then for that monkeybutt file to be included as desired, the parent page MUST be named - foo.shtm foo.shtml foo.asp (if hosting on a Windows server) Does it matter which? No. If you are using PHP includes instead of HTML includes, then the parent page MUST be named with a php extension. [quote] > There are a lot of people talking nonsense online regarding this issue.[/quote] But that's always the case. [quote] > It > would likely be better for me if I installed an Apache Server, I'm not in > a > position where I have access 24/7 to the internet.[/quote] Why? What is your OS? [quote] > DW allows me to see all the SSI pages, and click on the SSI file which > covers > that section or html I've cut off.[/quote] I don't understand what this means. -- Murray --- ICQ 71997575 Adobe Community Expert (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!) ================== [url]http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com[/url] - Template Triage! [url]http://www.projectseven.com/go[/url] - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources [url]http://www.dwfaq.com[/url] - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/[/url] - Macromedia (MM) Technotes ================== "Css Lover" wrote in message news:du71ij$3q2$1@forums.macromedia.com...[quote] > The web site is 99% xhtml, but I have 5 pages that are html 4.01. All are > verified as Kosher, as it were. > > I have done more research and found some people talking about how you > actually need to just name all your files as shtml whether they are xhtml > or > html. I'm not sure what to call htm, but that's the file extension for my > html > 4.01 pages. > > There are a lot of people talking nonsense online regarding this issue. It > would likely be better for me if I installed an Apache Server, I'm not in > a > position where I have access 24/7 to the internet. > > That will be my next question, in respect to Apache and how to simply set > it > up to see your SSI in action locally. > > DW allows me to see all the SSI pages, and click on the SSI file which > covers > that section or html I've cut off. > > >[/quote] [allowsmilie] => 1 [showsignature] => 0 [ipaddress] => [iconid] => 0 [visible] => 1 [attach] => 0 [infraction] => 0 [reportthreadid] => 0 [isusenetpost] => 1 [msgid] => [ref] => [htmlstate] => on_nl2br [postusername] => Murray *ACE* [ip] => forums@HAHAgrea [isdeleted] => 0 [usergroupid] => [membergroupids] => [displaygroupid] => [password] => [passworddate] => [email] => [styleid] => [parentemail] => [homepage] => [icq] => [aim] => [yahoo] => [msn] => [skype] => [showvbcode] => [showbirthday] => [usertitle] => [customtitle] => [joindate] => [daysprune] => [lastvisit] => [lastactivity] => [lastpost] => [lastpostid] => [posts] => [reputation] => [reputationlevelid] => [timezoneoffset] => [pmpopup] => [avatarid] => [avatarrevision] => [profilepicrevision] => [sigpicrevision] => [options] => [akvbghsfs_optionsfield] => [birthday] => [birthday_search] => [maxposts] => [startofweek] => [referrerid] => [languageid] => [emailstamp] => [threadedmode] => [autosubscribe] => [pmtotal] => [pmunread] => [salt] => [ipoints] => [infractions] => [warnings] => [infractiongroupids] => [infractiongroupid] => [adminoptions] => [profilevisits] => [friendcount] => [friendreqcount] => [vmunreadcount] => [vmmoderatedcount] => [socgroupinvitecount] => [socgroupreqcount] => [pcunreadcount] => [pcmoderatedcount] => [gmmoderatedcount] => [assetposthash] => [fbuserid] => [fbjoindate] => [fbname] => [logintype] => [fbaccesstoken] => [newrepcount] => [vbseo_likes_in] => [vbseo_likes_out] => [vbseo_likes_unread] => [temp] => [field1] => [field2] => [field3] => [field4] => [field5] => [subfolders] => [pmfolders] => [buddylist] => [ignorelist] => [signature] => [searchprefs] => [rank] => [icontitle] => [iconpath] => [avatarpath] => [hascustomavatar] => 0 [avatardateline] => [avwidth] => [avheight] => [edit_userid] => [edit_username] => [edit_dateline] => [edit_reason] => [hashistory] => [pagetext_html] => [hasimages] => [signatureparsed] => [sighasimages] => [sigpic] => [sigpicdateline] => [sigpicwidth] => [sigpicheight] => [postcount] => 4 [islastshown] => [isfirstshown] => [attachments] => [allattachments] => ) --> Another dumb SSI question. - Macromedia Dynamic HTML

Another dumb SSI question. - Macromedia Dynamic HTML

One of those niggling problems I face right now. Not a big deal, but you search Google a few times and get nothing but madness so you come here to the sane bit of the internet. My dilema is this....... I ended up changing all web site pages to shtml, but when I was through, I realised that 5 pages , which have various javascript ect, were left as htm files, not xhtml. I could not verify them as xhtml and so thought I'd leave them as htm and get them xhtml verified at some later date. It is no ...

  1. #1

    Default Another dumb SSI question.

    One of those niggling problems I face right now. Not a big deal, but you search
    Google a few times and get nothing but madness so you come here to the sane bit
    of the internet.

    My dilema is this.......

    I ended up changing all web site pages to shtml, but when I was through, I
    realised that 5 pages , which have various javascript ect, were left as htm
    files, not xhtml. I could not verify them as xhtml and so thought I'd leave
    them as htm and get them xhtml verified at some later date. It is no problem as
    these 5 pages differ from the rest of the site. I' d like them xhtml but got
    other issues to resolve for now.

    So, I now realise that I might need to alter those 5 pages to end with .shtm,
    whilst all the rest will be shtml.

    What is it to be?

    .shtm?

    or

    .shtml?

    Cheers in advance

    Css Lover Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Another dumb SSI question.

    Are you talking about XHTML or SHTML?
    > What is it to be?
    It couldn't possibly matter.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    Adobe Community Expert

    "Css Lover" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > One of those niggling problems I face right now. Not a big deal, but you
    > search
    > Google a few times and get nothing but madness so you come here to the
    > sane bit
    > of the internet.
    >
    > My dilema is this.......
    >
    > I ended up changing all web site pages to shtml, but when I was through,
    > realised that 5 pages , which have various javascript ect, were left as
    > htm
    > files, not xhtml. I could not verify them as xhtml and so thought I'd
    > leave
    > them as htm and get them xhtml verified at some later date. It is no
    > problem as
    > these 5 pages differ from the rest of the site. I' d like them xhtml but
    > got
    > other issues to resolve for now.
    >
    > So, I now realise that I might need to alter those 5 pages to end with
    > .shtm,
    > whilst all the rest will be shtml.
    >
    > What is it to be?
    >
    > .shtm?
    >
    > or
    >
    > .shtml?
    >
    > Cheers in advance

    Murray *ACE* Guest

  4. #4

    > The web site is 99% xhtml, but I have 5 pages that are html 4.01. All are
    > verified as Kosher, as it were.
    Makes no difference whatever.
    > I have done more research and found some people talking about how you
    > actually need to just name all your files as shtml whether they are xhtml
    > or
    > html. I'm not sure what to call htm, but that's the file extension for my
    > html
    > 4.01 pages.
    If you have pages containing server-side includes (HTML ones, that is), the
    MUST be named with a name that triggers a server p of the page. For
    example, if my page contains this markup -

    <!--#include virtual="/whatever.monkeybutt" -->

    then for that monkeybutt file to be included as desired, the parent page
    MUST be named -

    foo.shtm
    foo.shtml
    foo.asp (if hosting on a Windows server)

    Does it matter which? No.

    If you are using PHP includes instead of HTML includes, then the parent page
    MUST be named with a php extension.
    > There are a lot of people talking nonsense online regarding this issue.
    But that's always the case.
    > It
    > would likely be better for me if I installed an Apache Server, I'm not in
    > position where I have access 24/7 to the internet.
    Why? What is your OS?

  5. #5

    My OS is XP Home, I've installed Apache, but need to configure the parsing of
    my shtml files and to point to my server directory.

    What I meant to say was that when I right click the files I've put in a
    directory I've made for Apache, I get the option to open them with Apache, but
    get a Dos screen pop up with my error message.

    I'd like to not have the error message and just be 'in' the Apache server. I
    realise I need to study it but this part is just the basic setting up of the
    server. Some people here might set this up whilst balanced on one hand and
    doing a crossword.

    Css Lover Guest

  6. #6

    One of us is very confused.

    You do not open files with Apache. Apache is not a browser. It's a
    webserver. It would serve pages to the browser that requests the files
    with -

    [url]http://localhost/whatever/foo.php[/url]....

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    Adobe Community Expert

    > My OS is XP Home, I've installed Apache, but need to configure the parsing
    > of
    > my shtml files and to point to my server directory.
    >
    > What I meant to say was that when I right click the files I've put in a
    > directory I've made for Apache, I get the option to open them with Apache,
    > but
    > get a Dos screen pop up with my error message.
    >
    > I'd like to not have the error message and just be 'in' the Apache server.
    > realise I need to study it but this part is just the basic setting up of
    > the
    > server. Some people here might set this up whilst balanced on one hand and
    > doing a crossword.

    Murray *ACE* Guest

  7. #7

    You know it must be me who is confused.

    If you install Apache and right click a html file in its root directory, you
    get the option to open it, so I said 'yes, open it', and got a dos window.

    I'll follow the Apache help files and try to figure this out. A dos window is
    a start.

    I just want to be able to configure look at php and ssi on my own computer,
    without messing about on my server space. I have a few blog php scripts and
    wish to see if I can make my own blog by using css and some graphics and maybe
    messing with the code a bit.

    I suppose I should use the DW ftp and just test live, but I note many
    concerned web masters seem to have this Apache server and like to test things
    locally before going live.

    Css Lover Guest