Professional Web Applications Themes

Anchored Object Options - Adobe Indesign Windows

Let me make this a quick question. If you need further clarification, let me know. This situation has to do with the new in Indesign CS2 feature, anchored object options I created a line graphic, which underlines a heading style. The line graphic was copied in the text frame, which allows me access to the anchored object options. In fact, I created an object frame style for these lines. The problem lies in the relative position option group. The line graphic appears correctly under the text on odd pages; and appears on the wrong side on even pages. I have ...

  1. #1

    Default Anchored Object Options

    Let me make this a quick question. If you need further clarification,
    let me know. This situation has to do with the new in Indesign CS2
    feature, anchored object options

    I created a line graphic, which underlines a heading style. The line
    graphic was copied in the text frame, which allows me access to the
    anchored object options. In fact, I created an object frame style for
    these lines. The problem lies in the relative position option group.

    The line graphic appears correctly under the text on odd pages; and
    appears on the wrong side on even pages. I have tried changing the
    relative to spine and anchor position reference points. Indesign links
    reference points together; so if you select a reference point on the
    outside of the page; the even page remains on the outside too (from
    the spine). If you select a anchor reference point on the inside, the
    selection modifies the even page. Try it out yourself for a better
    illustration.

    The net effect means that the lines appear on the left side on odd
    pages and appear on the right side for even pages. The situation is
    counter-intuitive. The obvious workaround may be creating two object
    styles; one for even pages; and the other for odd pages. Hopefully,
    someone could provide me with additional insight on how this feature
    works before putting time in the workaround.
    Decker Guest

  2. #2

    Let me make this a quick question. If you need further clarification, let me know. This situation has to do with the new in InDesign CS2 feature, anchored object options

    I created a line graphic, which underlines a heading style. The line graphic was copied in the text frame, which allows me access to the anchored object options. In fact, I created an object frame style for these lines. The issue lies in the relative position option group.

    The line graphic appears correctly under the text on odd pages; and appears on the wrong side on even pages. I have tried changing the relative to spine and anchor position reference points. InDesign links reference points together; so if you select a reference point on the outside of the page; the even page remains on the outside relative to the spine. If you select an anchor reference point on the inside, the selection modifies the even page relative to the spine.

    Try it out yourself for a better illustration. Take a two page layout. Copy a graphic image inline with text on both pages. Create an Object Style for the image frame. Edit the Object Style and select Anchored Object Options. Play around with the reference points for both anchor.

    The net effect means that the lines appear on the left side on odd pages and appear on the right side for even pages. The situation is counter-intuitive. The obvious workaround may be creating two object styles; one for odd pages; and the other for even pages. How does this new feature work? Hopefully, someone could provide me with additional insight before I put time in the workaround.
    robert_neville@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: Anchored Object Options

    I really don't see what you mean. The effect of relative to spine is exactly as one would expect. See e.g. the help file with the asterisk outside a textframe.

    If you want a line that aligns with the outside of a textframe (heading or not), choose the outside of the line as reference point. It will be at the left on left pages and on the right on right pages.

    Could you clarify what you want?

    Teus
    Teus_de_Jong@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    You have to try the exercise to understand the illustration. In a nutshell, the reference point can not be independently set for odd or even pages. When you select a reference point on the odd page, InDesign automatically sets it on the even page. In practice, it produces unpredictable results in some designs. I am looking for insight on using this feature since this scenario may be a bug.
    robert_neville@adobeforums.com Guest