Professional Web Applications Themes

[ANN] Metrowerks Online Community and Support - Mac Programming

CodeWarriors I am pleased to announce that Metrowerks Online Support and Community are now available. These enhanced support offerings give you the ability to interact with us in a new way, and improve the quality of support you receive. Our new support offerings enable customers to communicate with the Metrowerks support team and other developers. Metrowerks new Online Support <http://www.metrowerks.com/Online_Support> and Community <http://www.metrowerks.com/community> features the ability to submit and track service requests online and to search the Metrowerks Knowledge Base, as well as participate in online developer forums. Community <http://www.metrowerks.com/Community> Open to everyone Community is a forum that will replace ...

  1. #1

    Default [ANN] Metrowerks Online Community and Support

    CodeWarriors
    I am pleased to announce that Metrowerks Online Support and Community
    are now available. These enhanced support offerings give you the ability
    to interact with us in a new way, and improve the quality of support you
    receive.

    Our new support offerings enable customers to communicate with the
    Metrowerks support team and other developers. Metrowerks new Online
    Support <http://www.metrowerks.com/Online_Support> and Community <http://www.metrowerks.com/community> features the ability to submit and track service requests online and
    to search the Metrowerks Knowledge Base, as well as participate in
    online developer forums.

    Community <http://www.metrowerks.com/Community>
    Open to everyone
    Community is a forum that will replace the current codewarrior*
    newsgroups with web-based forums. Ron Liechty (MW Ron) and the support
    team will moderate these new discussion forums, which will serve as free
    support for you.
    Features include:
    - Participate in message boards
    - Developer forums for shared learning on CodeWarrior topics
    - Discuss and post questions and answers
    - Search and view message boards by topic

    Online Support <http://www.metrowerks.com/Online_Support>
    Available only to customers with a valid support contract
    Online Support allows customers to submit & track service requests (SRs)
    online and search our full Siebel Knowledge Base.
    Features include:
    - Submit and track service requests (SRs)
    - Search our Knowledge Base of solutions and FAQs
    - Manage your profile and your company profile
    - View your products and support contracts

    --
    Metrowerks, one of the worldıs top 100 companies and influencers
    in the software development industry. - SD Times May 2004

    Metrowerks, maker of CodeWarrior
    Ron Liechty - com - http://www.metrowerks.com
    MW Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: [ANN] Metrowerks Online Community and Support

    bad news again...

    Hello Ron

    Newsgroups and web-based forums are focussing different users. Its no
    good idea to finish the newsgroups.

    From my point, im using near to 20 newsgroups at the moment and only one
    web-based forum, which i only visit every 2 weeks.

    Using web-based forums i get less information spending much more time.

    I dont think we can change that decision, because there might be more
    interests on Metrowerks side, but it stand in a row with some decisions
    in the past, which disturb me... (killing Java, not visiting WWDC, Greg
    Dow, ...)

    ....just my thoughts...

    Greetings Klaus
    Klaus Guest

  3. #3

    In article <1ggnkbz.wuqpo11fnyxoqN%com>,
    com (Klaus Kloos) wrote:

    >bad news again...
    >
    >Hello Ron
    >
    >Newsgroups and web-based forums are focussing different users. Its no
    >good idea to finish the newsgroups.[/ref]

    Unfortunately the codewarrior.* newsgroups are not available to
    everyone.

    In addition we have 12 different embedded products at this moment and
    only one embedded newsgroup. So confusion reigns when questions are
    asked

    Finally, some people have given up on newsgroups because they are now
    mined for spam mail.

    So we will probably stop the codewarrior.* newsgroups eventually, but we
    will continue to monitor them until they are totally gone. We will also
    continue to monitor the other newsgroups and list that are of concern to
    Metrowerks such as these groups listed here.

    This is an additional service and is in no way a decrease of service at
    all.

    Ron

    --
    Metrowerks Community Forum is a free online resource for developers
    to discuss CodeWarrior topics with other users and Metrowerks' staff

  4. #4

    Klaus Kloos <com> wrote:

    > bad news again...[/ref]

    I agree.

    Web-based forums are grossly inefficient when it comes to actually
    reading articles and searching.

    Very unfortunate that they seem to again be terminating something that
    is genuinely useful for something that is less useful.
    Eric Guest

  5. #5

    In article <1ggnttk.1i5avgu8iiq8N%net>,
    net (Eric) wrote:

    >> bad news again...[/ref]
    >
    >I agree.
    >
    >Web-based forums are grossly inefficient when it comes to actually
    >reading articles and searching.[/ref]

    We plan to have FAQs and this should be highly searchable

    We are NOT terminating anything. This is an additional service. I hope
    that engineers will participate and submit helps and hints and that it
    can be a very useful forum.

