Professional Web Applications Themes

[ANN] Tycho - A PIM under development - Ruby

Hello, all. I hate announcing things that don't really exist yet, but I'm wanting assistance on this. So here goes. The idea for Tycho stems from my intense desire to have a good Linux-based PIM (Personal Information Manager). See http://tycho.rubyforge.org Unlike many PIMs, this one is built around the concept of *random* data -- structureless, unformatted, context-limited -- the kind of data we get in everyday life. This will be the place to store not just your phone numbers and addresses, but also your ideas, quotations, account numbers, and anything else that might go on a sticky note, a napkin, ...

  1. #1

    Default [ANN] Tycho - A PIM under development

    Hello, all.

    I hate announcing things that don't really exist yet, but I'm
    wanting assistance on this. So here goes.

    The idea for Tycho stems from my intense desire to have a good
    Linux-based PIM (Personal Information Manager).

    See http://tycho.rubyforge.org

    Unlike many PIMs, this one is built around the concept of
    *random* data -- structureless, unformatted, context-limited --
    the kind of data we get in everyday life. This will be the place
    to store not just your phone numbers and addresses, but also
    your ideas, quotations, account numbers, and anything else that
    might go on a sticky note, a napkin, or an envelope.

    Tycho is loosely based on an older version of Info Select, a
    commercial product for Windows. (In its earliest incarnation,
    it was a DOS program called Tornado.)

    One of the things that made Tornado (or Info Select) special
    was its incremental search capability. Even if you had a pile
    of 1,000 unrelated notes, you could find the exact one you
    were looking for -- usually within five seconds.

    I want to implement all of the most basic features and add some
    metadata support. See the web page for details.

    In my opinion, IS nowadays suffers from "feature bloat" -- so it
    is unlikely I would add all of its features even if I could.
    What goes in and what stays out is, of course, partly a function
    of who else gets interested in this project and wants to contribute
    to it.

    So there you have it. Please give me your comments, your suggestions,
    and your code. :)

    Cheers,
    Hal Fulton

    Hal Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: [ANN] Tycho - A PIM under development

    Hal Fulton wrote:

    Wow - I used to run Info Select, I ran across an old copy the other day.
    I immediately thought, "Hey, this is a lot like a Wiki." Just wondered
    if you'd thought about that, and how you think Tycho would differ from a
    Wiki.

    --
    Chris
    http://clabs.org/blogki

    Chris Guest

  3. #3

    Chris Morris wrote:

    > Wow - I used to run Info Select, I ran across an old copy the other day.
    > I immediately thought, "Hey, this is a lot like a Wiki." Just wondered
    > if you'd thought about that, and how you think Tycho would differ from a
    > Wiki.[/ref]

    I think there are some similarities in concept.

    Some differences in Tycho would be:
    1. not web-based
    2. not publicly accessible
    3. all local data
    4. much better interface and faster response - see #1 :)

    Would you be interested in helping with this?

    Hal

    Hal Guest

  4. #4

    "Hal Fulton" <com> wrote in message

    Wow! ... would love to help but I don't think I'll be able to.

    So naturally I am just brimming with suggestions :-)

    Why limit the internal topic hierarchy to a tree? The tree limitation is
    aggravating in PIMs, IE Bookmarks, other hierarchical "Favorites", directory
    structures, and the "tyrranny of the dominant decomposition" cited by
    Aspects and Mdsoc.

    Instead, merge topics and keywords/key-phrases. Allow each note to be tagged
    with 1 or more topics (keywords/key-phrases), and allow those topics to form
    a DAG of topic inclusion. So my note about the blues concert next month can
    be tagged with "Blues" (which might be included in the topic "Music"), and
    "March" (which might be included in the topic "Calendar"). Topic inclusion
    is user-defined (or you can get fancy and guess at some, like <any valid
    date> in "Calendar"). That way you can quickly categorize notes simply by
    typing in some topics/keywords. Search still works fine, it's easy to create
    a tree view on the DAG, some manipulation operations may need some tweaking.
    Perhaps the single tree in the tree view is just a projection of this DAG.

    Mouse-less usability would be nice.

    What GUI will you use?

    Its Guest

  5. #5

    Its Me wrote:

    > Wow! ... would love to help but I don't think I'll be able to.
    >
    > So naturally I am just brimming with suggestions :-)[/ref]

    Thanks for the positive feedback. Is it a lack of time that would
    prevent you from contributing?

    [snip]

    I like the way you think. Perhaps later we can go in this direction,
    but we have to start out relatively simply.

    I do think that there could be different tree views, with this one
    as the default.

    If this were truly the 21st century (where are the flying cars?), I
    would want to see an arbitrary graph produced in realtime with
    hyperbolic viewing.

    For that matter, I've always wanted to design a menu system where the
    items were hexagons and the whole honeycomb centered on the mouse
    pointer's current location, with the most common selections nearer
    the center. But that's just me.

    Definitely. I'll add that as a constraint.

    For now, FXRuby. Later perhaps wxRuby or something.

    Hal

    Hal Guest

  6. #6

    Hal Fulton wrote:

    I will like to assist.

    I hear you! After having tried various PIM's, Mindmappers, Outliners,
    wikis (everyone has to write one at some time in his life) and more
    exotic programs (like VKB from http://www.csdl.tamu.edu/VKB/) I feel
    lost in a sea of unstructured yet structured thought.

    Actually it somehow is all connected somehow even if the overall
    structure is not easily recognized at first sight.

    I think this calls for a 'pluggable' architecture. This is what makes
    JEdit so attractive. The core team concentrates only on making the
    Basics just right and let users add their favorite 'pet' function
    themselves by giving them a well defined API.

    By looking at the first picture on your website my hair stood on end,
    because I have drawn the exact same picture just some weeks ago, when
    you started this thread on rub-talk. I like tree-based information but I
    also like sticky-notes. I tried using these desktop-sticky-notes that
    float around always hidden under other windows, when you need them, and
    there's no way of grouping them or organising them. The cool thing about
    sticky-notes is, that you can drag them around and visually group them,
    which you could never do with any other PIM out there (not even with the
    famous MindMappers). When using Unix I easily could create many virtual
    desktops and fill them just with sticky-notes, but then theres no search
    capability, well that's what Tycho has to offer I guess.

    I would be glad to help out if only to not do it myself (I think the
    features that you suggest 'click' close enough with my ideas, to make
    this happen).

    One suggestion: how about moving this discussion to the rubyforge forum
    (or create a tycho mailing list)?

    Cheers,
    Carsten.

    Carsten Guest

  7. #7

    Carsten Eckelmann wrote:

    Glad to hear it, welcome! :)

    That is a good idea. I would like to see all the most basic features
    added before coding plugin capability, I think.

    When we do make it plugin-capable, FreeRIDE's infrastructure (called
    FreeBASE -- now separable from FreeRIDE) might be a good one to use.

    Hmm, I had not thought of keeping track of notes' positions. I have been
    thinking in terms of IS, which basically puts them wherever it wants on
    the screen. I like your idea, but how do we deal with the fact that only
    a few notes on the stack will be visible at one time?

    I'm sure we are not 100% in agreement, but we are close enough. And we
    can compromise as needed. (I already compromised a little for Gavin
    Sinclair, who doesn't even have time to contribute, but would like to
    be a user.)

    I just created the tycho-devel mailing list, which should go into effect
    in a few hours.

    Please excuse me, but I am still learning how to admin a rubyforge
    project.

    Cheers,
    Hal

    Hal Guest

  8. #8

    Sam Roberts wrote:

    c2.com has a bit of this built-in. For example, go here:
    http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ExtremeProgrammingSystem ... then click the
    VisualTour link at the bottom of the page.

    --
    Chris
    http://clabs.org

    Chris Guest

  9. #9

    Hal Fulton wrote:

    I have a private, local Wiki on my home machine. I'd guess this boils
    down to interface then.

    Unfortunately, no. I think I'll stick to tweaking out my own Wiki.

    --
    Chris
    http://clabs.org

    Chris Guest

  10. #10

    > Thanks for the positive feedback. Is it a lack of time that would
    > prevent you from contributing?[/ref]

    Not just time ... but that may change in the future.

    Point taken, tho' I am not sure it will retrofit easily. One reference point
    is Leo, a superb open-source Python project that is, in essense, a very easy
    outline editor with a DAG underneath it's outline view, and with an
    additional layer of 'literate programming' functionality through functions
    that traverse the structure and 'weave' a composite output from marked
    sub-sections. For many (including me) it makes quite a passable PIM. Imho,
    Leo is a *great* tool to look at for some useful ideas for Tycho
    development.

    And I heartily agree that a plug-in style is the best bet against bloat.

    Its Guest