Professional Web Applications Themes

[ANN] Why's (Poignant) Guide to Ruby, Chapters 1 to 3 - Ruby

Greetings. Man, I'm giddy about this announcement. My blood is visibly pulsing. On Nov. 11, 2003, during RubyConf 2003, I kinda mentioned a major project of mine that I believed would "change the Ruby world significantly." [1] Well, we'll see about that. Sorry if that was a bit pompous, but I'll let you be the judge of that. Why's (Poignant) Guide to Ruby is a free, open-source book for anyone wanting to learn Ruby. I have finished the first three chapters. You can start reading at http://poignantguide.net/. This book is not so much a manual. There will be no reference. ...

  1. #1

    Default [ANN] Why's (Poignant) Guide to Ruby, Chapters 1 to 3

    Greetings. Man, I'm giddy about this announcement. My blood is visibly
    pulsing.

    On Nov. 11, 2003, during RubyConf 2003, I kinda mentioned a major
    project of mine that I believed would "change the Ruby world
    significantly." [1] Well, we'll see about that. Sorry if that was a
    bit pompous, but I'll let you be the judge of that.

    Why's (Poignant) Guide to Ruby is a free, open-source book for anyone
    wanting to learn Ruby. I have finished the first three chapters. You
    can start reading at http://poignantguide.net/.

    This book is not so much a manual. There will be no reference. This
    book is closer to a novel, a comic, or maybe a biography. Or all
    three. Ultimately, I'd like to have a book that could be so accessible
    that it could be a NYT bestseller. Of course, I don't ever expect that
    to happen, but that's how plain I'd like the instruction to be.

    Face it. This is the future. Kids are going to be programming their
    skateboards, their GI-Joe tanks, their shoelaces, their oatmeal. Ruby
    could easily be that language that the common man can get his hooks
    into. This probably isn't the book that will make Ruby become
    universal, but it's a steppie in that vicinity.

    My roadmap has the book finished next summer. This gives me a couple
    months for each chapter. I'd like to release early and often. The best
    thing you can do is bug me. Feedback. Constant reminders when a new
    chapter is due. Bug me to death. The demand will motivate me. If you
    don't like the book, tell me why.

    I have no intention to print the book. I have no desire to publish. I
    am not working on PDF, Palm, TeX, etc. versions of the book. I am
    writing the book and I am going to leave those matters for later.

    However, I will be setting up a RubyForge project soon. The
    YAML/Textile source for the book will be available for any of you to
    format, print or reuse. I am releasing it all (graphics included) under
    the GPL'ish Attribution-ShareAlike [2] license of the Creative Commons.
    Cool?

    Okay, then. I *starch* you all!

    _why

    [1] http://whytheluckystiff.net/arch/2003/11/17
    [2] http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/1.0/

    why Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: [ANN] Why's (Poignant) Guide to Ruby, Chapters 1 to 3

    why the lucky stiff wrote:

    Shoot for the starts why don't you, man! Your giddyness is palpable -
    and i kinda got a kick out of the post. Going over there to read pronto
    because, the other morning i was thinking, could'nt i write a program to
    keep my oatmeal from lumping :O)

    Anyway I really do wish you the best and i'll send some feedback for sure.

    Paul

    Paul Guest

  3. #3

    il Wed, 18 Feb 2004 04:58:00 +0900, why the lucky stiff
    <net> ha scritto::

    I love this.
    I repeat:
    I love this.
    too bad I can't give it to my little cousin that does not speak
    english ;)

    BTW, you should put links for this on internet newssite. That is
    something like 'The little prince reads SICP'. geeks will scream at
    you.
    gabriele Guest

  4. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Alexander Guest
    Moderated Post

  5. #5

    why the lucky stiff wrote:

    Okay. That is seriously the funnest thing I've read in a long time.
    Thank-you!

    A few minor typos I noted:

    Chapter 2, Part 2, near the end:
    "cel phone"
    "whose to say" (should be "who's to say")

    Chapter 3, discussion on blocks:
    "shoot" should be "chute"

    Thanks again!

    - Jamis

    --
    Jamis Buck
    byu.edu

    ruby -h | ruby -e 'a=[];readlines.join.scan(/-(.)\[e|Kk(\S*)|le.l(..)e|#!(\S*)/) {|r| a << r.compact.first };puts "\n>#{a.join(%q/ /)}<\n\n"'

    Jamis Guest

  6. #6

    gabriele renzi wrote:

    ....chapter three and going strong, I've got to say I think that is a
    _good_ thing. I'm getting the feeling this should come with a PG-rating,
    and be kept safe out of the reach of wee 'uns, the easily agitated and
    politicians.

    And that's just the sidebars :)

    --
    (\[ Kent Dahl ]/)_ _~_ _____[ http://www.pvv.org/~kentda/ ]_____/~
    ))\_student_/(( \__d L b__/ Master of Science in Technology )

    Kent Guest

  7. #7

    On Wednesday, February 18, 2004, 8:40:03 AM, Jamis wrote:

     [/ref]

    While we're on it: "wierd" appears in a cartoon. (Heh, grep _that_!)

    Gavin

    Gavin Guest

  8. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    why Guest
    Moderated Post

  9. #9

    Jamis Buck wrote:

    Good eye. All repaired. Be sure to join the mailing list when it
    enters existence.

    *starch*

    _why

    why Guest

  10. #10

    Kent Dahl wrote:

    Not to worry. The "clean" version is in the works and (fingers crossed)
    will likely come with a plush toy fox.

    Thanks. (*starch*)

    _why

    why Guest

  11. #11

    > While we're on it: "wierd" appears in a cartoon. (Heh, grep _that_!)

    There's also an "intellegently" in chapter 2, part 3.
    ^
    Peter

    Peter Guest

  12. #12

    why the lucky stiff wrote:

    Beautiful, cheers.
    I'll print it out in pamphlet form if I may and take a soapbox full to
    Queen Street tomorrow afternoon.

    Incidentally, even Google doesnt know who Smotchkkiss is. Congratulations!

    Rasputin Guest

  13. #13

    Rasputin wrote:

    One other thing, this:

    require 'net/http'
    Net::HTTP.start( 'www.ruby-lang.org', 80 ) do |http|
    print( http.get( '/index.html' ).body )
    end

    gives a 404 - how about /en/index.html (ha, internationalize *that*!) ?

    Rasputin Guest

  14. #14

    In article <net>,
    why the lucky stiff <net> wrote:

    Noooo... we're all doing that low-carb diet thing. No *starch*!

    Why, your missive is a postmodern literary tour de force. I couldn't put
    it down (now my arms hurt from holding the monitor that long).

    Do you think you could come speak to our writer's club? Some of us even
    don our fox suits and pretend to be Ruby programmers.

    Are you sure you're from Utah? Your book has such a Portland
    zine-scene flavor to it. Don't lose your roadmap.

    Phil

    Phil Guest

  15. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    gabriele Guest
    Moderated Post

  16. #16

    why the lucky stiff <net> wrote in message news:<net>...

    Wow... cool stuff. I'm gonna have to make sure I have plenty of chunky
    bacon around while I'm programming in Ruby, from now on.

    One request though... the text doesn't wrap to the width of the
    browser window. The line length is fixed, forcing you to size the
    browser to a certain minimum width if you don't want to get a
    horizontal scroll bar. It seems a lot of web sites do that these days,
    and it's a pet peeve of mine. I don't want to have to make my browser
    wide enough to wallpaper my house just to read the site without
    horizontal scrolling. :-)
    Karl Guest

  17. #17

    On Feb 18, 2004, at 7:29 AM, Karl von Laudermann wrote:

    Why, if you are set against a scalable design (sometimes users need to
    be saved from themselves by setting type with an optimal line-length)
    may I suggest specifying the width of the content be specified in 'em'
    rather than 'px'?

    This way the column width is locked to the current font size (allowing
    you to control a reasonable line-length), which can be scaled by the
    user.

    And even more off-topic...tables for layout?
    May I suggest my (currently-seeking-a-proper-home-on-my-site):
    http://phrogz.net/tmp/HowToDevelopWithCSS.html

    --
    (-, /\ \/ / /\/

    Gavin Guest

  18. #18

    Gavin Kistner wrote:

    > Why, if you are set against a scalable design (sometimes users need to
    > be saved from themselves by setting type with an optimal line-length)
    > may I suggest specifying the width of the content be specified in 'em'
    > rather than 'px'?
    >
    > This way the column width is locked to the current font size (allowing
    > you to control a reasonable line-length), which can be scaled by the
    > user.
    >

    > And even more off-topic...tables for layout?
    > May I suggest my (currently-seeking-a-proper-home-on-my-site):
    > http://phrogz.net/tmp/HowToDevelopWithCSS.html
    >
    > --
    > (-, /\ \/ / /\/[/ref]

    Good, yeah. Definitely want the whole thing to be cooperative with
    scroll bars and all kinds of rez. Will check out the article.

    If any of you would like to follow development of the book or assist in

    _why

    why Guest

  19. #19

    Congratulations _why, you just made the Slashdot front page!

    Sean O'Dell

    Sean Guest

  20. #20

    On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 04:04:17 +0900, Sean O'Dell wrote:

    follow this URL:

    http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/02/18/168235&mode=thread&tid=126&tid=156&tid=188&tid=192

    Congratulations too.

    --