Professional Web Applications Themes

Another BigW-Agfanet print mini-review - Photography

DJ did his review a little earlier on http://groups.google.com/groups?q=aus.photo+bigw&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=9s81kv87ag49tftu4os04blag8jmu72a0i%404ax.co m&rnum=1 I'm just adding a little more info to what he's already put down. I worked in sRGB as they recommended. Photos looked fine on my semi-calibrated monitor and prints made to the Canon S9000 looked great, so I thought a proper digital printer (this is only Agfanet's printer, I'm going to try others too) would produce at least as good of a job... bah! I was wrong. COLOURS Colours are a little dull and not flattering. Skin tones looked a little pastelated and washed out - with some bleeding and ...

  1. #1

    Default Another BigW-Agfanet print mini-review

    DJ did his review a little earlier on

    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=aus.photo+bigw&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=9s81kv87ag49tftu4os04blag8jmu72a0i%404ax.co m&rnum=1

    I'm just adding a little more info to what he's already put down. I worked
    in sRGB as they recommended. Photos looked fine on my semi-calibrated
    monitor and prints made to the Canon S9000 looked great, so I thought a
    proper digital printer (this is only Agfanet's printer, I'm going to try
    others too) would produce at least as good of a job... bah! I was wrong.

    COLOURS

    Colours are a little dull and not flattering. Skin tones looked a little
    pastelated and washed out - with some bleeding and reduced contrast. This
    made lip colours to be washed out.

    The machines seem to be pumping up mid-tones because many photos shot with
    digital cameras have high contrast. Photos with reduced contrast gave the
    look of flat colours.

    Possible cures:
    * Increase saturation - some of my prints came out with near loss of
    colours. There is a tendency to "brownen" prints.
    * Increase contrast
    * Raise highlights (brightness).

    SHARPNESS

    The Agfanet machines print in a square-matrix style, and visible around skin
    tones (yes my eyes are still good) - you'd have to look real close. But
    this could've been the cause for a slight reduction in the expected
    sharpness of the prints. They are sharp, but I wouldn't call them crisp. I
    might not have set Unsharp Mask to a high enough value, so doing that might
    have helped.

    CONCLUSION

    Good for travel/scene snapshots. Not good for "people" shots because of the
    skin tone issue.

    It seems I got similar results to what DJ had, so they're print machines
    might be fixed in calibration which means that next time prints we "might"
    get better prints if we readjust our images correctly. I'm only going to
    use them for small quantity prints where I can pick up the photos.

    I'll be sending photos to www.photoq.com.au, www.streetsimaging.com.au and
    www.bonusprint.com for test prints soon.

    Leon

    --
    http://www.digitalmsx.com
    High quality blank DVDs, RAM, digital camera memory, inks, toners and

  2. #2

    Default Re: Another BigW-Agfanet print mini-review

    Professionals using fstop's digital printing service use a custom ICC
    (supplied by fstop) applied to the pictures after editing, just before
    saving the final file. Fstop use Lambda and Agfa printers. If you actually
    get to find a "real" dedicated lab operator using Agfa's gear... The results
    are worth getting. BigW is what? a retailer who employs staff based on their
    ability to follow instructions?
    Doug

    "DMSX" <com> wrote in message
    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=aus.photo+bigw&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=9s8
    1kv87ag49tftu4os04blag8jmu72a0i%404ax.com&rnum=1
    skin
    might
    the

    Snaps! Guest

  3. #3

    BigW doesn't actually have inhouse digital printing gear - it's all sent to
    Agfanet's chain of printers, and they drop the prints back to BigW after a
    week... so basically BigW doesn't know what to do with digital processing,
    most likely "robots" do that work :-) I was/am doing this test to see which
    "cheap" printers are good enough for the avg person out there.

    f-stop is good, but not cost effective for most people out there because
    f-stop aims at large sized prints. Good thing is I can take my stuff to
    f-stop or streets imaging since they're Brisbane locals.

    Still, I'd like to find a good "bulk" printer for family stuff and
    bonusprint might just be the right choice. I'm not that picky when it comes
    to home printing. Commercial stuff, I am taking to the pro shops.

    Leon

    Snaps! wrote:

    >[/ref]
    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=aus.photo+bigw&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=9s8
    > skin
    > might
    > the [/ref]

    DMSX Guest

  4. #4

    I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Digilab in Windsor, great prices, service
    and quality. I would also recommend Frontier Digital (used to be in
    Corinda) but have now moved on somewhere else...

    Have a look at www.digilab.com.au and www.frontierdigital.com.au

    Cameron

    "DMSX" <com> wrote in message
    which
    comes [/ref]
    actually
    > >[/ref]
    >[/ref]
    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=aus.photo+bigw&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=9s8 [/ref][/ref]
    great, [/ref][/ref]
    little [/ref][/ref]
    This
    > > skin [/ref][/ref]
    crisp.
    > > might
    > > the [/ref][/ref]
    machines [/ref]
    >[/ref]

    Cameron Guest

  5. #5

    Miro wrote:

    Hehehe yes... meant that I calibrated it once and never bothered to redo it
    again. Still useful because I still get close enough prints :-)
    DMSX Guest

  6. #6

    "DMSX" <com> wrote in message

    > Hehehe yes... meant that I calibrated it once and never bothered to redo[/ref]
    it

    The word calibrated doesnt imply close ...... its just not the same !

    Miro Guest

  7. #7

    Miro wrote:

    >> Hehehe yes... meant that I calibrated it once and never bothered to redo[/ref]
    > it
    >
    > The word calibrated doesnt imply close ...... its just not the same ![/ref]

    I don't believe anything in this world produces "exact" s of what is
    seen on the monitor, you can spend a fortune on colour matching, but
    nothing's gonna be exact (it's all going to be "close enough"). They may be
    extremely accurate, but I wouldn't call them the same. Moving to difference
    lighting positions change the colours immediately, so for me close enough
    is good enough, but close enough still has to be presentable.
    DMSX Guest

  8. #8

    is
    be
    difference

    There are exact systems but the level of tolerance is defined.

    Miro Guest