Professional Web Applications Themes

[ANN] MT-NewsWatcher 3.4 available - Mac Networking

In article <bspachman-E2DB7E.00040430032004localhost>, Brad Spachman <att.net> wrote:   >  > > > > SSL support isn't a trivial thing to implement, especially since > > MT-NW is still based on the old Open Transport networking code. > > I'm aware of the need for a good SSL-capable news reader, but > > don't know if I'll have the time to implement it.[/ref] > > For those of you with SSL requirements in a newsreader, check out this > little application referenced on the AT&T help pages: > > http://www.wurd.com/cl_ssl_osx_enabler.php > > Both stunnel (and this variant) have worked fine with ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: [ANN] MT-NewsWatcher 3.4 available

    Brad Spachman <att.net> wrote:

    > > SSL support isn't a trivial thing to implement, especially since
    > > MT-NW is still based on the old Open Transport networking code.
    > > I'm aware of the need for a good SSL-capable news reader, but
    > > don't know if I'll have the time to implement it.[/ref]
    >
    > For those of you with SSL requirements in a newsreader, check out this
    > little application referenced on the AT&T help pages:
    >
    > http://www.wurd.com/cl_ssl_osx_enabler.php
    >
    > Both stunnel (and this variant) have worked fine with the last several
    > releases of MT-NW.[/ref]

    This looks to be what I need, but I am not entirely sure how to configure
    it. Here is what I have:

    Local Port: ????
    Remote Server IP: news.psu.edu
    Remote Port: 563

    What do I use for the local port and are the last two entries correct?

    Thank you.

    Best regards,
    --
    Gary L. Gray Engineering Science & Mechanics
    Associate Professor Penn State University

  2. #2

    In article <fu-berlin.de>,
    "Gary L. Gray" <net> wrote:

    > This looks to be what I need, but I am not entirely sure how to configure
    > it. Here is what I have:
    >
    > Local Port: ????
    > Remote Server IP: news.psu.edu
    > Remote Port: 563
    >
    > What do I use for the local port and are the last two entries correct?[/ref]

    The local port in the SSLEnabler is the standard NNTP port = 119. Your
    last 2 entries look correct.

    After SSLEnabler is installed & configured, your configuration in
    MT-NW will have to point to your local machine (eg. localhost or
    127.0.0.1) and use your SSL username & password to authenticate.

    It ends up working like this:
    1) MTNW says "do this NNTP action on port 119 on the localhost"
    2) The SSLEnabler software says "hey, port 119 is actually port 563 on
    the remote machine news.psu.edu, so I'll wrap the NNTP request with a
    SSL wrapper and send it over there.
    3) The news server responds on port 563 and sends the info back to
    you, where SSLEnabler maps the response back to port 119 and thence
    back to MTNW.
    4) It all repeats as needed..... :-)

    Good luck!
    Brad
    Brad Guest

  3. #3

    In article <bspachman-7C5AE3.22270131032004localhost>,
    Brad Spachman <att.net> wrote:

    Beautiful! That worked perfectly. Thank you!

    One more thing -- I assume that SSL Enabler does not have to be running for
    this to work -- correct?

    All the best,

  4. #4

    In article <fu-berlin.de>,
    "Gary L. Gray" <net> wrote:
     [/ref]

    Correct. The SSLEnabler seems to install the stunnel SSL wrapper
    application/library and use your input to set up the stunnel
    configuration. After that, it should all start automatically the next
    time you reboot or log in.

    Note that if security is really important to you, that SSLEnabler
    installs a relatively old version of stunnel. There have been many
    fixes since the version that SSLEnabler includes. See www.stunnel.org
    for more details.

    It is possible to install Stunnel v4 via Fink, but it's a little more
    of a hassle, since there's not a ready-made package created for it.
    Nonetheless, Stunnel v4 works fine with MTNW too.

    Best,
    Brad
    Brad Guest

  5. #5

    In article <newsguy.com>,
    Howard Shubs <net> wrote:

    > Damn straight. It'd be different if we were paying him.[/ref]

    He does accept voluntary contributions. He named a figure of $20 dollars
    for people who used the program for years, since I just starting using
    it I sent him $10. Whatever.
    Walter Guest

  6. #6

    In article <verizon.net>,
    Reginald Dwight <net> wrote:

    > That's the second time this week you for to add a smiley. :)[/ref]

    Did someone confuse Simon with the author of Troth?
    Walter Guest

  7. #7

    In article <verizon.net>,
    Reginald Dwight <net> wrote:

    > This program is SOOOO great! I wish there was a way to pay Simon.
    > Pintware? Something?[/ref]

    PayPal see his site.

    http://www.smfr.org/mtnw/#Donations
    Walter Guest

  8. #8

    In article <net>,
    "Bev A. Kupf" <net> wrote:

    > > I heartily second that thought. If you made this donation-ware, I would
    > > contribute.
    > >[/ref]
    >
    > Here is how you can donate to the development of MTNW.
    > <http://www.smfr.org/mtnw/#Donations>
    >
    > Beverly[/ref]

    Beat me too it by a mile, OTOH maybe my message will remind people. :|
    Walter Guest

  9. #9

    In article <panix.com>,
    Walter Bushell <com> wrote:

    Why does one re-answer questions WEEKS after initial answers were
    posted? Do you think our readers are in the advanced stages of
    Alzheimers?
    Reginald Guest

  10. #10

    In article <verizon.net>,
    Reginald Dwight <net> wrote:

    > Why does one re-answer questions WEEKS after initial answers were
    > posted? Do you think our readers are in the advanced stages of
    > Alzheimers?[/ref]

    Maybe the new users need to know. Maybe somebody wasn't monitoring the
    group at that time and the articles expired from their newserver. Maybe
    there are any number of good logical reasons.
    dano Guest

  11. #11

    In article <rand.org>,
    dano <net> wrote:

    Or maybe he came in weeks late and answered everything before seeing if
    it had already been answered. That'd be my guess.
    Reginald Guest

  12. #12

    In article <panix.com>,
    Walter Bushell <com> wrote:

    It's not the same thing at all, since it's voluntary.

    BTW, do you always respond to such old messages?

    --
    When did we become machines to be serviced
    rather than people to be served?

  13. #13

    In article <newsguy.com>,
    Howard Shubs <net> wrote:

    > It's not the same thing at all, since it's voluntary.
    >
    > BTW, do you always respond to such old messages?[/ref]

    Not always no.
    Walter Guest

  14. #14

    In article <panix.com>,
    Walter Bushell <com> wrote:

    > > It's not the same thing at all, since it's voluntary.
    > >
    > > BTW, do you always respond to such old messages?[/ref]
    >
    > Not always no.[/ref]

    Now the funny thing to do would have been to wait a couple of weeks
    before posting this response...

    - geoff
    Geoffrey Guest

  15. #15

    In article <news.rcn.net>,
    "Geoffrey F. Green" <com> wrote:

    LOL!
    Reginald Guest

  16. #16

    In article <news.rcn.net>,
    "Geoffrey F. Green" <com> wrote:

    > > Not always no.[/ref]
    >
    > Now the funny thing to do would have been to wait a couple of weeks
    > before posting this response...
    >
    > - geoff[/ref]

    I was afraid my Alesheimer's would catch up to me.
    Walter Guest

  17. #17

    In article <news.rcn.net>,
    "Geoffrey F. Green" <com> wrote:

    > > Not always no.[/ref]
    >
    > Now the funny thing to do would have been to wait a couple of weeks
    > before posting this response...[/ref]

    Yep.