Professional Web Applications Themes

Annoucning OSXnews free newsreader - Mac Networking

Hi, After Switching to Mac from Linux, I was disappointed with the selection of newsreaders that were free. So decided to wrie one of my own. Its a tiny fast program called OSXnews There is an alpha version that is relatively stable available at: osxnews.sf.net if you are interested, the source is also released under the BSD license. A lot of work remains to be done WRT to basic features like threaded display, signatures and proper replying. I'll add things as time permits or as people send them to me Comments and suggestions are welcome. Definitely send me info on ...

  1. #1

    Default Annoucning OSXnews free newsreader

    Hi,
    After Switching to Mac from Linux, I was disappointed with the selection of newsreaders
    that were free. So decided to wrie one of my own. Its a tiny fast program called OSXnews
    There is an alpha version that is relatively stable available at:

    osxnews.sf.net

    if you are interested, the source is also released under the BSD license.
    A lot of work remains to be done WRT to basic features like threaded display, signatures
    and proper replying. I'll add things as time permits or as people send them to me

    Comments and suggestions are welcome. Definitely send me info on bugs and crashes
    I've used it for about a week and could only find one serious bug thus the reason for this post
    :-)

    Thanks
    -Anu
    Anurodh Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Annoucning OSXnews free newsreader

    On 11 Oct 2003 14:47:30 GMT,
    Anurodh Pokharel (users.sf.net) wrote:

    This begs the question. What did you use under Linux that you cannot
    use under OS X?

    Beverly
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Sus - Division One Champions 2003!

  3. #3

    "Bev A. Kupf" <net> wrote:

    I used pan and knode, neihter of which i can use natively on OSX
    hence it is a pain in to run them on my beige g3

    knode might be possible in the future with the new native qt bindings
    however, im not holding my breath :)

    -Anu
    Anurodh Guest

  4. #4

    "Anurodh Pokharel" <users.sf.net> wrote in message

    of newsreaders

    As was I.

    display, signatures
    them to me

    So I'll skip the 'no threading' bit, since you clearly know this. You also
    clearly know about the reply problems.

    First comment? Excellent. Small, fast and with a compact interface. I really
    like this. Was stable for me (10.2.8, 12" Powerbook). Looks good, and I'll
    definitely be following its progress.

    Second comment is a feature request. The files that keep track of where you
    are in a newsgroup - can they be specified as URLs please? As in, whatever
    folder/file structure you're using for preferences be able to be migrated
    onto the net. This allows me to use multiple boxes, in multiple locations,
    but keep the same message count and positions.

    Don't want to over stress this however - I really like the direction this
    has taken.

    Cheers,
    Ian

    Ian Guest

  5. #5

    Anurodh Pokharel wrote:

    It looks nice. Probably text-only at this point, similar to
    telnetting into a shell account at an ISP to read non-binary
    group messages.
    The display of the various newsreader windows shows areas of
    the desktop that may reveal more about your home computer than
    you intended, but I suppose you've got a good firewall and all that.
    George Guest

  6. #6

    In article <bm99c3$i0j$bu.edu>,
    Anurodh Pokharel <users.sf.net> wrote:

    > I used pan and knode, neihter of which i can use natively on OSX
    > hence it is a pain in to run them on my beige g3
    >
    > knode might be possible in the future with the new native qt bindings
    > however, im not holding my breath :)
    >[/ref]

    Both are available with the fink distribution.

    --
    Tom Stiller

    PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
    7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
    Tom Guest

  7. #7

    George Williams <com> wrote:

    really? well there is nothing i can see that will ID my computer..
    thats all that matters. I suppose you can tell im a bostonian though :)

    thanks,

    -Anu
    Anurodh Guest

  8. #8

    "Ian McCall" <org> wrote:

    Thank you :)

    they are in your user home directory /Library/OSXnews/
    everything is an apple xml file :) fully portable and doented
    you can read and modify easily them in a text editor if you ever want to

    Thank you. I'll be releasing a more complete version soon with more or less all the
    basic features... hopefully threading too.. i find it annoying not having it

    -Anu
    Anurodh Guest

  9. #9

    On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 14:39:35 -0400,
    Tom Stiller (net) wrote:

    >> I used pan and knode, neihter of which i can use natively on OSX
    >> hence it is a pain in to run them on my beige g3
    >>[/ref]
    >
    > Both are available with the fink distribution.[/ref]

    Apparently he doesn't want to fire up X11.

