Professional Web Applications Themes

And What About ... - Photography

OK, this may be a naive question, and it may have been discussed before (though I can't find much anywhere), but I was just wondering why the Kodak, Fuji, and Linhof digital cameras are seemingly absent from the debate? The Kodak and Linhof offer full-frame sensors with a Nikon lens mount (the Kodak has a Canon version too). The Fuji's seem to be readily available used. So, as someone who will likely have to enter the digital market with a used body, what's so bad about these cameras that they get little or no mention here? Would I be better ...

  1. #1

    Default And What About ...

    OK, this may be a naive question, and it may have been discussed before
    (though I can't find much anywhere), but I was just wondering why the Kodak,
    Fuji, and Linhof digital cameras are seemingly absent from the debate?

    The Kodak and Linhof offer full-frame sensors with a Nikon lens mount (the
    Kodak has a Canon version too). The Fuji's seem to be readily available
    used. So, as someone who will likely have to enter the digital market with
    a used body, what's so bad about these cameras that they get little or no
    mention here? Would I be better off with a consumer level Nikon or Canon
    (or Minolta or Olympus)?

    If someone can point me to a summary of the issues, that would be great.
    Thanks!

    Walt

    Walt Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: And What About ...

    "Walt Hanks" <net> wrote in message
    The Kodak cameras are rather expensive, and they've had problems with noise
    over ISO 100 and moiré. And they're based on basic consumer level bodies,
    but shoved, willy nilly, into the pro arena. The Nikon mount version is
    based on the Nikon N80, the Canon version on the Sigma SD9. There is a
    certain distrust of Sigma around here, and many feel the body may not be
    rugged enough for the rough and tumble of pro use.
    As far as the Fuji S3 Pro, I really have no idea why it doesn't enter into
    discussions more, except possibly because of cost and that it, too, is based
    on the Nikon N80. I don't think the Linhof is widely known, or available,
    in fact, it was only recently that I had even heard of it...

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip Guest

  3. #3

    "Walt Hanks" <net> writes:

    Quite a few people have the Fuji S2. I like mine quite well; I bought
    it when the alternative was the Nikon D100, and I'm quite happy with
    my choice. I'm not really clear that the S3 offers a lot of
    improvement, though, whereas the D70 improves on the D100 in many ways
    and cuts the price a lot.

    The Kodak 14n gets good reviews as a studio camera from the people
    who've used it, and a lot of random hatred it sounds like from people
    who haven't. I haven't used it, but if I were looking to add a studio
    camera it'd be my immediate choice.

    The main reason you don't hear these mentioned much now, I think, is
    that they're *old* by the standards of digital photography. We tend
    to talk about news.
    --
    David Dyer-Bennet, <mailto:net>, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>
    David Guest

  4. #4

    The Nikon version Kodak is probably still the "best" dSLR out there: it
    would probably be my first choice for a studio digital camera. However it is
    big, heavy and costs more than twice as much as consumer dSLRs. Take a look
    at the "pro" Canon dSLRs in a camera store. You would not want to carry one
    of those beasts around your neck under almost any cirstances. I have
    never seen a good article, as opposed to much of the faith based diatribes
    that appear on this newsgroup, as to why that Kodak full frame sensor has
    not migrated down to consumer level cameras. The Fuji is an excellent dSLR
    but on price gets beaten by Nikon in the consumer arena.

    bmoag Guest

  5. #5

    Walt Hanks wrote:

    --Fujifilm's S1..3 series are aimed at Nikon lens owners, mostly pro.

    --Kodak's 14 (both flavours) is simialarly aimed.

    --Linhof digital? They're not even mentioned on dpreview afaict, and I don't
    think they have anything at the "35mm" scale. So they're a bit under the radar
    or probably simply OT for this NG. Definite pro territory.
    http://www.linhof.com/english/index.html look up digital there and it is a print
    quality control system they show...

    --All rounders: the Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Oly, Minolta solutions are pretty
    mainstream camera systems. People are famillar with their names, their
    products; many people are invested (glass/flash) and so it goes.

    --The more common manufs above are accessible. Can you get your hands on a
    Linhof or even a Kodak 14 (any variant) to touch and feel it?

    It would be best that their are innovative and/or bleeding edge quality
    companies to keep the more gneral guys on their toes of course.

    For us mere mortal$, the main OEM's will be both out main source of supply and
    discussion in this NG.

    As long as the discussion is an SLR digital camera or its components, it is of
    course very welcome here regardless of who makes it.

    Cheers,
    Alan
    Alan Guest

  6. #6

    "Alan Browne" <ca> wrote in message

    The Linhof is available from B&H for $4500 - the same as a D2x and much less
    than the Canon beast. Unfortunately, the listing is rather short on
    technical details.

    Walt

    Walt Guest

  7. #7

    > The Linhof is available from B&H for $4500 - the same as a D2x and much
    > less than the Canon beast. Unfortunately, the listing is rather short on
    > technical details.
    >
    > Walt[/ref]

    No it isn't!!! Geez, my brain is gone. It's a Horseman, not a Linhoff. The
    Horseman Digiflex II takes Nikon lenses and any digital back with a
    Hasselblad mount. It's $4600 at Adorama and $5100 at B&H. It supposedly
    provides "35mm operating convenience" with the higher resolution of MF
    digital backs.

    Anyone seen one in action?

    Too pricey, I know, since the price quoted does not include a back.

    Sorry for the mix-up!

    Walt

    Walt Guest

  8. #8

    the cheapest I've seen the current 22mb back advertised is around $29770
    (£15480 inc vat)

    >> The Linhof is available from B&H for $4500 - the same as a D2x and much
    >> less than the Canon beast. Unfortunately, the listing is rather short on
    >> technical details.
    >>
    >> Walt[/ref]
    >
    > No it isn't!!! Geez, my brain is gone. It's a Horseman, not a Linhoff.
    > The Horseman Digiflex II takes Nikon lenses and any digital back with a
    > Hasselblad mount. It's $4600 at Adorama and $5100 at B&H. It supposedly
    > provides "35mm operating convenience" with the higher resolution of MF
    > digital backs.
    >
    > Anyone seen one in action?
    >
    > Too pricey, I know, since the price quoted does not include a back.
    >
    > Sorry for the mix-up!
    >
    > Walt
    >[/ref]

    canongirly Guest

  9. #9

    "canongirly" <tv> wrote in message

    I've seen the entry level Hasselblad back advertised for around $10K. Still
    makes for a mighty pricey digital SLR.

    Walt

    Walt Guest