Professional Web Applications Themes

[ANN] MacSOUP 2.5 (final) available - Mac Networking

MacSOUP 2.5 is no longer beta. There's yet another bunch of bug fixes since 2.5b3, and it includes a manual again. Available from: <http://home.snafu.de/stk/macsoup/> -- Stefan Haller Berlin, Germany [url]http://home.snafu.de/stk/[/url]...

  1. #1

    Default [ANN] MacSOUP 2.5 (final) available

    --
    Stefan Haller
    Berlin, Germany
    [url]http://home.snafu.de/stk/[/url]
    Stefan Haller Guest

  2. #2

    Default [ANN] MacSOUP F-2.5 (final) available

    In article (Dans l'article) <1fzsjl6.xdbw1h1raewjkN%stksnafu.de>,
    Stefan Haller <stksnafu.de> wrote (écrivait):
    > MacSOUP 2.5 is no longer beta.
    The French versions, F-2.5, of MacSOUP are now available at
    <ftp://ftp.sri.ucl.ac.be/pub/News/MacSOUP/>.

    And maybe soon on one of the mirrors :

    <ftp://ftp.calvacom.fr/pub/mac-fr/>
    <ftp://ftp.oleane.fr/pub/mirrors/version-francaise/>
    <ftp://ftp.free.fr/mirrors/ftp.sri.ucl.ac.be/>
    <ftp://ftp.ciril.fr/pub/Mac/UCL/>
    <ftp://ftp.cidif.org/mac/>
    <ftp://ftp.belnet.be/mirror/ftp.sri.ucl.ac.be/pub/>

    --
    Jean-Pierre Kuypers
    J.P. Kuypers Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: [ANN] MacSOUP 2.5 (final) available

    Stefan Haller <stksnafu.de> wrote:
    > MacSOUP 2.5 is no longer beta.
    > There's yet another bunch of bug fixes since 2.5b3, and it includes a
    > manual again.
    I haven't even noticed beta three!
    > Available from:
    > <http://home.snafu.de/stk/macsoup/>
    Marvelous!
    --
    Per Erik Rønne
    Per Rønne Guest

  4. #4

    Stefan Haller <stksnafu.de> wrote:
    > MacSOUP 2.5 is no longer beta.
    >
    > There's yet another bunch of bug fixes since 2.5b3, and it includes a
    > manual again.

    I couldn't thank you enough :-)))

    Corentin

    Corentin Cras-Méneur Guest

  5. #5

    Stefan Haller <stksnafu.de> wrote:
    > MacSOUP 2.5 is no longer beta.
    >
    > There's yet another bunch of bug fixes since 2.5b3, and it includes a
    > manual again.
    >

    > Available from:
    >
    > <http://home.snafu.de/stk/macsoup/>
    Thank you!

    --
    Kathy
    Kathy Morgan Guest

  6. #6

    In article <1fzwstr.4z7fgqh65p1tN%kmorganspamcop.net>,
    [email]kmorganspamcop.net[/email] (Kathy Morgan) wrote:
    >Thank you!
    Good Lord, Kathy. Fancy seeing you in uk.comp.sys.mac... Among other
    groups, of course.

    --
    Peter
    Peter Ceresole Guest

  7. #7

    Stefan Haller <stksnafu.de> wrote:
    > MacSOUP 2.5 is no longer beta.
    >
    > There's yet another bunch of bug fixes since 2.5b3, and it includes a
    > manual again.
    >

    > Available from:
    >
    > <http://home.snafu.de/stk/macsoup/>
    You've abandoned MacOS 8.x users. Why, if you don't mind me asking? I
    paid for MacSOUP and I use 8.6.
    MacSOUP 2.5 seems to run ok for me, but if I have a problem will I get
    no support at all?

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet
    Jamie Kahn Genet Guest

  8. #8

    Jamie Kahn Genet <jamiekge3.net.nz> wrote:
    > You've abandoned MacOS 8.x users.
    No, I haven't. All I said is that I can no longer guarantee that
    MacSOUP works well on old systems. If there are problems and I can do
    something about them with reasonable effort, I probably will; but I
    can't promise this.
    > Why, if you don't mind me asking?
    Because I no longer have a Mac that boots anything other than Mac OS X.
    I can test the Classic version of MacSOUP in the Classic Environment
    under OS X, that's about all I can do.