    Bev

  10. #10

    On 2003-10-11, Bev A. Kupf <net> wrote:

    > This begs the question.[/ref]

    It may suggest the question, but it doesn't beg it (I'm annoyed that
    the highly useful expression 'beg the question' is rapidly losing its
    meaning in this way, especially since English has no concise
    equivalent available).

    If he'd been using slrn, which as far as I'm concerned is the best
    unix newsreader in existence (fast, functional, flexible), he
    wouldn't have to go to all this trouble writing yet another graphical
    news reader. There really are a lot of choices in that area already.

    Hugh Guest

  11. #11

    In article <hT%hb.539784$Oz4.441888rwcrnsc54>,
    Hugh Wolf <lieder.de> wrote:

    > > This begs the question.[/ref]
    >
    > It may suggest the question, but it doesn't beg it (I'm annoyed
    > that the highly useful expression 'beg the question' is rapidly
    > losing its meaning in this way, especially since English has no
    > concise equivalent available).[/ref]

    Erm, well, that *is* the English equivalent. And IMHO the OP's
    statement did beg the question.
    Tim Guest

  12. #12

    In article <bm99c3$i0j$bu.edu>,
    Anurodh Pokharel <users.sf.net> wrote:

    I thought that pan's web site says it runs natively on OSX.

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  13. #13

    In article <bm9562$6vg$bu.edu>,
    Anurodh Pokharel <users.sf.net> wrote:

    It crashes on launch. I suspect that's because you've made it require
    10.2.x and I run 10.1.5. From what I understand from various comments
    seen around the Web, the majority of OS X users have not upgraded to
    10.2 yet. Dunno that this is really true, but it's worth considering
    making it compatible with all versions of OS X to maximize your
    potential user base.

    As far as newsreaders for OS X are concerned, there are an awful lot.
    NewsWatcher, MT-NewsWatcher, Thoth, MacSOUP, HogWasher, pan, tin,
    slrn, Emacs/Gnus, Halime, Newsflash, etc. Check it out at
    www.newsreaders.com
    Tim Guest

  14. #14

    In article <west.cox.net>,
    Michelle Steiner <org> wrote:

    It's native in that it compiles on PowerPC, but it's still a
    fink/darwinports thing using X11.
    iMeowbot Guest

  15. #15

    In article <visi.com>,
    Tim McNamara <net> wrote:

    > > It may suggest the question, but it doesn't beg it (I'm annoyed
    > > that the highly useful expression 'beg the question' is rapidly
    > > losing its meaning in this way, especially since English has no
    > > concise equivalent available).[/ref]
    >
    > Erm, well, that *is* the English equivalent.[/ref]

    No, an English expression cannot be its own equivalent. It can be the
    English equivalent of a French expression, but not its own equivalent.
    What he said was that there's no *other* short & simple English phrase
    that expresses the same concept.

    No, the OP's statement did not beg the question. It may have prompted
    people to ask an obvious question, but but that's not what "begging the
    question" means. The word "beg" in this context means "to take for
    granted; to assume without proof". It refers to a kind of faulty logic
    or circular reasoning where a person skips over or assumes something
    which is debateable.

