Professional Web Applications Themes

Am I good or am I bad? - ASP

Apologies if this question is off-topic for this group. During the course of developing my asp pages I often have to look up how to do certain things and do a bit of research in my books or this amazing forum. Does this mean that I'm a "bad" programmer? Should I "know" how to do almost everything, or do the pro's still have to refer to their "sources" when they need to do something that they haven't done very often before? I understand that every asp programmer should (I hope!) know the basics, such as what a response.redirect is and ...

  1. #1

    Default Am I good or am I bad?

    Apologies if this question is off-topic for this group.

    During the course of developing my asp pages I often have to look up
    how to do certain things and do a bit of research in my books or this
    amazing forum. Does this mean that I'm a "bad" programmer?

    Should I "know" how to do almost everything, or do the pro's still
    have to refer to their "sources" when they need to do something that
    they haven't done very often before?

    I understand that every asp programmer should (I hope!) know the
    basics, such as what a response.redirect is and when to use it, but
    what about the more advanced stuff?

    e.g.
    I recently spent a bit of time looking up how to correctly loop
    through a recordset (show 10 records on a page and have a 'Next' and
    'Back' button at the bottom of the page).

    Am I good or am I bad?

    ;->
    Luis Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Am I good or am I bad?

    Hey Luis

    Don't worry about it mate.

    A programmer is only as good as the resources at his/her disposal.

    Keep it up!

    Regards
    Rick Watkins
    Web Developer
    eMed-Media

    "Luis" <andyzawebmail.co.za> wrote in message
    news:69476b6f.0308210254.2da4d874posting.google.c om...
    > Apologies if this question is off-topic for this group.
    >
    > During the course of developing my asp pages I often have to look up
    > how to do certain things and do a bit of research in my books or this
    > amazing forum. Does this mean that I'm a "bad" programmer?
    >
    > Should I "know" how to do almost everything, or do the pro's still
    > have to refer to their "sources" when they need to do something that
    > they haven't done very often before?
    >
    > I understand that every asp programmer should (I hope!) know the
    > basics, such as what a response.redirect is and when to use it, but
    > what about the more advanced stuff?
    >
    > e.g.
    > I recently spent a bit of time looking up how to correctly loop
    > through a recordset (show 10 records on a page and have a 'Next' and
    > 'Back' button at the bottom of the page).
    >
    > Am I good or am I bad?
    >
    > ;->

    rick watkins Guest

  3. #3

    Luis wrote:
    > Apologies if this question is off-topic for this group.
    >
    > During the course of developing my asp pages I often have to look up
    > how to do certain things and do a bit of research in my books or this
    > amazing forum. Does this mean that I'm a "bad" programmer?
    >
    > Should I "know" how to do almost everything, or do the pro's still
    > have to refer to their "sources" when they need to do something that
    > they haven't done very often before?
    >
    > I understand that every asp programmer should (I hope!) know the
    > basics, such as what a response.redirect is and when to use it, but
    > what about the more advanced stuff?
    >
    > e.g.
    > I recently spent a bit of time looking up how to correctly loop
    > through a recordset (show 10 records on a page and have a 'Next' and
    > 'Back' button at the bottom of the page).
    >
    > Am I good or am I bad?

    Seriously? Given that you found your own answer, I would say you are closer
    to "good" than "bad". I won't say you're "good" without knowing more about
    the solution you used. If you used a recordset loop to display your records,
    that brings you down closer to the middle of the bad-good scale (the fact
    that you found your own solution still prevents you from moving below the
    middle of the scale in my book, anyways). If you found and used either
    Getstring or GetRows, that pushes you very close to the "good" end of the
    scale, especially if you found out WHY they are the better solutions (this
    has been discussed many times in this newsgroup and in .asp.db - Google is
    your friend).

    Bob Barrows

    Bob Barrows Guest

  4. #4

    "Luis" <andyzawebmail.co.za> wrote in message
    news:69476b6f.0308210254.2da4d874posting.google.c om...
    .. . .
    > During the course of developing my asp pages I often have to look up
    > how to do certain things and do a bit of research in my books or this
    > amazing forum. Does this mean that I'm a "bad" programmer?
    Nobody can "know" everything and everyone has different strengths
    (need a one-liner - ask Rick!). By keeping your eyes open for
    better advice, solutions, etc., you're actually making yourself a better
    programmer.

    If you only ever did the same things all the time, you might still be
    writing COBOL batch programs... ;-)

    Regards,
    Phill W.

    Phill. W Guest

  5. #5

    IMHO knowing where to look for the the answers is half the battle.

    Mike

    "Luis" <andyzawebmail.co.za> wrote in message
    news:69476b6f.0308210254.2da4d874posting.google.c om...
    > Apologies if this question is off-topic for this group.
    >
    > During the course of developing my asp pages I often have to look up
    > how to do certain things and do a bit of research in my books or this
    > amazing forum. Does this mean that I'm a "bad" programmer?
    >
    > Should I "know" how to do almost everything, or do the pro's still
    > have to refer to their "sources" when they need to do something that
    > they haven't done very often before?
    >
    > I understand that every asp programmer should (I hope!) know the
    > basics, such as what a response.redirect is and when to use it, but
    > what about the more advanced stuff?
    >
    > e.g.
    > I recently spent a bit of time looking up how to correctly loop
    > through a recordset (show 10 records on a page and have a 'Next' and
    > 'Back' button at the bottom of the page).
    >
    > Am I good or am I bad?
    >
    > ;->

    Mike Guest

  6. #6

    "Luis" <andyzawebmail.co.za> wrote in message
    news:69476b6f.0308210254.2da4d874posting.google.c om...
    > Should I "know" how to do almost everything, or do the pro's still
    > have to refer to their "sources" when they need to do something that
    > they haven't done very often before?
    When I interviewed for my job 3+ years ago, they barely asked me about what
    I know. That was all on the resume anyway. Rather they asked me about past
    problems and how I resolved them.

    I told them that I would typically read manuals or reference books, ask
    questions on Usenet, search on Google or Deja, ask peers that may have done
    something similar, experiment in a non-production environment, etc..

    They didn't ask me what TCP meant or to write code (although this might
    happen for a position that is purely programming).

    Employers know that the tech field is changing constantly and they really
    want someone who can adapt, not necessarily someone who can memorize an ASP
    reference book.

    You might even get questions like "would you jump out of a plane if I asked
    you" or "how would you move mount fiji". There is no right answer, the way
    to answer the question is to demonstrate your outside-the-box thinking.

    Would you jump out of a plane? It depends...
    * what's the altitude
    * what's the speed
    * what's the geographic location
    * why are you jumping
    * would you have a parachute
    * what's the consequence of not jumping

    If the plane were sitting on a tarmac and you could jump down without
    injuring yourself, then sure. But you wouldn't know this without knowing
    the problem better.

    How would you move mount fuji?
    * impossible question, you can't really move a mountain using existing
    technology
    * why move it? can you move something else relative to the mountain?
    * is there even a mount fuji (i don't know)
    * can you just tunnel into it?
    * etc.

    Anyway, the point is it's not really what you know, but how you learn and
    how you approach problems.

    --
    Mike

    Mike Guest

  7. #7

    On 21 Aug 2003 03:54:50 -0700, [email]andyzawebmail.co.za[/email] (Luis) wrote:
    >During the course of developing my asp pages I often have to look up
    >how to do certain things and do a bit of research in my books or this
    >amazing forum. Does this mean that I'm a "bad" programmer?
    I wish more programmer's were bad if you are...
    >Should I "know" how to do almost everything, or do the pro's still
    >have to refer to their "sources" when they need to do something that
    >they haven't done very often before?
    You learn the 60% that occurs regularly, you need to refresh the 30%
    you don't see very often and you'll always need to look up the 10%
    you've never seen before.
    >I understand that every asp programmer should (I hope!) know the
    >basics, such as what a response.redirect is and when to use it, but
    >what about the more advanced stuff?
    Every programmer should undertstand the *logic* behind the code, but
    the code syntax can always be looked up. For example, you should know
    how to do a loop, with a pretest and post test, and understand why
    you'd choose which test to use. Remembering that it's "WHILE" and
    "WEND" instead of "DO WHILE" and "END" is less important.
    >I recently spent a bit of time looking up how to correctly loop
    >through a recordset (show 10 records on a page and have a 'Next' and
    >'Back' button at the bottom of the page).
    Okay, do that a few more times and you won't have to look it up any
    more. That's called "learning".
    >Am I good or am I bad?
    Off hand I'd say bad, but it's not your coding that I'm judging on.
    :)

    Jeff
    Jeff Cochran Guest