    Mind you, I did debug and fix a problem with 2.5b3 that caused a crash
    on one user's PB190 under 8.1 or so. It took me a lot of time though,
    so I may decide not to do this next time.
    > I paid for MacSOUP and I use 8.6.
    You paid for the 2.4 version of MacSOUP (or even an earlier version, I
    don't know). Fine, so go ahead and keep using 2.4.6, that version is
    not going to stop working.

    Most other software vendors only release versions for OS X these days.
    And most other companies would have charged you for an upgrade such as
    MacSOUP 2.5. I did neither, and you are still complaining. Funny.

  9. #9

    Jamie Kahn Genet <jamiekge3.net.nz> wrote:
    > If I thought it would make any difference I'd gladly purchase a new
    > license for MacSOUP. But I guess another US$20 isn't going to buy you an
    > older Mac.
    No, but not much more than that will buy you Mac OS 9.x on eBay, and any
    Mac that runs OS 8.6 can be upgraded to at least 9.1.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    <http://www.macconsult.com>
    <http://bogart-tribute.net>
    Mike Rosenberg Guest

  10. #10

    Mike Rosenberg <mikePOSTTOGROUP.invalid> wrote:
    > Jamie Kahn Genet <jamiekge3.net.nz> wrote:
    >
    > > If I thought it would make any difference I'd gladly purchase a new
    > > license for MacSOUP. But I guess another US$20 isn't going to buy you an
    > > older Mac.
    >
    > No, but not much more than that will buy you Mac OS 9.x on eBay, and any
    > Mac that runs OS 8.6 can be upgraded to at least 9.1.
    But cannot run many older programs I'm simply not prepared to live
    without. If 9.x had perfect (or even nearly perfect) compatibility with
    older Mac software I'd have upgraded asap. Sadly it doesn't.

    For sure my next Mac will run OSX, but I won't be getting rid of my
    current Mac for as long as it survives. It's about as new a machine as
    you can get with the most backward compatibility.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet
    Jamie Kahn Genet Guest

  11. #11

    Mike Rosenberg <mikePOSTTOGROUP.invalid> wrote:
    > Jamie Kahn Genet <jamiekge3.net.nz> wrote:
    >
    > > But cannot run many older programs I'm simply not prepared to live
    > > without. If 9.x had perfect (or even nearly perfect) compatibility with
    > > older Mac software I'd have upgraded asap. Sadly it doesn't.
    >
    > Examples, please? There are very few programs that run under 8.6 but
    > not 9.x, and many of those have updates available to make them OS
    > 9-compatible.
    There were much publicised changes to MacOS 9.x that broke many older
    applications, control panels and extensions. Just do a google search.

    Or try out a few old games from <http://mac.the-underdogs.org/>. Note
    that I am not suggesting you pirate older games. I _always_ make every
    effort to buy them new or secondhand rather than use such sites. I just
    can't think of a better list of old games, many of which break under
    9.x, off the top of my head.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet
    Jamie Kahn Genet Guest

  12. #12

    Stefan Haller <stksnafu.de> wrote:
    > MacSOUP 2.5 is no longer beta.
    >
    > There's yet another bunch of bug fixes since 2.5b3, and it includes a
    > manual again.
    Thanks for the update. While reading through the manual I came across
    this:

    Page 19:
    > StuffIt Expander can only decode binhexed and uuencoded files though. If you
    > receive a Base64 file, you can drop it onto Mpack 1.5 or onto YA-Base64.
    Recent versions of Stuffit Expander decode Base64 files for me.

    --
    The ears are too length.
    tim lindner [email]tlindnerix.netcom.com[/email]

  13. #13

    tim lindner <tlindnerix.netcom.com> wrote:
    > Stefan Haller <stksnafu.de> wrote:
    >
    > > MacSOUP 2.5 is no longer beta.
    > >
    > > There's yet another bunch of bug fixes since 2.5b3, and it includes a
    > > manual again.
    >
    > Thanks for the update. While reading through the manual I came across
    > this:
    >
    > Page 19:
    >
    > > StuffIt Expander can only decode binhexed and uuencoded files though. If you
    > > receive a Base64 file, you can drop it onto Mpack 1.5 or onto YA-Base64.
    >
    > Recent versions of Stuffit Expander decode Base64 files for me.
    Stuffit may _say_ it can decode certain files, but there's a reason I
    keep handy utilities like MacRAR, Mpack and STUU1 around. For every ten
    files Stuffit handles ok, there's at least one it s up decoding,
    even (to my initial amusement and later disgust) it's own sit format.
    For such a mature program this is not what I'd expect.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet
    Jamie Kahn Genet Guest