
    > grasped the nature of my problem, Still I wanted to ask a couple of
    things,
    > whether you can help me modify it a little more.
    > Yes, you have succesfully helped with adding the text spec, i.e the "200
    > 300 mm" etc..
    > But would it be possible, in a case of a text spec value being present, to
    > only display the text spec fields? in other words
    > 200 to 300mm
    > 300 to 400 mm
    > 400 to 500mm
    > etc..
    >
    > And then allow the user to click one of those, and depending on that, he
    > sees all the results relevant to between those figures?
    >
    > Thanks for helping me, so far, i greatly appreciate it
    >
    > Raphael

    Ray at Guest

  10. #10

    Well i am a little familiar with WHERE clauses, but i dont think what you
    suggested is an option for me here.
    I was quoting cartons as an example of a product that needs that extra bit
    of a recordset. but there are other examples too.
    Most of my products dont need that option, but a sizeable amount do, though.
    I think what you were suggesting was to create manual links, that are unique
    to every product. I guess that's against the laws of dynamic content. If you
    wish I could send you my DB so you could get a better idea. I can compact it
    to around 130k.

    thanks for your help thus far

    Enjoy the rest of your day

    Raphael

    Raphael Gluck Guest

  11. #11

    Sorry sir,
    I wasnt suggesting sending you my database, so that you should modify it for
    me, I just merely thought it would give you a better understanding of what i
    was trying to achieve.
    I'm sorry for the misunderstanding

    Raphael Gluck Guest