Professional Web Applications Themes

Andy Warhol and screen printing - Adobe Illustrator Macintosh

I am in the progress of carry out screen printing using illustrator only. Each layer will be print in black on inkjet transparencies. Have any of you guys tried this? I know that Photoshop work ideally but I am trying out different approach. I went to see the work of Andy Warhol and his mass production of famous icons at Modern Tate in London on Friday night. Great stuff! I love to experiment. The progress will involve different papers and inks. Any tips or tricks are welcome for the next few weeks before I start....

  1. #1

    Default Andy Warhol and screen printing

    Simon_P_Cooper@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Andy Warhol and screen printing

    You speak about printing here. Do you about the availability of plug-ins to cut your layers from Adobe Illustrator on a cutting plotter so you obtain the mask required to screen print your vector artwork ?

    Philippe JACQUES
    Author of the MagiSign plug-in
    <http://www.magisign.com>
    Philippe_JACQUES@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Philippe,

    Thanks for your input, I will look up MagiSgn plug-in
    Simon_P_Cooper@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    I'm not an expert on screenprinting, but I've been told that if you save each color in AI as "spot color" and when printing, print with separations, then it prints everything in black and automatically seprartes the color.

    I haven't tried it myself, so if you figure it out, let me know.
    gsx292@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Spot colors is indeed the way to go. We do it here all day long. You can select black to overprint colors if you want, or you can knock out colors from one another.

    In the swatches pallette, if you double-click a swatch, it brings up a dialog where you can chooses between process and spot color. When you select spot, you'll get a little traingle with a dot in it on the lower-right side of your swatch.

    You have to turn off the "convert to process" check-box in the separations set-up in order to print spot plates, as it is on by default. Or, alternatively, save your file as an .eps and output from Quark.

    Hope that helps,

    Chris
    chris_vreeland@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Are we talking about using ink-jet transparencies to expose emulsion treated silkscreens?

    Or are we talking about using ink-jet transparencies themselves as part of multimedia artwork?
    John_Slate@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    My aim is to print ink-jet transparencies in black for use with screen printing by hand. Thanks guys for the feedback.
    Simon_P_Cooper@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    You are cutting by hand? Or by exposing the emulsion with the ultraviolet (or is infra red) light?

    Jacque has a very good idea with a plotter I am thinking of looking into this myself.
    Wade_Zimmerman@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Wade,
    Yes, by exposing the emulsion with ultraviolet. I am looking forward to this. It should be very exciting for me. As a Fine Artist I am doing a limited edition prints on different papers and inks. I tried this in Photoshop it work really well, but again I am looking at new ways of mixing traditional and digital technology. I just want to see what the outcome will be like.
    Simon_P_Cooper@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    I think you will be fine as you plan to accomplish this.
    Wade_Zimmerman@adobeforums.com Guest