Professional Web Applications Themes

Annoying Problem - Flash Installation - Macromedia Flash Player

Basically my problem is this. Whenever I go on certain websites, sometimes the flash content works and other times it doesn't. I tried to reinstall Flash Player 8 but it says it's already installed, but then when I go to view flash content on another site it says I do not have Flash Player. I went into Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and I removed Flash Player 8 (Which strangely there seemed to be 2 of, maybe where the problem lies), but then I come back to the website to try install it and it says it's already installed. I'm ...

  1. #1

    Default Annoying Problem - Flash Installation

    Basically my problem is this. Whenever I go on certain websites, sometimes the
    flash content works and other times it doesn't. I tried to reinstall Flash
    Player 8 but it says it's already installed, but then when I go to view flash
    content on another site it says I do not have Flash Player. I went into
    Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and I removed Flash Player 8 (Which
    strangely there seemed to be 2 of, maybe where the problem lies), but then I
    come back to the website to try install it and it says it's already installed.

    I'm a bit confused wondering why it says I have it installed despite just
    removing it myself, but I went and tried another site and it's still not
    working. I don't really know what to do as the installer on the site says I
    have the player, but everywhere else says I don't. But there is no way of
    downloading the player from the site and installing it on my PC from a
    client-side file from what I can gather, so I have to use the installer on the
    site which is annoying as I feel the site way is not actually installing
    anything at all. I don't get the ActiveX alert from the site either, but I'm
    sure that's because I already have it, as this is only a recent problem.

    I'm currently using IE 7.0.5346.5 (Beta 2) on Windows XP Home (w/ SP2), but I
    updated my IE to try and counter the problem but it didn't work. When I use
    Netscape 8.0 the flash content seems to show up perfectly and I have no
    problem, but I prefer using IE to the very slow-loading Netscape.

    I read about a similar problem on here but it seemed be about the Safari
    browser and not IE, so hopefully somebody knows/can help with this? I'd be
    eternally greatful for any solution anyone can provide.

    DaveDave123 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Annoying Problem - Flash Installation

    Salutations DaveDave123, tu nous disais :
    > Basically my problem is this. Whenever I go on certain websites,
    > sometimes the flash content works and other times it doesn't. I
    > tried to reinstall Flash Player 8 but it says it's already installed,
    > but then when I go to view flash content on another site it says I do
    > not have Flash Player. I went into Control Panel > Add/Remove
    > Programs and I removed Flash Player 8 (Which strangely there seemed
    > to be 2 of, maybe where the problem lies), but then I come back to
    > the website to try install it and it says it's already installed.
    Hi Dave,

    I've a solution for you : it's a VBS script file i just wrote this afternoon for
    this problem. Basically, it change the registry rights for Flash registry key
    who are often erroneous and register the latest OCX he founds on your
    system. (flash*.ocx)

    If you don't trust me (i can understand, it's normal), you can see the code
    inside by uncompressing the EXE with winzip or winrar or whatever you want
    and opening the VBS with wordpad or notepad to see the changes it makes.

    Tested on my XP Pro system without any problem.

    [url]http://docxp.mvps.org/b1n/FlashRepair.exe[/url]

    Cheers

    --
    ~Jean-Marc~
    - [url]http://docxp.mvps.org[/url]

    ~Jean-Marc~ Guest

  3. #3

    ~Jean-Marc~ wrote:
    > Salutations DaveDave123, tu nous disais :
    >
    >>Basically my problem is this. Whenever I go on certain websites,
    >>sometimes the flash content works and other times it doesn't. I
    >>tried to reinstall Flash Player 8 but it says it's already installed,
    >>but then when I go to view flash content on another site it says I do
    >>not have Flash Player. I went into Control Panel > Add/Remove
    >>Programs and I removed Flash Player 8 (Which strangely there seemed
    >>to be 2 of, maybe where the problem lies), but then I come back to
    >>the website to try install it and it says it's already installed.
    >

    > Hi Dave,
    >
    > I've a solution for you : it's a VBS script file i just wrote this afternoon for
    > this problem. Basically, it change the registry rights for Flash registry key
    > who are often erroneous and register the latest OCX he founds on your
    > system. (flash*.ocx)
    This really doesn't sound like a Flash Player problem. If it works on
    one site then it's installed and working.

    I'd say this is a Flash Player -detection- problem on those sites.
    They're trying to detect that you have Flash Player (and what version
    you have) and it fails.

    Can you provide some failing URL's?

    Bentley Wolfe
    Senior Support Engineer, Flash/Flash Player
    *Macromedia, now a division of Adobe Systems
    Bentley Wolfe [Adobe] Guest

  4. #4

    Salutations Bentley Wolfe [Adobe] , tu nous disais :
    > This really doesn't sound like a Flash Player problem. If it works on
    > one site then it's installed and working.
    No, it's working if website just call the swf without checking first if
    installed.
    > I'd say this is a Flash Player -detection- problem on those sites.
    > They're trying to detect that you have Flash Player (and what version
    > you have) and it fails.
    >
    > Can you provide some failing URL's?
    Of course :
    - The install flash trigger page on [url]www.macromedia.com[/url] or videos on [url]www.youtube[/url] ...

    - BTW, the following script return "false" for all versions
    if the system is affected :

    <script language="VBScript">
    Private i, x, MM_FlashControlVersion
    On Error Resume Next
    x = null
    MM_FlashControlVersion = 0
    var Flashmode
    FlashMode = False
    var do_dw_var
    var browser_flash_version

    For i = 9 To 1 Step -1
    Set x = CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & i)

    MM_FlashControlInstalled = IsObject(x)
    msgbox i & ":" & MM_FlashControlInstalled

    If MM_FlashControlInstalled Then
    MM_FlashControlVersion = CStr(i)
    'msgbox MM_FlashControlVersion
    Exit For
    End If
    Next
    x = null
    FlashMode = (MM_FlashControlVersion >= 6)
    do_dw_var = FlashMode
    browser_flash_version = MM_FlashControlVersion
    'msgbox browser_flash_version
    </script>

    If you need more information, just ask.
    (BTW, i'm french, so :
    - time zone is GMT +2
    - My english is far from perfect ;-) )

    Once i corrected the everyone rights on CLSID and
    TypeLib Keys, i was able to register succesfully the
    flash8a.ocx.

    If have a question for you : Why do you put "deny"
    on "everyone" group ?

    Cheers

  5. #5

    Dave, I too am having the same problem as you are with Flash Player. I read a
    reply about using Flash Repair from Jean Marc so I installed it or so I
    thought, but my Norton Antivirus stopped it from going any further as it is a
    HIGH RISK. Just to give you a heads up. Hope we get better info on this
    problem of macromedia and IE.

    JoellynH.

    Joellyn H. Guest

  6. #6

    Salutations Joellyn H., tu nous disais :
    > my Norton Antivirus stopped it from going any
    > further as it is a HIGH RISK.
    Hi Joellyn,

    Norton is always paranoid about VB Scripting.

    As soon as you access registry and file system
    with a script, Norton is crying.

    I would appreciate if someone else can confirm
    my script is safe from any virus or malware.

    Cheers

    --
    ~Jean-Marc~
    (Microsoft MVP)

  7. #7

    :) I was able to install flash player 8. I was on my ISP website and about to
    close it when the activex bar popped up and said this site might require flash
    player 8, click activex to install. I did this and now I'm back in business
    being able to view web sites that I couldn't before. I think I had downloaded 8
    but it never was installed. It may also be that my ISP site was to have it
    installed as that was were I was when I got the pop-up. Hope this helps. Maybe
    your ISP also needs flash 8. Anyhow good luck and let me know what happens.
    P.S. It is also in my add/remove programs, as it wasn't before.

    Joellyn H. Guest

  8. #8

    Salutations DaveDave123, tu nous disais :
    > Basically my problem is this. Whenever I go on certain websites,
    > sometimes the flash content works and other times it doesn't. I
    > tried to reinstall Flash Player 8 but it says it's already installed,
    > but then when I go to view flash content on another site it says I do
    > not have Flash Player. I went into Control Panel > Add/Remove
    > Programs and I removed Flash Player 8 (Which strangely there seemed
    > to be 2 of, maybe where the problem lies), but then I come back to
    > the website to try install it and it says it's already installed.
    Hi Dave,

    I've got a confirmation that my VBScript is appropriate :
    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=184&threadid=1147048&enterth read=y[/url]

    BTW, if you use Norton as AntiVirus, you'll have an alert because of
    the access to registry and files inside the script.

