Professional Web Applications Themes

amd kernel install - Ubuntu

Bit embarrassed to ask this question, but come from redhat background and new to debian packaging... I have a AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2700+. When I installed Breezy it, by default, installed a 386 kernel. How do I install the AMD optimised kernel? -- Troy Piggins Ubuntu v5.10 (Breezy Badger)...

  1. #1

    Default amd kernel install

    Bit embarrassed to ask this question, but come from redhat background
    and new to debian packaging...

    I have a AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2700+. When I installed Breezy it, by
    default, installed a 386 kernel.

    How do I install the AMD optimised kernel?

    --
    Troy Piggins
    Ubuntu v5.10 (Breezy Badger)
    Troy Piggins Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: amd kernel install

    In article <20051208075812usenet.piggo.com>, Troy Piggins says...
    > Bit embarrassed to ask this question, but come from redhat background
    > and new to debian packaging...
    >
    > I have a AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2700+. When I installed Breezy it, by
    > default, installed a 386 kernel.
    >
    > How do I install the AMD optimised kernel?
    >
    >
    Fire up synaptic. Do a search for k7. Install the obvious from there.
    GRUB will be updated and the K7 kernel will appear in the boot list.

    --
    Conor

    "You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend and you've never seen
    Star Trek? Good Lord!" - Patrick Stewart, Extras.
    Conor Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: amd kernel install

    * Conor wrote:
    > In article <20051208075812usenet.piggo.com>, Troy Piggins says...
    >> Bit embarrassed to ask this question, but come from redhat background
    >> and new to debian packaging...
    >>
    >> I have a AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2700+. When I installed Breezy it, by
    >> default, installed a 386 kernel.
    >>
    >> How do I install the AMD optimised kernel?
    >>
    >>
    > Fire up synaptic. Do a search for k7. Install the obvious from there.
    > GRUB will be updated and the K7 kernel will appear in the boot list.
    Thanks mate. I don't use synaptic - command-line only apt-get for me
    :-)

    $ apt-cache search --names-only k7

    revealed the extract below. I have installed the
    linux-image-2.6.12-10-k7 and linux-headers-2.6.12-10-k7 packages, not
    sure about those restricted packages. Should I install those also?

    -----
    linux-headers-2.6.12-10-k7 - Linux kernel headers 2.6.12 on AMD K7
    linux-headers-2.6.12-10-k7-smp - Linux kernel headers 2.6.12 on AMD K7
    SMP
    linux-headers-k7 - Linux kernel headers on AMD K7
    linux-headers-k7-smp - Linux kernel headers on AMD K7 SMP
    linux-image-2.6.12-10-k7 - Linux kernel image for version 2.6.12 on AMD
    K7.
    linux-image-2.6.12-10-k7-smp - Linux kernel image for version 2.6.12 on
    AMD K7 SMP.
    linux-image-k7 - Linux kernel image on AMD K7.
    linux-image-k7-smp - Linux kernel image on AMD K7 SMP.
    linux-k7 - Complete Linux kernel on AMD K7.
    linux-k7-smp - Complete Linux kernel on AMD K7 SMP.
    linux-restricted-modules-2.6.12-10-k7 - Non-free Linux 2.6.12 modules on
    AMD K7
    linux-restricted-modules-2.6.12-10-k7-nvidia-legacy - Non-free Linux
    2.6.12 modules on AMD K7
    -----

    --
    Troy Piggins
    Christmas thought: "Christmas is a time of eating,
    so Boxing Day is a time for pooing."
    Troy Piggins Guest

  4. #4

    Default Re: amd kernel install

    In article <20051208121834usenet.piggo.com>, Troy Piggins says...
    > * Conor wrote:
    > > In article <20051208075812usenet.piggo.com>, Troy Piggins says...
    > >> Bit embarrassed to ask this question, but come from redhat background
    > >> and new to debian packaging...
    > >>
    > >> I have a AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2700+. When I installed Breezy it, by
    > >> default, installed a 386 kernel.
    > >>
    > >> How do I install the AMD optimised kernel?
    > >>
    > >>
    > > Fire up synaptic. Do a search for k7. Install the obvious from there.
    > > GRUB will be updated and the K7 kernel will appear in the boot list.
    >
    > Thanks mate. I don't use synaptic - command-line only apt-get for me
    > :-)
    >
    > $ apt-cache search --names-only k7
    >
    > revealed the extract below. I have installed the
    > linux-image-2.6.12-10-k7 and linux-headers-2.6.12-10-k7 packages, not
    > sure about those restricted packages. Should I install those also?
    >
    apt-get install linux-k7

    Why don't you use synaptic? Its the GUI front end for apt-get. Using
    CLI for the sake of it is plain daft.

    --
    Conor

    "You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend and you've never seen
    Star Trek? Good Lord!" - Patrick Stewart, Extras.
    Conor Guest

  5. #5

    Default Re: amd kernel install

    * Conor wrote:
    > In article <20051208121834usenet.piggo.com>, Troy Piggins says...
    >> * Conor wrote:
    >> > In article <20051208075812usenet.piggo.com>, Troy Piggins says...
    >> >> Bit embarrassed to ask this question, but come from redhat background
    >> >> and new to debian packaging...
    >> >>
    >> >> I have a AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2700+. When I installed Breezy it, by
    >> >> default, installed a 386 kernel.
    >> >>
    >> >> How do I install the AMD optimised kernel?
    >> >>
    >> >>
    >> > Fire up synaptic. Do a search for k7. Install the obvious from there.
    >> > GRUB will be updated and the K7 kernel will appear in the boot list.
    >>
    >> Thanks mate. I don't use synaptic - command-line only apt-get for me
    >> :-)
    >>
    >> $ apt-cache search --names-only k7
    >>
    >> revealed the extract below. I have installed the
    >> linux-image-2.6.12-10-k7 and linux-headers-2.6.12-10-k7 packages, not
    >> sure about those restricted packages. Should I install those also?
    >>
    >
    > apt-get install linux-k7
    >
    > Why don't you use synaptic? Its the GUI front end for apt-get. Using
    > CLI for the sake of it is plain daft.
    I don't use X very often. I am usually logging in using ssh to access my
    email. The ubuntu machine runs my mail server, web server etc. It is
    not my desktop.

    Thanks for the help.

    --
    Troy "Daft" Piggins
    Troy Piggins Guest

  6. #6

    Default Re: amd kernel install

    In article <20051209070459usenet.piggo.com>, Troy Piggins says...
    > I don't use X very often. I am usually logging in using ssh to access my
    > email. The ubuntu machine runs my mail server, web server etc. It is
    > not my desktop.
    >
    Aha. No problem. I take it you got sorted then?


    --
    Conor

    "You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend and you've never seen
    Star Trek? Good Lord!" - Patrick Stewart, Extras.
    Conor Guest

  7. #7

    Default Re: amd kernel install

    * Conor wrote:
    > In article <20051209070459usenet.piggo.com>, Troy Piggins says...
    >
    >> I don't use X very often. I am usually logging in using ssh to access my
    >> email. The ubuntu machine runs my mail server, web server etc. It is
    >> not my desktop.
    >>
    > Aha. No problem. I take it you got sorted then?
    Yeah mate. All good.

    Thanks.

    --
    Troy Piggins
    Christmas thought: "Christmas is a time of eating,
    so Boxing Day is a time for pooing."
    Troy Piggins Guest

  8. #8

    Default Re: amd kernel install

    Troy Piggins wrote:
    > Bit embarrassed to ask this question, but come from redhat background
    > and new to debian packaging...
    >
    > I have a AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2700+. When I installed Breezy it, by
    > default, installed a 386 kernel.
    >
    > How do I install the AMD optimised kernel?
    >
    Great question I would have never thought of looking for a different
    kernel package. Installed it and it is a marked difference. Thanks for
    the question and answers guys that was a good one to know.


    Jeff Thompson

    "In the immortal words of Socrates 'I drank what?'" Chris Knight (Val
    Kilmer - Real Genius)
    Jeffery M. Thompson Guest

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: July 17th, 02:00 PM
  2. compile and install custom patched debian kernel
    By Albers, Lucas in forum Debian
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: July 15th, 02:00 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: July 12th, 10:20 PM
  4. Install kernel-image-2.4 for iptables (debian)
    By Alex Yung in forum Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: July 7th, 01:50 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: July 1st, 05:00 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139