Professional Web Applications Themes

[ANN] Instiki: There's no step three - Ruby

What is Instiki? ================ Admitted, it's Yet Another Wiki Clone[1], but with a strong focus on simplicity of installation and running: Step 1. Download Step 2. Run "insticki.rb 2505" Step 3. *Chuckle*... "There's no step three!" (TM) You're now running a perfectly suitable wiki on port 2505 that'll present you with a textarea for the home page on entering. Instiki lowers the barriers of interest for when you might consider using a wiki. It's so simple to get running that you'll find yourself using it for anything -- taking notes, brainstorming, organizing a gathering. Instiki reserves a separate WikiSpace for ...

  1. #1

    Default [ANN] Instiki: There's no step three

    What is Instiki?
    ================

    Admitted, it's Yet Another Wiki Clone[1], but with a strong focus
    on simplicity of installation and running:

    Step 1. Download
    Step 2. Run "insticki.rb 2505"
    Step 3. *Chuckle*... "There's no step three!" (TM)

    You're now running a perfectly suitable wiki on port 2505
    that'll present you with a textarea for the home page on entering.

    Instiki lowers the barriers of interest for when you might consider
    using a wiki. It's so simple to get running that you'll find yourself
    using it for anything -- taking notes, brainstorming, organizing a
    gathering.

    Instiki reserves a separate WikiSpace for each port number, so
    you can run more than one wiki by keeping them on separate ports.
    It also means that you can't access the same wiki on another port
    than the one you started it on (unless you move the directory in
    storage).

    Features:
    * Regular expression search: Find deep stuff really fast
    * Reference tracker: Which other pages are pointing to the current?
    * Speed: Using Madelein for persistence (all pages are in memory)
    * Textile formatting[2]: By ways of RedCloth
    * Embedded webserver: Through WEBrick

    Missing:
    * Revision control (last in wins!)
    * Access control (there's not even an explicit user concept)
    * File attachments

    Download latest from:
    http://rubyforge.org/project/showfiles.php?group_id=186

    License is the same as Ruby's

    [1] http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WikiWikiClones
    [2] Textile Syntax: http://www.textism.com/tools/textile/
    --
    David Heinemeier Hansson,
    http://www.basecamphq.com/ -- Web-based Project Management

    David Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: [ANN] Instiki: There's no step three

    David Heinemeier Hansson wrote:

    Unfortunately there is a step 3 with this release: check out insticki.rb
    from cvs because it's not included in the download.

    Cheers,
    Carsten

    Carsten Guest

  3. #3

    >> Step 1. Download
    >
    > Unfortunately there is a step 3 with this release: check out
    > insticki.rb from cvs because it's not included in the download.[/ref]

    DOH!

    That's what you get releasing software in the middle of the night with
    a y attitude :). It's all better now. Even includes a zip package
    for the unix-challenged.

  4. #4

    David Heinemeier Hansson wrote:

    >> Unfortunately there is a step 3 with this release: check out
    >> insticki.rb from cvs because it's not included in the download.[/ref]
    >

    > DOH!
    >
    > That's what you get releasing software in the middle of the night with
    > a y attitude :). It's all better now. Even includes a zip package
    > for the unix-challenged.[/ref]

    Great, it works now and is looking good at first sight. Unfortunately
    there's a nasty problem when I try this on Windows: it starts up alright
    (I created a shortcut to the instiki.rb with a port as argument), then I
    create and edit some pages, and then I close the cmd-window that was
    opened by the shortcut. Next time I try to start up instiki I get the
    error from madeleine, that it can't reload the database (data too
    short). So I guess the database doesn't survive the shutdown.

    Otherwise I like the approach taken by you and it is lightning fast! One
    suggestion: work with stylesheets in the templates and use them not only
    for presenting a wiki-page but also for the list, changes and search
    results to get an overall look to it.

    Cheers,
    Carsten.

    Carsten Guest

  5. #5

    > Great, it works now and is looking good at first sight. Unfortunately

    Hmmm. The point about Madelein (and prevaylence in general) is that you
    should be able to survive any sudden crash thanks to the combination of
    command log and snapshots. It sounds like Madelein has a problem on
    Windows, then (quick to pass the buck, he is :)). I can't te
    that behavior on my OS X machine. Could you see if it happens even if
    you send it a nice ctrl-c request to stop?

    Right. It's pretty unpolished. I have had it sitting on my desktop for
    six months meaning to clean it up. Never got around to it, so I thought
    it would be more use in a published, unpolished form than unpublished
    and unpolished :).

    I'm most welcome to patches, though. It shouldn't be a big task to
    apply the styles to the templates. They all reside in app/views/wiki.