Professional Web Applications Themes

og or S-Video in, G4 MDD - Mac Applications & Software

Simple, frivilous need... I'd like to hook my Playstation 2 up to my G4 MDD (dual 1.4GHz) so I don't have to hijack the television from my wife and kid whenever I want ot play a Playstation game. What's the best card (if any), or other solution, these days to facilitate this? Thanks in advance. -- Plaz...

  1. #1

    Default og or S-Video in, G4 MDD

    --
    Plaz
    Plaz Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: og or S-Video in, G4 MDD

    In article
    <giganews.com>,
    Plaz <invalid> wrote:

    I do not think you want to hook your Playstation to your Mac per se, you
    want to share the monitor. Look for conversion cables or boxes that
    allow you to hook your monitor to the Playstation.
    RufusTFirefly Guest

  3. #3

    In article <west.earthlink.net>,
    RufusTFirefly <com> wrote:

    > I do not think you want to hook your Playstation to your Mac per se, you
    > want to share the monitor. Look for conversion cables or boxes that
    > allow you to hook your monitor to the Playstation.[/ref]

    I think a hardware/software pass-through would be preferable. I'm
    already sharing my monitor (Cinema HD Display) with a Windows box
    using a Dr. Bott MoniSwitch. I'd rather not throw another variable
    into that mix. I don't know if I even could, considering the ADC
    connection.

    --
    Plaz
    Plaz Guest

  4. #4

    In article
    <giganews.com>,
    Plaz <invalid> wrote:

    > > I do not think you want to hook your Playstation to your Mac per se, you
    > > want to share the monitor. Look for conversion cables or boxes that
    > > allow you to hook your monitor to the Playstation.[/ref]
    >
    > I think a hardware/software pass-through would be preferable. I'm
    > already sharing my monitor (Cinema HD Display) with a Windows box
    > using a Dr. Bott MoniSwitch. I'd rather not throw another variable
    > into that mix. I don't know if I even could, considering the ADC
    > connection.[/ref]

    I have a device called the JAM! (since discontinued) that is used for
    attaching VGA computer monitors to og video sources (marketed to
    PlayStation/Nintendo users) including passing through the VGA signal
    back to the computer. I used it to display the S-video output from my
    8500, and then an S-video VCR, onto an old 640x480 monitor. It will not
    work with a monitor that does not output 640x480 at 60 Hz (e.g. not my
    old Apple 13" Hi-Res display). It certainly won't work with a Cinema
    Display.

    I have in my PowerMac G4 MDD the Televio TV/og video capture card.
    It has S-video and RCA video input that is at least as good as the
    S-video ports on my ol' 8500. It should do what you want. It is $150
    from Dr. Bott, though I doubt 640x480 will look as good scaled up on a
    Cinema Display as it does on an old VGA monitor.

    --
    Chicago, IL
    Remove "GO" to reply.

  5. #5

    In article <news.rcn.net>,
    Phil Lefebvre <edu> wrote:

    Thanks for the pointers!

    Are there any digitizer/capture cards anyone knows of that can take an
    S-Video or og input and render it at greater than 640x480 natively?

    --
    Plaz
    Plaz Guest

  6. #6

    In article
    <giganews.com>,
    Plaz <invalid> wrote:

    > Thanks for the pointers!
    >
    > Are there any digitizer/capture cards anyone knows of that can take an
    > S-Video or og input and render it at greater than 640x480 natively?[/ref]

    Well, that's the basic standard for og video. IOW, even if the card
    could render it, it is only getting 640x480 input from the source
    anyway. It would still have to interpolate, which is what graphics cards
    already do.

    --
    Chicago, IL
    Remove "GO" to reply.

  7. #7

    Phil Lefebvre <edu> writes in article <news.rcn.net> dated Tue, 16 Sep 2003 22:37:56 -0500:

    >Well, that's the basic standard for og video. IOW, even if the card
    >could render it, it is only getting 640x480 input from the source
    >anyway. It would still have to interpolate, which is what graphics cards
    >already do.[/ref]

    Actually the NTSC video standard is 525 lines, interlaced. The number of
    columns depends on the quality of your ong input signal. If it has been
    demodulated in a 4MHz bandwidth, the best you can hope for is 254 pixels per
    line, and that's assuming a black-and-white signal.

    To keep the pixels square using an aspect ratio of 4:3, it might be
    reasonable for a video capture device to give you 700x525.

    http://archive.ncsa.uiuc.edu/SCMS/training/general/details/ntsc.html

    --Keith Lewis klewis$mitre.org
    The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.
    Keith Guest