    I will still be here !!

    Ron

  6. #6

    Hi Ron,

    We have a site license at our company for CodeWarrior Pro 8.3, with
    some number of licenses (I don't recall what number that is). Do we
    get access to Online Support? And if so, how do we find out what our
    User ID and Password are? Is there just one for the entire company or
    do we have the same number of ID's as the license numbers?

    Thanks,

    Jonathan Hoyle
    Gene Codes Corporation
    Jonathan Guest

  7. #7

    MW Ron <com> wrote:

    > We plan to have FAQs and this should be highly searchable[/ref]

    Perhaps, but I doubt as much effort will go into providing the
    functionality of google groups advanced search
    (http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search)...this is how I would
    define 'highly searchable'.

    > We are NOT terminating anything. This is an additional service.[/ref]

    "Community is a forum that will replace the current codewarrior*
    newsgroups with web-based forums"

    So, this is not going to be a replacement?
    Eric Guest

  8. #8

    The "Metrowerks Community" seems much more of a hassle than a simple
    newsgroup like we have here. First of all, I have to remember that I
    am now "JHOYLE499" and I am not allowed to change it (And why the hell
    can't I choose my own ID name?!?!?). Secondly, there is this
    complicated tier of folders and non-trivial organizations that must be
    traversed. Besides, newsgroups are much more easily accessed, even as
    I am doing now through google.groups.

    I understand the need to simplify, but then why not just say, "Okay
    from now on, MWRon will be answering questions only from the
    codewarrior.* newsgroups, and that's it." And you can pair down the
    ones you no longer wish to continue supporting. (For example,
    codewarrior.config, codewarrior.unix, etc. don't get much traffic and
    they could be absorbed into one of the other newsgroups.) But a
    newsgroup is much more obvious.

    What I don't think you are realizing is that people will come to
    newsgroups (not knowing about the Metrowerks proprietary board),
    seeing no Metrowerks responses and unanswered questions and think,
    "See, Metrowerks really is on the way out...they no longer support
    newsgroups."
    Jonathan Guest

  9. #9

    In article <google.com>,
    com (Jonathan Hoyle) wrote:

    I will pass these on to help us better tailor the CodeWarrior Community.

    Frankly this won't affect the desktop people very much at all. However
    the Embedded people have a vary diverse set of problems and lack many
    resources for answers.

    Nothing will change, perhaps the codewarrior.* groups will go but I
    don't even know that. There are some positive things we can do in the
    CodeWarrior Community that we can't do here so this should complement
    the comp.* groups

    Ron

  10. #10

    In article <1ggnwl2.mtx2ai119058vN%net>,
    net (Eric) wrote:

    > "Community is a forum that will replace the current codewarrior*
    > newsgroups with web-based forums"
    >
    >So, this is not going to be a replacement?[/ref]

    The codewarrior.* groups are mostly un-used and for do not do enough
    for the embedded tools.

    Most of the desktop question are also posted on the normal usenet
    newsgroups. This will help organize the embedded products quite a bit.

    I am not abandoning the newsgroups at all

    Ron

  11. #11

    In article <google.com>,
    com (Jonathan Hoyle) wrote:

    No, online support is only for current versions of CodeWarrior and
    require a support contract. There are only a very few desktop support
    contracts (large corporations) this online support service is mainly for
    embedded companies.

    Ron

  12. #12

    In article <newsguy.com>,
    MW Ron <com> wrote:

    <http://groups.google.de/>, <http://news.individual.net/>

    The web is also constantly spidered for addresses.
    Of the avg. 550 junk mails I receive per week three have been sent to
    this address (that will be dropped immediately when it starts to be
    spammed). The remainder goes to an address I used until ca. 2000 in
    public.

    OK...

    Regards,
    Tom_E

    --
    This address is valid in its unmodified form but expires soon.

    Thomas Guest

  13. #13

    > Nothing will change, perhaps the codewarrior.* groups will go but I

    Thanks for clearing that up, Ron. My apologies for the
    misunderstanding, as I guess I read too much into the announcement
    than was intended. comp.sys.mac.programmer.codewarrior is a mainstay
    for me, and knowing that you will still be here on that is
    satisfaction enough.