    ( [url]http://docxp.mvps.org/b1n/FlashRepair.exe[/url] )

    This script can't repair ALL flash problems, but i think it is
    fine for yours. On a fully functionnal Flash installation, it can't
    break anything.

    What the script is doing ?

    0) Check I.E. user langage for french or english use in dialogs
    1) Close all open Internet Explorer windows
    2) change registry rights (to allow 3) or re-installation) on flash related keys
    3) register latest flash ocx (if found)
    4) remove lock of flash CLSID by "kill bit"

    FYI : this script is locked for XP use only.

    You want to check code before launching ?
    No problem, just unzip the .exe and open vbs file with notepad
    Ini file is for registry rights change.

    Hope this helps

    Cheers

  9. #9

    ~Jean-Marc~ wrote:
    > Salutations Bentley Wolfe [Adobe] , tu nous disais :
    >
    >>This really doesn't sound like a Flash Player problem. If it works on
    >>one site then it's installed and working.
    >

    > No, it's working if website just call the swf without checking first if
    > installed.
    Right. That's detection!

    > If have a question for you : Why do you put "deny"
    > on "everyone" group ?
    Jean-marc... I appreciate your efforts on this issue. But I'm going to
    hold off on any further discussion. Registry permissions are just not
    an area that I'm personally well qualified to discuss. And I'd rather
    say nothing than say something completely wrong (which has bitten me
    before in the 11 years I've been doing online support for Macromedia and
    Adobe...)

    I've set up some meetings to follow up on this and other issues with
    Engineering. The information in this post will be discussed.

    When I have more information that I can make available publicly I'll
    post it or update technotes.

    In the meantime, if folks want to run your fix, that's their choice. Or
    they can use the uninstall/reinstall steps in my previous notes. Or they
    can open support cases via [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/[/url]

  10. #10

    Salutations Bentley Wolfe [Adobe] , tu nous disais :
    >> If have a question for you : Why do you put "deny"
    >> on "everyone" group ?
    >
    > Jean-marc... I appreciate your efforts on this issue. But I'm going
    > to hold off on any further discussion. Registry permissions are just
    > not an area that I'm personally well qualified to discuss.
    Ok, i understand.
    > I've set up some meetings to follow up on this and other issues with
    > Engineering. The information in this post will be discussed.
    Feel free to use my patch content if needed. If i can help, just mail me :
    doc(dot)j-m(at)wanadoo(dot)(french)
    > When I have more information that I can make available publicly I'll
    > post it or update technotes.
    Nice.
    > In the meantime, if folks want to run your fix, that's their choice.
    :-) I see what you mean.
    > Or they can use the uninstall/reinstall steps in my previous notes.
    The problem is that sometimes, it's just not enough. (because of
    registry rights) Sometimes, between 8.0.22 and 8.0.24 "b" and
    install/reinstall, something just fail and lock flash.

    What is needed is an uninstall executable who clean also registry
    and NTFS rights before any other operation.
    > Or they can open support cases via
    > [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/[/url]
    I second this. If folks want their Flash installation fixed definitively,
    without any risk to lock and broke again, it's a good idea to provide
    to your engineers as many informations as they can.

  11. #11

    Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
    Salutations Joellyn H., tu nous disais :
    > my Norton Antivirus stopped it from going any
    > further as it is a HIGH RISK.
    Hi Joellyn,

    Norton is always paranoid about VB Scripting.

    As soon as you access registry and file system
    with a script, Norton is crying.

    I would appreciate if someone else can confirm
    my script is safe from any virus or malware.

    Cheers

    --
    ~Jean-Marc~
    (Microsoft MVP)
    - [url]http://docxp.mvps.org[/url]
    - [url]http://msmvps.com/blogs/docxp/[/url]

    I can confirm it's virii-free and it works.

    I run F-Secure, updated daily and never received a single pop-up warning
    running this.
    All flash-embedded pages I've been to where I was having problems are working
    flawlessly again.

    Thanks alot, Jean-Marc!

    L3.2 Guest

  12. #12

    Salutations L3.2, tu nous disais :
    > I can confirm it's virii-free and it works.
    Thanks !