Professional Web Applications Themes

an unwanted online "cure" for apps - Mac Networking

I thought I had to reinstall my help viewer application because it would basically give me the spinning ball whenever I invoked it. (I run 10.3.4.) I suddenly discovered that it works perfectly as long as I'm online. I've noticed this behavior with Stuffit 8.x as well, though Stuffit at least clues me in by pestering me to register. I am more than a little concerned about this -- does anyone know why is this necessary? I mean, what kind of information am I exchanging and with whom when I invoke the help viewer application? And why is it that ...

  1. #1

    Default an unwanted online "cure" for apps

    I thought I had to reinstall my help viewer application because it would
    basically give me the spinning ball whenever I invoked it. (I run
    10.3.4.)

    I suddenly discovered that it works perfectly as long as I'm online.
    I've noticed this behavior with Stuffit 8.x as well, though Stuffit at
    least clues me in by pestering me to register.

    I am more than a little concerned about this -- does anyone know why is
    this necessary? I mean, what kind of information am I exchanging and
    with whom when I invoke the help viewer application? And why is it that
    I'm expected to do my work while online?
    Charlie Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: an unwanted online "cure" for apps

    In article <srv.hcvlny.cv.net>,
    Charlie <net> wrote:

    Not all of the help files are on your drive. Sometimes Help has to
    download stuff from Apple. This saves drive space and has been this way
    since OS 9.

    Try LittleSnitch and see where Help wants to connect.
    Craig Guest

  3. #3

    Charlie wrote:

    Use Little Snitch to block Stuffit's attempts to connect.
    They serve you no purpose. If Stuffit ever gets to the
    point where it MUST connect to compress or expand, that's
    the time when I'll have to quit using it.
    George Guest

  4. #4

    In article <150620040851180613%net>, "Craig D." <net>
    wrote:

    > Not all of the help files are on your drive. Sometimes Help has to
    > download stuff from Apple. This saves drive space and has been this way
    > since OS 9.
    >
    > Try LittleSnitch and see where Help wants to connect.[/ref]

    Where do you get it?

    --
    Telamon
    Ventura, California

  5. #5

    wrote:

    > Not all of the help files are on your drive. Sometimes Help has to
    > download stuff from Apple. This saves drive space and has been this way
    > since OS 9.
    >[/ref]
    The files ARE on my drive because if I wait long enough, they'll finally
    appear, but it's a severl-minutes wait, which is why I thought at first
    the program was bust.
    (I checked several apps, but the original files I was trying to access
    were Dreamweaver MX.)
    Charlie Guest

  6. #6

    Charlie <net> asserted:

    The files you see are on your drive, but Help is just trying to be, umm,
    "helpful". When it delivers a page of possible answers to your problem,
    it wants to include answers from Cupertino, which might be newer or more
    informative...

    It should be possible to use Safari instead of HelpViewer,
    I just haven't gotten a round toit
    J.Random Guest

  7. #7

    In article
    <sf.sbcglobal.net>,
    Telamon <net.is.invalid> wrote:

    > > Not all of the help files are on your drive. Sometimes Help has to
    > > download stuff from Apple. This saves drive space and has been this way
    > > since OS 9.
    > >
    > > Try LittleSnitch and see where Help wants to connect.[/ref]
    >
    > Where do you get it?[/ref]

    http://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/index.html
    Bob Guest

  8. #8

    In article <cac.cpqcorp.net>,
    Bob Harris <dec.com> wrote:

    > > Where do you get it?[/ref]
    >
    > http://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/index.html[/ref]

    Thanks!

    --
    Telamon
    Ventura, California

  9. #9

    In article <auckland.ac.nz>,
    "J.Random Luser" <domain> wrote:

    > The files you see are on your drive, but Help is just trying to be, umm,
    > "helpful". When it delivers a page of possible answers to your problem,
    > it wants to include answers from Cupertino, which might be newer or more
    > informative...
    >
    > It should be possible to use Safari instead of HelpViewer,
    > I just haven't gotten a round toit[/ref]

    Yes, Adobe applications, for example, use Safari on their own and so
    they don't hang if I try to access help offline.

    At any rate, I installed Little Snitch yesterday but it doesn't come on
    when I open Help Viewer. It alerts me to everything else -- Stuffit,
    Software Update, MT Newswatcher -- but not HelpViewer. Why is that?
    Charlie Guest

  10. #10

    Charlie wrote:

    Check Snitch rules - Help Viewer was probably enabled by default.
    Port 80.
    George Guest

  11. #11

    In article <com>,
    George Williams <com> wrote:

    > Check Snitch rules - Help Viewer was probably enabled by default.
    > Port 80.[/ref]

    What is Port 80? It's only listed for Safari, IE, QuickTime, and
    Sherlock. HelpViewer isn't listend among the applications unless it uses
    a different name (like those slpd or ntpd that I haven't a clue what
    they are).

    Unfortunately, I don't understand most of Little Snitch's list of rules
    -- including half the applications as well as the ports and connections.
    Charlie Guest

  12. #12

    Charlie wrote:

    http://support.stat.ucla.edu/view.php?supportid=39
    Port 80 is used for http activities (e.g. contacting name servers
    and accessing web sites)
    George Guest

  13. #13

    In article <com>,
    George Williams <com> wrote:

    > http://support.stat.ucla.edu/view.php?supportid=39
    > Port 80 is used for http activities (e.g. contacting name servers
    > and accessing web sites)[/ref]

    Does this mean that all I have to do to block an application from
    calling home is use Port 80? Right now I've got Stuffit, for instance,
    blocked from making any kind of connection.

    I really appreciate you taking the time.
    Charlie Guest

  14. #14

    Charlie wrote:

    Block the app, so that it does not use port 80.

    They may also try to use port 8080 et al., but in general, when
    one is running Little Snitch, one waits for some app to
    try to access whatever protocol or port it wants, then
    decide at that point whether to block it. This means
    one must avoid blocking port 80 across the board, as
    several apps have a legitimate need to use http.
    George Guest

  15. #15

    In article <com>,
    George Williams <com> wrote:

    > Block the app, so that it does not use port 80.
    >
    > They may also try to use port 8080 et al., but in general, when
    > one is running Little Snitch, one waits for some app to
    > try to access whatever protocol or port it wants, then
    > decide at that point whether to block it. This means
    > one must avoid blocking port 80 across the board, as
    > several apps have a legitimate need to use http.[/ref]

    Obviously the browsers -- but the help files of some applications, most
    notably Adboe, are displayed in the browsers -- does that mean they call
    home when I'm online?
    Little Snitch also allows Quicktime by default to connect to 80 and 554
    (Apple). Why?

    I have taken the approach you suggest above, to basically activate a
    block when being prompted by Little Snitch, but after invoking
    HelpViewer several times in an effort to get Little Snitch to act on it,
    I gave up, and then at some point it suddenly alerted me about
    HelpViewer trying to connecct -- can't remember what application right
    now -- so even though HelpViewer is sluggish when I'm offline and snappy
    when I'm online, it doesn't seem to try to connect each time if I'm to
    "believe" Little Snitch. Does this make sense?
    Charlie Guest

  16. #16

    * Andre Berger <de>, 2004-06-20 00:41 +0200:

    > Same thing here, waiting for the next update...[/ref]

    Reinstalled the 2004-05-24 Security update and the issue is gone.

    -Andre
    Andre Guest

  17. #17

    Charlie wrote:

    Yes, when they start up. It's usually an upgrade check,
    although it has sometimes been associated with registration.
    There was some issue about this in regard to CS IIRC.

    QT checks for updates and codecs.

    It will try to connect, regardless of what Snitch says. Apply
    security patch 06/07/04 to prevent it being used for protocols
    other than http.
    George Guest