    Thanks for keeping us updated on the situation.

    Jonathan Hoyle
    Gene Codes Corporation
    Jonathan Guest

  14. #14

    Personally, I applaud the actions of Metrowerks and their new
    interfaces with their customers.

    What a bunch of whiners you all are! You haven't even seen the site
    yet, and you're raking Ron over the coals!

    A well done web interface is at least as good, and potentially
    superior to the current forum.

    How long will it take between a post and its appearance to the rest of
    the world? Right now it's 2 - 10 hours!!!! Jeez, trying to get
    something done is bersome at best. I would expect that those
    ridiculous delivery times will be improved (right Ron? :-) )

    Not having my email splashed certainly has an appeal, too. I get 500
    spams a week, how 'bout you guys?

    One quibble, if I can't create my own personna, that would be most
    irritating.

    Quit singing the siren songs of MW's demise, and see that it cost them
    time and money to create the new system. They wouldn't do that if they
    were abandoning us on Thursday.

    Just a thought.

    nlexcom
    Neil Guest

  15. #15

    In article <google.com>,
    com (Neil Alexander) wrote:

    Are you saying the usenet groups are that long or that our web is that
    long. I certainly see the messages within minutes of them being posted.
    There is no approval process, (only the ability to remove obscene
    posts).

    I'll see about that, I don't think that was the original intent.

    We'll work on these, and there is a forum for feedback too.

    Ron

  16. #16

    In article <net>,
    Thomas Engelmeier <com> wrote:

    Yes I agree that you not likely to get spam mail from using the
    newsgroups but they are mined now. And most news providers are using a
    spam filter so you don't see the spam. Still Metrowerks has gotten
    complaints about both of these from our newsgroups.

    Ron

  17. #17

    In article <google.com>,
    com (Neil Alexander) wrote:

    If you read what's been said in the thread, it's a stretch to conclude that they
    created the new system for us. They created it mainly to satisfy their embedded
    customers.

    I am strongly opposed to replacing newsgroups with a web interface, Fortunately
    for us, MW has no control over the com.sys.mac hierarchy and therefore I expect
    that's where Mac programmers will continue to come for assistance, regardless of
    when MW kills the codewarrior.* hierarchy.

    I don't think that the siren song sung in other threads is unjustified. There's
    no question MW's Mac OS product has grown weaker compared to its competition.

    meeroh

    Miro Guest

  18. #18

    Klaus Kloos <com> wrote:

    > bad news again...
    >
    > Hello Ron
    >
    > Newsgroups and web-based forums are focussing different users. Its no
    > good idea to finish the newsgroups.[/ref]

    I agree. I do NOT visit HTML based groups at all. WAY too slow and
    inefficient. I only frequent NNTP based groups.

    I also teach at two Online universities. One uses NNTP and the other
    uses HTML. I interact with my students nearly an order of magnitude
    more on the NNTP classes, simply because there is almost no overhead to
    reading and responding to messages. The HTML classes are such a PITA to
    enter and hold discussions, that I only do the bare minimum required.

    --
    - Burt Johnson
    MindStorm, Inc.

  19. #19

    In article <1gh5gps.1o4mdf2150e314N%com>,
    com (Burt Johnson) wrote:

    >> bad news again...
    >>
    >> Hello Ron
    >>
    >> Newsgroups and web-based forums are focussing different users. Its no
    >> good idea to finish the newsgroups.[/ref]
    >
    >I agree. I do NOT visit HTML based groups at all. WAY too slow and
    >inefficient. I only frequent NNTP based groups.
    >
    >I also teach at two Online universities. One uses NNTP and the other
    >uses HTML. I interact with my students nearly an order of magnitude
    >more on the NNTP classes, simply because there is almost no overhead to
    >reading and responding to messages. The HTML classes are such a PITA to
    >enter and hold discussions, that I only do the bare minimum required.[/ref]

    I think this is BBCode not HTML but I'll pass this on. thanks for the
    feedback.

    Ron

  20. #20

    MW Ron <com> wrote:

    I doesn't really matter whether it's HTML or some spseudo code.
    You'd make yourself a few friends if you can mirror postings to your new
    forum to this newsgroup or to a dedicated mailing list, so we are
    noticed for new postings.

    Mfg
    Christian

    --
    Seven thousand functions in one REALbasic plug-in. The MBS Plugin.
    <http://www.monkeybreadsoftware.de/realbasic/plugins.html>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast