Professional Web Applications Themes

Animated fading - Macromedia Fireworks

Hi-- I would like to create an animated image for a home page for a glasser . He wants a vase that fades into a second vase that fades into a third vase, etc. I'm using Fireworks 3, and I can get the images of the vases to change, but I can't figure out how to get the fade effect. Can this be done in FW? Or do I need to spend $$$ and get Flash? Thanks....

  1. #1

    Default Animated fading

    Hi--

    I would like to create an animated image for a home page for a glasser .
    He wants a vase that fades into a second vase that fades into a third vase,
    etc. I'm using Fireworks 3, and I can get the images of the vases to
    change, but I can't figure out how to get the fade effect.

    Can this be done in FW? Or do I need to spend $$$ and get Flash?

    Thanks.

    whitecarp Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Animated fading

    On Thu 24 Jul 2003 03:44:36p, whitecarp wrote in macromedia.fireworks:
    > I would like to create an animated image for a home page for a
    > glasser . He wants a vase that fades into a second vase that fades
    > into a third vase, etc. I'm using Fireworks 3, and I can get the
    > images of the vases to change, but I can't figure out how to get the
    > fade effect.
    >
    > Can this be done in FW? Or do I need to spend $$$ and get Flash?
    You can do it with an animated .gif, but from what I've seen, Flash would
    probably be better. However, discuss with your client the value added by
    the animation vs bandwidth usage.

    If you do decide to go for Flash, check the pricing on standalone Flash,
    and compare it with (upgrade) pricing on Studio MX. The difference in the
    MX apps is worth it.
    Joe Makowiec Guest

  3. #3

    Maybe someone will chime in with more expert advice, but basically the
    problem with animated gif, apart from the gif "banded" appearance when
    pushing for lower file sizes, is that you will basically need to download
    the equivalent of one gif image for each frame, whereas flash will download
    the picture once and animate (or fade) it. Flash is usually the lower
    bandwidth option. No way to tell the final numbers without creating it, as
    it depends on a lot of factors.

    Chet

    "whitecarp" <jwhittakerwhitecarp.com> wrote in message
    > Hi--
    >
    > I would like to create an animated image for a home page for a glasser
    ..
    > He wants a vase that fades into a second vase that fades into a third
    vase,
    > etc. I'm using Fireworks 3, and I can get the images of the vases to
    > change, but I can't figure out how to get the fade effect.
    >
    > Can this be done in FW? Or do I need to spend $$$ and get Flash?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Chester Harold Guest

  4. #4

    whitecarp wrote:
    >Hi--
    >
    >I would like to create an animated image for a home page for a glasser .
    >He wants a vase that fades into a second vase that fades into a third vase,
    >etc. I'm using Fireworks 3, and I can get the images of the vases to
    >change, but I can't figure out how to get the fade effect.
    >
    >Can this be done in FW? Or do I need to spend $$$ and get Flash?
    >
    >Thanks.

    Yes you can do this in Fireworks. There is a TechNote about it at:

    <http://www.macromedia.com/support/fireworks/ts/doents/visit_me.htm>

    --
    enthusiastically,
    mark haynes

    Announcing Macromedia DevNet Subscriptions
    Maximize your power with our new premium software subscription for Macromedia developers
    Find out more: [url]http://www.macromedia.com/go/devnetsubs/[/url]

    mark haynes Guest

  5. #5

    If Marja's extension is not suitable, and the cost of purchasing Flash is an
    obstacle, I'd be only too happy to create a simple transition animation for
    you. Hell, you're only talking 5 minutes work!
    Gimme a call any time.
    John Mc
    "Chester Harold" <nonenone.com> wrote in message
    > Maybe someone will chime in with more expert advice, but basically the
    > problem with animated gif, apart from the gif "banded" appearance when
    > pushing for lower file sizes, is that you will basically need to download
    > the equivalent of one gif image for each frame, whereas flash will
    download
    > the picture once and animate (or fade) it. Flash is usually the lower
    > bandwidth option. No way to tell the final numbers without creating it,
    as
    > it depends on a lot of factors.
    >
    > Chet
    >
    > "whitecarp" <jwhittakerwhitecarp.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi--
    > >
    > > I would like to create an animated image for a home page for a
    glasser
    > .
    > > He wants a vase that fades into a second vase that fades into a third
    > vase,
    > > etc. I'm using Fireworks 3, and I can get the images of the vases to
    > > change, but I can't figure out how to get the fade effect.
    > >
    > > Can this be done in FW? Or do I need to spend $$$ and get Flash?
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    john Guest

  6. #6

    It depends on how much "mojo" you add to it. :)

    BR

    "Chester Harold" <nonenone.com> wrote in message
    > Maybe someone will chime in with more expert advice, but basically the
    > problem with animated gif, apart from the gif "banded" appearance when
    > pushing for lower file sizes, is that you will basically need to download
    > the equivalent of one gif image for each frame, whereas flash will
    download
    > the picture once and animate (or fade) it. Flash is usually the lower
    > bandwidth option. No way to tell the final numbers without creating it,
    as
    > it depends on a lot of factors.
    >
    > Chet
    >
    > "whitecarp" <jwhittakerwhitecarp.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi--
    > >
    > > I would like to create an animated image for a home page for a
    glasser
    > .
    > > He wants a vase that fades into a second vase that fades into a third
    > vase,
    > > etc. I'm using Fireworks 3, and I can get the images of the vases to
    > > change, but I can't figure out how to get the fade effect.
    > >
    > > Can this be done in FW? Or do I need to spend $$$ and get Flash?
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    Bill Ray Guest