hide/show edges that's all that was needed, i must have pressed "ctrl+h" by accident which basically hides / shows edges! [allowsmilie] => 1 [showsignature] => 0 [ipaddress] => [iconid] => 0 [visible] => 1 [attach] => 0 [infraction] => 0 [reportthreadid] => 0 [isusenetpost] => 0 [msgid] => [ref] => [htmlstate] => on_nl2br [postusername] => dina_kalo [ip] => 85.75.182.181 [isdeleted] => 0 [usergroupid] => [membergroupids] => [displaygroupid] => [password] => [passworddate] => [email] => [styleid] => [parentemail] => [homepage] => [icq] => [aim] => [yahoo] => [msn] => [skype] => [showvbcode] => [showbirthday] => [usertitle] => [customtitle] => [joindate] => [daysprune] => [lastvisit] => [lastactivity] => [lastpost] => [lastpostid] => [posts] => [reputation] => [reputationlevelid] => [timezoneoffset] => [pmpopup] => [avatarid] => [avatarrevision] => [profilepicrevision] => [sigpicrevision] => [options] => [akvbghsfs_optionsfield] => [birthday] => [birthday_search] => [maxposts] => [startofweek] => [referrerid] => [languageid] => [emailstamp] => [threadedmode] => [autosubscribe] => [pmtotal] => [pmunread] => [salt] => [ipoints] => [infractions] => [warnings] => [infractiongroupids] => [infractiongroupid] => [adminoptions] => [profilevisits] => [friendcount] => [friendreqcount] => [vmunreadcount] => [vmmoderatedcount] => [socgroupinvitecount] => [socgroupreqcount] => [pcunreadcount] => [pcmoderatedcount] => [gmmoderatedcount] => [assetposthash] => [fbuserid] => [fbjoindate] => [fbname] => [logintype] => [fbaccesstoken] => [newrepcount] => [vbseo_likes_in] => [vbseo_likes_out] => [vbseo_likes_unread] => [temp] => [field1] => [field2] => [field3] => [field4] => [field5] => [subfolders] => [pmfolders] => [buddylist] => [ignorelist] => [signature] => [searchprefs] => [rank] => [icontitle] => [iconpath] => [avatarpath] => [hascustomavatar] => 0 [avatardateline] => [avwidth] => [avheight] => [edit_userid] => [edit_username] => [edit_dateline] => [edit_reason] => [hashistory] => [pagetext_html] => [hasimages] => [signatureparsed] => [sighasimages] => [sigpic] => [sigpicdateline] => [sigpicwidth] => [sigpicheight] => [postcount] => 18 [islastshown] => [isfirstshown] => [attachments] => [allattachments] => ) --> Anchor points not shown when using direct selection tool - Adobe Illustrator Windows
Professional Web Applications Themes

Anchor points not shown when using direct selection tool - Adobe Illustrator Windows

Hi All, I'm working with a file containing several objects and groups. When I use the direct selection tool to select an individual, basic object, I would expect to see a border and anchor points to appear around the object, allowing me to easily modify the corner points. But this doesn't happen - I don't see anything except when I click and drag the object the border appears for the duration of the drag then disappears. It's making it really difficult to change the corner points. The weird thing is that if I create a new doent, add a rectangle, ...

  1. #1

    Default Anchor points not shown when using direct selection tool

    Hi All,

    I'm working with a file containing several objects and groups. When I use
    the direct selection tool to select an individual, basic object, I would
    expect to see a border and anchor points to appear around the object,
    allowing me to easily modify the corner points. But this doesn't happen - I
    don't see anything except when I click and drag the object the border
    appears for the duration of the drag then disappears. It's making it really
    difficult to change the corner points.

    The weird thing is that if I create a new doent, add a rectangle, all
    anchor points and border appears as expected.
    I can't find any difference in settings between the two doents, I've just
    deleted the prefs file, which made no difference. I'm running a Illustrator
    10.0.3 on XP Pro.

    Any ideas, this is driving me insane?

    Thanks in advance,
    Simon

    Simon_Wyse@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Simon,

    You should get the object's bounding box with it's eight handles (white boxes)and all points (smaller than handles) ONLY when you use the Selection tool (if you have VIEW, SHOW BOUNDING BOX opted). When you use the Direct Selection tool, you'll ONLY get the anchor points on the path. I believe you are looking for the Handles of the Bounding Box, not anchor points.