    Here are links to a few pages which explain the phrase and give examples:

    <http://www.globaldisarray.org/errors/begs.html>
    <http://www.lich-mc.com/vietnam/hasty_generation.htm#Begging>
    Wayne Guest

  16. #16

    In article <visi.com>,
    Tim McNamara <net> wrote:

    > It crashes on launch. I suspect that's because you've made it require
    > 10.2.x and I run 10.1.5. From what I understand from various comments
    > seen around the Web, the majority of OS X users have not upgraded to
    > 10.2 yet. Dunno that this is really true, but it's worth considering
    > making it compatible with all versions of OS X to maximize your
    > potential user base.
    >
    > As far as newsreaders for OS X are concerned, there are an awful lot.
    > NewsWatcher, MT-NewsWatcher, Thoth, MacSOUP, HogWasher, pan, tin,
    > slrn, Emacs/Gnus, Halime, Newsflash, etc. Check it out at
    > www.newsreaders.com[/ref]

    Majority haven't upgraded to 10.2 yet? I don't know anyone who's still
    running 10.1.x. I'd say the vast majority ARE running 10.2 or later.

    10.1 is dead. Face it.

    --
    Mike Cohen - mike3k <at> onepost <dot> net
    Personal: http://www.mc-development.com/

  17. #17

    In article
    <bellsouth.net>,
    Mike Cohen <com> wrote:

    > > It crashes on launch. I suspect that's because you've made it require
    > > 10.2.x and I run 10.1.5. From what I understand from various comments
    > > seen around the Web, the majority of OS X users have not upgraded to
    > > 10.2 yet. Dunno that this is really true, but it's worth considering
    > > making it compatible with all versions of OS X to maximize your
    > > potential user base.
    > >
    > > As far as newsreaders for OS X are concerned, there are an awful lot.
    > > NewsWatcher, MT-NewsWatcher, Thoth, MacSOUP, HogWasher, pan, tin,
    > > slrn, Emacs/Gnus, Halime, Newsflash, etc. Check it out at
    > > www.newsreaders.com[/ref]
    >
    > Majority haven't upgraded to 10.2 yet? I don't know anyone who's still
    > running 10.1.x. I'd say the vast majority ARE running 10.2 or later.
    >
    > 10.1 is dead. Face it.[/ref]

    Especially now that you can get the CD set to upgrade OS X 10.1.x to
    10.2 for $39. It was mentioned in the weekly e-mail from OWC tonight.
    Read about it on this page:
    <http://tinyurl.com/qlzj>

    --
    Gordon Alley <*>
    <mailto:net>

  18. #18

    <net> wrote:

    > > It may suggest the question, but it doesn't beg it (I'm annoyed
    > > that the highly useful expression 'beg the question' is rapidly
    > > losing its meaning in this way, especially since English has no
    > > concise equivalent available).[/ref]
    >
    > Erm, well, that *is* the English equivalent. And IMHO the OP's
    > statement did beg the question.[/ref]

    No. To "beg the question" is to engage in the logical fallacy of assuming
    something is true in the process of trying to prove it.

    "Circular reasoning" is a very similar, though not entirely equivalent, concept.
    Alan Guest

  19. #19

    Anurodh Pokharel <users.sf.net> wrote:

    <http://osxnews.sourceforge.net/OSXnews_alpha1.jpg> -- when using an
    invalid address, it should end in the top level domain ".invalid" (see
    RFC 2606).

    --
    J.B. Moreno
    J.B. Guest

  20. #20

    In article
    <bellsouth.net>,
    Mike Cohen <com> wrote:

    > > It crashes on launch. I suspect that's because you've made it require
    > > 10.2.x and I run 10.1.5. From what I understand from various comments
    > > seen around the Web, the majority of OS X users have not upgraded to
    > > 10.2 yet. Dunno that this is really true, but it's worth considering
    > > making it compatible with all versions of OS X to maximize your
    > > potential user base.
    > >
    > > As far as newsreaders for OS X are concerned, there are an awful lot.
    > > NewsWatcher, MT-NewsWatcher, Thoth, MacSOUP, HogWasher, pan, tin,
    > > slrn, Emacs/Gnus, Halime, Newsflash, etc. Check it out at
    > > www.newsreaders.com[/ref]
    >
    > Majority haven't upgraded to 10.2 yet? I don't know anyone who's still
    > running 10.1.x. I'd say the vast majority ARE running 10.2 or later.[/ref]

    Agree. It's either OS 9.x or 10.2.x or above.
    Whytoi Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast