Professional Web Applications Themes

[ANN] Protect you Unix Shell Scripts! - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Shell scripts are very powerful tools for UNIX development. Due to the fact that they are interpreted, they are easy to develop, inspect, debug and doent. But this convenience comes at high price - the threat of intellectual property theft. In today's competitive environment, anyone can inspect and change your elaborately crafted scripts. It is possible and easy for a competitor to mimic your work, if not copy outright, without your permission. Furthermore, unskilled customers or employees may modify installed scripts creating hard-to-find bugs, increasing your support costs. For companies that use shell scripts in commercial products, these annoying issues ...

  1. #1

    Default [ANN] Protect you Unix Shell Scripts!

    Shell scripts are very powerful tools for UNIX development. Due to the
    fact
    that they are interpreted, they are easy to develop, inspect, debug
    and
    doent. But this convenience comes at high price - the threat of
    intellectual
    property theft.

    In today's competitive environment, anyone can inspect and change your
    elaborately crafted scripts. It is possible and easy for a competitor
    to mimic
    your work, if not copy outright, without your permission. Furthermore,
    unskilled customers or employees may modify installed scripts creating
    hard-to-find bugs, increasing your support costs. For companies that
    use shell
    scripts in commercial products, these annoying issues are becoming a
    major
    headache.

    To address this problem we have created Shell Protector(tm).

    Get get more information and purchase Shell Protector(tm) please go
    to:
    http://www.bungisoft.com/html/products/shellprotect/shellprotect.html

    Shell Protector's(tm) main purpose is to protect your shell scripts
    from
    modification or inspection. You can use it if you wish to distribute
    your
    scripts but don't want them to be easily readable by other people.

    Shell Protector(tm) itself is not a compiler such as cc. It rather
    encodes and
    encrypts a shell script, together with the appropriate shell. The
    final result
    is a stripped binary which behaves exactly like the original script.
    Upon
    execution, the compiled binary will decrypt and execute the code using
    the
    encoded shell.

    The following is the most prominent features of the Shell
    Protector(tm):

    * Protects sources

    Shell scripts can contain a considerably large amount of know-how
    and
    development time. In order to protect such a valuable resource you
    should
    distribute Shell Protector(tm) produced executables instead of
    sources.

    * Allows SUID and SGID scripts

    Some systems may be configured in such a way as to ignore set user
    id and
    set group id bit when running shell scripts. Such a feature is
    indeed very
    useful at times. Although it may also create problems. To bypass
    this
    feature on per-use bases, some knowledgeable UNIX system
    administrators
    create little C programs, called wrappers, to go around this
    limitation.
    However, wrappers, if not well designed and implemented, can
    expose your
    system to some well known security vulnerabilities. Shell
    Protector(tm) is
    designed to reduce such risk to some degree, it also eliminates
    the need for
    programming know-how by system administrators.
    You can thus think of Shell Protector as the universal shell
    script wrapper.

    * Allows switch user (su) scripts

    This is one of the most interesting features of compiled shell
    scripts:
    The process can optionally gain real user id of executable owner,
    not only
    effective user id. Group set of executable owner is also set. The
    same
    effect can be obtained only by using su (switch user) command.

    * Makes sure that script runs under correct shell

    Shell versions may differ wildly from system to system. By
    packaging shell
    interpreter together with the executable Shell Protector(tm)
    provides
    extra level of platform independency for your scripts.

    * Runs under the most popular Unix/Linux platforms

    * Solaris/SunOS (SPARC)
    * Linux

    With these and other exciting features Bungisoft Shell Protector(tm)
    is a sure winner for your next project!

    Get get more information and purchase Shell Protector(tm) please go
    to:
    http://www.bungisoft.com/html/products/shellprotect/shellprotect.html
    Bungisoft, Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: [ANN] Protect you Unix Shell Scripts!

    On 27 Oct 2003 20:25:14 -0800,
    Bungisoft, Inc. <com> wrote:

    So, you're saying bungisoft is affiliated with SCO?

    This might be one reason why passwords, firewalls and permissions were
    developed. If you use a shell script in a product that you distribute,
    someone else modifies it, and calls you for support, you charge them and
    make money - it's a good thing.

    I think you lost your audience - anyone capable of writing a unique
    shell script detailed enough to want to protect should have little
    trouble implementing this themselves or something at least similar
    enough for their needs.

    If it is compiled, you don't need an interpreter. If it's interpreted
    it's not compiled.

    Is that even legal, or is that dependent on the license of the shell?

    I actually thought this was a joke.

    BTW, what is "[ANN]"?

    Michael C.
    --
    com http://mcsuper5.freeshell.org/

    Michael Guest

  3. #3

    Michael C. wrote:
    [snip]

    I believe it's announcement. Regardless, I like to share my code - the
    feedback usually leads to improvements...

    --
    Steve Webster
    Remove the 'nospam' to get my email address.

    Stephen Guest

  4. #4

    Michael C. wrote:

    It IS... though they probably think it's "a product".

    ANNouncement

    --
    Copyright 2003 Angela Kahealani. All rights reserved without prejudice;
    UCC1-207. All information and transactions are non negotiable and are

  5. #5

    In comp.os.linux.security Bungisoft, Inc. <com> wrote:

    *ROTFL*

    The same nonsense you can get for VB-Script, now also for your
    UNIX shell scripts! Security by obscurity at it's best.

    Perhaps I will not killfile you inspite of the fact you're spamming
    here, you're too funny!

    - abuse complaint pending -
    VB.
    --
    X-Pie Software GmbH
    Postfach 1540, 88334 Bad Waldsee

  6. #6

    "Michael C." <com> wrote in message

    > So, you're saying bungisoft is affiliated with SCO?[/ref]

    Meow!

    > I think you lost your audience - anyone capable of writing a unique
    > shell script detailed enough to want to protect should have little
    > trouble implementing this themselves or something at least similar
    > enough for their needs.[/ref]

    This actually has potential uses, such as CGI tools or suid tools or local
    administration tools of various sorts, to obscure them from users exploiting
    their security vulnerabilities. But its main use in commercial software is
    to make things like installation or other tools completely obfuscated: this
    can help raise your software support fees and pretend that your software is
    actually doing something clever, and prevents your clients from re-writing
    the tools to do things their own personal and possibly superior and possibly
    unsupportable way.

    It's a direct violation of the "do not preten dto have security through
    obscurity" principle, but I can see uses.
     [/ref]

    Use the GPL model and make your software far more valuable.
     [/ref]

    That's right, throw out "suidperl" and instead write your critical security
    tools in easily cracked "bash" environments that are simply not suited to
    real security! Help people exploit the old "IFS" resetting technique with
    wild abandon to break your most important features!
     [/ref]

    Which is why they're so damned dangerous: the security of your average suid
    shell script against abuse of this is non-existent.
     [/ref]

    And multiplies the program's size by a factor of several hundred if not
    thousand for many tools. My, how efficient!

    Yes, GPL-published shells such as bash and some of the csh variants might
    indeed be a variant. And perl with its modules its own nightmare!

    Mind you, if you make the source available, I think you're OK with the GPL,
    and you might get a serious reliability benefit. This is especially
    considering the version compatibility issues of perl modules.

    > I actually thought this was a joke.
    >
    > BTW, what is "[ANN]"?[/ref]

    Scary, isn't it?

    Nico Guest

  7. #7

    Bungisoft, Inc. <com> wrote:

    So you provide "extra platform independency (sic)" by turning a shell
    script into a binary executable?

    - awh

    Drew Guest