    Bob
    BobHill@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Bob,

    I'm getting the eight handles when using the Selection tool, Show Bounding
    Box is enabled. I don't see any anchor points around the path when I click
    the object with the Direct Selection Tool. In fact, it appears to do
    nothing - the cursor changes from a white to black arrow when I click the
    mouse, but no anchor points are displayed. I'm looking for the anchor points
    as I'm trying to change the object's shape.

    Simon

  4. #4

    Simon,

    Did you first select the object with the Selection tool prior to choosing the Direct Selection tool? Or you have to click on the path with the Direct Selection tool, of course. Points are very small and do not increase in size if you zoom in, so you do have to loop carefully. If you still don't see any points (even a straight line will have one point on each end of the line, with or without a stroke), then delete your AIPrefs file with Illustrator closed. Next time you install it, you should get your points back.

  5. #5

    I am having the same problem which occurs intermittently running Win2K. Clicking on an object with direct selection tool sometimes does not reveal the points. Did deleting the AIPrefs file work Simon?

    Jacqui
    Jacqui_Dervan@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    You need to select "Show edges". It's under one of those menus (I can't remember which at the moment because I'm still learning ai and I'm at work now). This will reveal the all the anchor points and direction lines. Enjoy!
    JTD@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Ctrl-H, or View>Show Edges.

    Occasionally you may hit Ctrl-H by accident when you're trying to hit Ctrl-[Neighbor of H]. Then the fun begins... The setting is saved with the doent, so going from one to another doc the "problem" appears and disappears.

    Bert
    B. Philippus Guest

  8. #8

    Guys,

    Check View > Show Edges.

    Matt

    [email]Jacqui_Dervanadobeforums.com[/email] wrote in message news:<3bb446e6.3webx.la2eafNXanI>...
    > I am having the same problem which occurs intermittently running Win2K. Clicking on an object with direct selection tool sometimes does not reveal the points. Did deleting the AIPrefs file work Simon?
    >
    > Jacqui
    Matt Guest

  9. #9

    Thank you all!

    I've had the same problem and Ctrl-H did the trick!

    This is a wonderful place!
    clocksnmirrors@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Default Excellent!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by JTDadobeforums.com View Post
    You need to select "Show edges". It's under one of those menus (I can't remember which at the moment because I'm still learning ai and I'm at work now). This will reveal the all the anchor points and direction lines. Enjoy!
    This worked! Thank you much, something new learned.
    Unregistered Guest

  11. #11

    Thumbs up Re: Anchor points not shown when using direct selection tool

    Thank you very much to those who suggested Show Edges. Must have hit Ctrl+H when trying to group something :) Drove me mad for a few minutes.

    Cheers
    Alex
    Unregistered Guest

  12. #12

    Thank you for the Control+H!!!!
    Unregistered Guest

  13. #13

    Red face Re: Anchor points not shown when using direct selection tool

    I had the same issue with not seeing the anchor points when using the direct selection tool. Bert, your answer saved the day! Thank you, thank you, thank you. I was so frustrated.

    Quote Originally Posted by B. Philippus View Post

  14. #14

    Thanks for ctrl+H trick, I had that problem in the past and couldn't remember the shortcut for the life of me.
    Could you tell us what it controls? And where to find it in the menus?
    Unregistered Guest

  15. #15

    top menu/ view /show bounding box
    raj kr singh Guest

  16. #16

    yes the solution is "Show edges" yeahhh... thanks !!!
    jersahi Guest

  17. #17

    Cool Re: Anchor points not shown when using direct selection tool

    This was driving me crazy - Thanks!
    Miranda Guest

  18. #18

    Quote Originally Posted by jtdadobeforums.com View Post
    you need to select "show edges". It's under one of those menus (i can't remember which at the moment because i'm still learning ai and i'm at work now). This will reveal the all the anchor points and direction lines. Enjoy!

    this works!
    It's under view--> hide/show edges
    that's all that was needed, i must have pressed "ctrl+h" by accident which basically hides / shows edges!
    dina_kalo Guest

  19. #19

    Quote Originally Posted by JTDadobeforums.com View Post
    You need to select "Show edges". It's under one of those menus (I can't remember which at the moment because I'm still learning ai and I'm at work now). This will reveal the all the anchor points and direction lines. Enjoy!
    Thank you that was my problem also and that seemed to do the trick.
    Unregistered Guest

  20. #20

    Red face Re: Anchor points not shown when using direct selection tool

    Quote Originally Posted by JTDadobeforums.com View Post
    You need to select "Show edges". It's under one of those menus (I can't remember which at the moment because I'm still learning ai and I'm at work now). This will reveal the all the anchor points and direction lines. Enjoy!
    Thanks that worked for me! Was driving me mad!
    Unregistered Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast