Professional Web Applications Themes

Animated BackDrop (3D) - Macromedia Director 3D

Hello, I am currently trying to insert an animated backdrop into a 3d scene, and am encountering some difficulties. My problem is first, that I only want a small area of the backdrop animated. Now, I cant use overlays for this as the animated sections need to appear behind the 3d object in my scene. I have tried layering multiple images on the camera.backdrop, but it seems it will only display the backdrop that is highest up in the cameras backdrop list at any one time. This forces me to have all the animation on an 800x600 image, instead of ...

  1. #1

    Default Animated BackDrop (3D)

    Hello,
    I am currently trying to insert an animated backdrop into a 3d scene, and
    am encountering some difficulties.

    My problem is first, that I only want a small area of the backdrop animated.
    Now, I cant use overlays for this as the animated sections need to appear
    behind the 3d object in my scene. I have tried layering multiple images on the
    camera.backdrop, but it seems it will only display the backdrop that is highest
    up in the cameras backdrop list at any one time. This forces me to have all the
    animation on an 800x600 image, instead of an large still image for the backdrop
    and small 50x50 animations placed around it. This is unlike the
    Cameras.Overlay, which will display multiple Overlays (obviously if they have
    an alpha or arn't ontop of each other).

    Currently I have a function, that on Start Movie, will build a lists of all
    the frames from my cast for each animation. So I give it Smoke_Anim as the name
    and it will search the cast and build a list of anything Matching Smoke_Anim_1
    or _2 or _3 etc. etc.. On Prepare Frame, I then Increment through this list,
    finding what frame its on. deleting that frame from the Overlay and replaceing
    it with the next frame of animatio. This works fine for a small animation thats
    mabey 25kb per frame, but when I try to use this method on an entire backdrop
    (800x600) the frames are just too big too handle.. even compressed as .jpg they
    are 300kb, And its having problems swapping them 30 Frames per second

    Could anyone suggest an alternative method, or tell me what Im doing wrong. I
    checked out the available tutorials on backdrops and grabbed the lingo behavior
    by 'Christophe Leske'. Even though this has a tick box for animated images (so
    it updates everyframe) I dont see how to use it, as apparently the backdrop can
    only be of these types (#bitmap, #vectorShape, #flash, #text). What would have
    been very handy is if I could have just put a quicktime or avi as the
    background.

    Any help Greatly Appriciated - Thanks in Advance

    Rob

    rmawatson Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Animated BackDrop (3D)

    Hi, I have recently been using video in director 3d utilsing code modified from
    a tutorial hosted here adobe:

    http://www.adobe.com/devnet/director/articles/streaming_video.html

    I have found the best results come from embeding your movie as a .swf in the
    miaw .dir. In addition tom higgins did a little on using video in shockwave 3d:

    http://poppy.macromedia.com/~thiggins/articles/videotextures/_archive/index.htm

    If you dont want to go down the video path you may be able to use the
    undoented nextcamera call to stack your backdrops. Not sure tho but here is
    a ref just in case:

    http://nuttybar.drama.uga.edu/pipermail/dir3d-l/2004-March/005690.html

    hope this is of some help, pop

    popgodabubble Guest

  3. #3

    [q]Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
    it seems it will only display the backdrop that is highest
    up in the cameras backdrop list at any one time
    [/i]

    This is not the case. You can layer backdrops in just the same way that you
    can layer overlays. If you first create a large backdrop, then create your
    small secondary backdrop, the second backdrop will be visible over the first.

    To change the image of the second backdrop, simply assign a new image to the
    texture that the backdrop is using. Or for for better execution speed, create
    separate textures for each image of your animation at startup, then just assign
    the backdrop's texture property directly.

    hope this helps!

    - Ben

    duckets Guest