Professional Web Applications Themes

[ANN] Multiport Gigabit now available for OS X - Mac Networking

Small Tree Communications Announces the First Dual and Quad Port Gigabit Ethernet Cards for the Power Mac G5 and G5 Xserve January 19, 2004 - Small Tree Communications announces the immediate availability of the first dual and quad port gigabit Ethernet cards for the Apple Power Mac G5 and Apple G5 Xserve computers. These cards, first demonstrated at the MacWorld trade show in early January, allow increased network connectivity by providing two or four independent gigabit Ethernet ports on each card, conserving PCI slots for other uses. The cards provide an immediate performance gain over the Power Mac G5's internal ...

  1. #1

    Default [ANN] Multiport Gigabit now available for OS X

    Small Tree Communications Announces the First Dual and Quad Port Gigabit
    Ethernet Cards for the Power Mac G5 and G5 Xserve

    January 19, 2004 - Small Tree Communications announces the immediate
    availability of the first dual and quad port gigabit Ethernet cards for
    the Apple Power Mac G5 and Apple G5 Xserve computers. These cards,
    first demonstrated at the MacWorld trade show in early January, allow
    increased network connectivity by providing two or four independent
    gigabit Ethernet ports on each card, conserving PCI slots for other
    uses. The cards provide an immediate performance gain over the Power
    Mac G5's internal Ethernet port through the use of jumbo frames. The
    multiport cards utilize Category 5 UTP copper wiring which preserves the
    customer's existing investment in cabling. These cards are fully
    compatibility with existing 10/100 megabit Ethernet products to provide
    complete connectivity. They also work seamlessly with Small Tree
    Communications' IEEE 802.3ad Link Aggregation software which provides
    automatic load balancing and fail over of network traffic. Small Tree
    Communications is the first and only company to supply dual and quad
    port gigabit Ethernet cards for the Apple market.

    The gigabit adapters are the perfect solution for a cost effective,
    instant performance boost over existing Cat 5 copper cabling for getting
    high-powered networking. The cards are the ideal solution for
    implementing critical high-powered networking applications and multiple
    network segments environments within high performance servers.

    The gigabit adapters reduce network congestion, simplify network
    management, and provide the highest server throughput available while
    minimizing CPU utilization. Its independent 1000/100/10 megabit Ethernet
    ports provide users of data-intensive applications with the highest
    levels of system performance together with extra redundancy.

    Small Tree Communications is an Apple Value Added Reseller and was
    founded by a team of high performance networking and kernel designers
    with the goal of providing high end networking solutions for the Apple
    Mac line of computers. In addition to the multiport gigabit cards,
    Small Tree Communications will soon be releasing IEEE 802.3ad Link
    Aggregation software and the first 10Gb Ethernet card for the Mac.
    Additional information can be found on the company's web site at
    www.small-tree.com, by calling 866-STC-4MAC, or by sending email to
    com.

    Small Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: [ANN] Multiport Gigabit now available for OS X

    In article <XjvPb.114115$I06.788423attbi_s01>,
    Small Tree Communications <com> wrote:

    What's the point of multi-port Ethernet card? Does each port equal an
    interface (so that, for instance, you could use routersoftware on the
    Mac to route between different interfaces, with just one card)?

    Just curious.

    --
    Sander Tekelenburg, <http://www.euronet.nl/~tekelenb/>
    Sander Guest

  3. #3

    Sander Tekelenburg wrote:

    > What's the point of multi-port Ethernet card? Does each port equal an
    > interface (so that, for instance, you could use routersoftware on the
    > Mac to route between different interfaces, with just one card)?
    >
    > Just curious.
    >[/ref]

    Right. It's primarily a server thing. If you were to buy a G5 Xserve,
    it would allow you to have 4 available ethernet ports. Using our 802.3ad
    trunking software, you could trunk them all together into one virtual
    4Gb port. The software also allows them to failover when a port is lost
    for whatever reason. We demonstrated this at MacWorld Expo in San
    Francisco a few weeks ago.

    1 or 2 Gb worth of bandwidth might not be enough to frontend a $20000
    RAID array to a bunch of client macs.

    Small Guest

  4. #4

    Small Tree Communications <com> wrote:

    Congratulations !

    The engineering from the pictures provided looks like the price : very
    good !

    Now only a good excuse to spend the money and go for a testdrive -:)
    Rob Guest

  5. #5

    On 2004-01-23 09:44:51 -0500, Small Tree Communications
    <com> said:
    > Right. It's primarily a server thing. If you were to buy a G5
    > Xserve, it would allow you to have 4 available ethernet ports. Using
    > our 802.3ad trunking software, you could trunk them all together into
    > one virtual 4Gb port. The software also allows them to failover when
    > a port is lost for whatever reason. We demonstrated this at MacWorld
    > Expo in San Francisco a few weeks ago.
    > 1 or 2 Gb worth of bandwidth might not be enough to frontend a $20000
    > RAID array to a bunch of client macs.[/ref]

    Is your software going to only work with your card, or will it be
    usable on, say, a G5 with the two ethernet cards? I see that you offer
    a dual-port card for a very reasonable price, but I'm curious if the
    software requires a multiple port single card.

    -Ian
    --
    W. "Ian" Blanton, Tech Superpowers, Inc.
    Technology for Genius (tm). All Mac, all the way.