Professional Web Applications Themes

Another 'Can't open the illustration' error - Adobe Illustrator Macintosh

This one is a little different from the usual "Can't open the illustration" error of late. Here's the setup: Opening a file of 'saved paths' in Illustrator 9 running under Classic in OS X 10.2.8. The saved paths are from Photoshop 6 running under Classic in OS X 10.2.8. We are also using Suitcase X1 to manage our fonts. Copy the saved paths into a new doent and reduce the image to fit a 3" X 3" window. Fill paths white, stroke paths black. Add text. Save as an AI.9.02 EPS file with extension. Close file. Quit Illustrator. Restart Illustrator. ...

  1. #1

    Default Another 'Can't open the illustration' error

    This one is a little different from the usual "Can't open the illustration" error of late. Here's the setup:

    Opening a file of 'saved paths' in Illustrator 9 running under Classic in OS X 10.2.8. The saved paths are from Photoshop 6 running under Classic in OS X 10.2.8. We are also using Suitcase X1 to manage our fonts.

    Copy the saved paths into a new doent and reduce the image to fit a 3" X 3" window. Fill paths white, stroke paths black. Add text. Save as an AI.9.02 EPS file with extension.

    Close file. Quit Illustrator. Restart Illustrator. Open file. Error message window appears:

    ---
    Can't open the illustration. The illustration does not have the correct number of operands for an operator.

    Offending operator: 'Adobe note attribute'
    Context:

    %(<< /operation /xor /default fill false >><< /operat) %(ion /xor /default fill fals>>) /string
    (Adobe Note Attribute)
    ---

    Then the illustration takes a moment to open and part of the illustration appears and none of the text. That's it.

    Lately, I've been building and saving the file gradually and that seems to clear things up. That is, the error message when opening the file does not appear and the illustration and text appears to be complete. This error does not appear when I try to open Illustrator files created the same way made, say, a month ago. This problem just recently appeared. Seemingly with the advent of Suitcase.

    Not sure what's going on here. I hope I've provided enough information to go on. Any advice on how to correct or avoid would be helpful.

    Brady
    Brady_Severns@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Another 'Can't open the illustration' error

    1. Were these files created on the same system? If not were they copied to your current system using a zip drive? If so try burning the files to cd and see if you can open them from cd.

    Else
    Here is a link for troubleshooting Offending Operator's:
    <http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/11fbe.htm>
    jchristo Guest

  3. #3

    These files were all created on the same system. The G4 I'm using does have a ZIP drive, but it has never been involved in the creation, storage, or copying of the files. What about the problem or the error message is alerting you to the zip drive, by the way?

    Also, I save the exported paths to a new doent because the saved paths file gives you a set of crop marks and an no-fill/no-stroke vector graphic that is ten times the size of the crop marked space. It's easier to copy-all; open a new doent; paste; reduce to 10%, fill white; stroke black; and then get down to business..

    The problem with the particular file I've been having seems to have gone away, but I'm bookmarking the troubleshooting page in case it reappears. Or I'll try rebuilding it in stages as I did today.

  4. #4

    I had alot of problems with crop marks in AI imported into Quark 4. Sizes were alot different. By alot, like 2 inches or so. Noticable if you look.

    Release crop marks all the time if applicable. "Not a problem if just drawn or appear to be anyway"
    Dee Holmes Guest

  5. #5

    Okay, it happened again today. It hink it could be something to do with the way Suitcase autoactivates fonts in OS X through Classic interfering with the way the images load. The previews look the way they're supposed to.

    I'll need to go into 9 and see if I can open my Illustrator 9 files there.

    Can anyone tell me if the upgrade to 9.2 would make any difference?

    Thanks!

    Brady

    PS: Dee,

    My AI 9.0 is set up so that crops are released. Problem with crops presents itself only when opening saved paths.
    Brady_Severns@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Upgraded to 9.0.2. That seems to have solved my "Can't open the illustration" problem. For now, anyway.