Professional Web Applications Themes

Alternating between wired and wireless networking - Windows Networking

Hi all -- I posted a little while ago about constantly 'losing' access to my wireless connection through my Linksys router -- that is to say, I often lose the ability to access the Internet or my network through the wireless connection (although I can ping sites and check e-mail through OutlookXP). I have my desktop hard-wired to the router, and I use wireless access for my laptop. Both computers are running Windows XP, and I'm using a WPC11 Linksys Wireless adapter. For transferring larger files to my laptop, however, I connect it directly to the router through the laptop's ...

  1. #1

    Default Alternating between wired and wireless networking

    Hi all --

    I posted a little while ago about constantly 'losing' access to my wireless
    connection through my Linksys router -- that is to say, I often lose the
    ability to access the Internet or my network through the wireless connection
    (although I can ping sites and check e-mail through OutlookXP). I have my
    desktop hard-wired to the router, and I use wireless access for my laptop.
    Both computers are running Windows XP, and I'm using a WPC11 Linksys
    Wireless adapter.

    For transferring larger files to my laptop, however, I connect it directly
    to the router through the laptop's Ethernet network card, and then go back
    to using wireless access after that. Would this alternating between wired
    and wireless access have any negative effects on the wireless access? I ask
    because it seems like I experience the wireless access problems after
    connecting the laptop directly to the router.

    I've tried disabling the network adapter when using wireless, but it doesn't
    seem to have any effect.

    Any thoughts?

    Thanks in advance,

    Anthony

    Anthony Guest

  2. #2

    I have frequently seen a problem under Win 9X like you describe where users
    with both wired and wireless NICS have connection problems going back to
    wireless after wired. I have not seen this as a common problem with XP, but
    perhaps the same solution I came up with for the 9X machines would work for
    you. (At my client site they are connecting to a Linux server, not a
    router, but if you're also using DHCP the principle is the same,)

    The following batch file consistently works under 9X to fix the wireless
    connection.. You could try the equivelent in a command prompt first, and
    if it works make a similar one. It would need some minor
    mods for XP which uses names rather than numbers for the adaptors (in the
    example below 4 is the wired and 5 the wireless adaptor) and should use a
    ..cmd file.

    I would appreciate it if you report the result.

    :: ipreset/.bat
    :: to reset when go from wired to wireless
    ECHO OFF

    ipconfig /release 4
    ipconfig /renew 5

    CLS
    ECHO ..........
    ECHO Your network connection has been reset.
    ECHO ..........
    pause

    GTS Computer Service
    serving northern New Jersey
    [url]www.gtscomputerservice.com[/url]

    "Anthony" <lombarapyahoo.ca> wrote in message
    news:fDxRa.7301$104.691560news20.bellglobal.com.. .
    > Hi all --
    >
    > I posted a little while ago about constantly 'losing' access to my
    wireless
    > connection through my Linksys router -- that is to say, I often lose the
    > ability to access the Internet or my network through the wireless
    connection
    > (although I can ping sites and check e-mail through OutlookXP). I have my
    > desktop hard-wired to the router, and I use wireless access for my laptop.
    > Both computers are running Windows XP, and I'm using a WPC11 Linksys
    > Wireless adapter.
    >
    > For transferring larger files to my laptop, however, I connect it directly
    > to the router through the laptop's Ethernet network card, and then go back
    > to using wireless access after that. Would this alternating between wired
    > and wireless access have any negative effects on the wireless access? I
    ask
    > because it seems like I experience the wireless access problems after
    > connecting the laptop directly to the router.
    >
    > I've tried disabling the network adapter when using wireless, but it
    doesn't
    > seem to have any effect.
    >
    > Any thoughts?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Anthony

    GTS Guest

  3. #3

    Hi there --

    Thanks for your suggestion. I'm a relative newcomer to networking, and your
    suggestions gave me a good lesson in learning about IP addresses and the
    wonders of 'ipconfig.'

    I have solved the problem, and your solution was indirectly the reason! In
    short, I have manually set IP addresses for both the wired and wireless
    connections, and this seems to have corrected the problem. Since doing so,
    I have not encountered any loss of Internet access over the wireless
    connection.

    Thanks again,

    Anthony

    "GTS" <x> wrote in message news:phx.gbl...
    users
    but
    for
    and
    > wireless
    > connection [/ref]
    my [/ref]
    laptop. [/ref]
    directly [/ref]
    back [/ref]
    wired
    > ask
    > doesn't
    >

    >[/ref]

    Anthony Guest

  4. #4

    Your welcome. Thanks for posting your findings.

    GTS Computer Service
    serving northern New Jersey
    www.gtscomputerservice.com

    "Anthony" <ca> wrote in message