Professional Web Applications Themes

Another PUNCH Question for Fireworks - Macromedia Fireworks

Hello! I am working on a largish .PNG file (50mb+) in Fireworks MX 2004 (and MX). I cannot seem to PUNCH one path from another when working with big paths. Smaller objects PUNCH okay. Path A is filled brown. Path B is filled red. Path B is smaller. I arrange Path B to the top. I perform the PUNCH and what happens is odd. The subset (Path B) becomes filled brown, while the larger Path B becomes empty (no fill). What happened? I have tried this multiple times without luck. Does Fireworks have a limit to the size (read: number ...

  1. #1

    Default Another PUNCH Question for Fireworks

    Hello!

    I am working on a largish .PNG file (50mb+) in Fireworks MX 2004 (and MX). I cannot seem to PUNCH one path from another when working with big paths. Smaller objects PUNCH okay.

    Path A is filled brown. Path B is filled red. Path B is smaller. I arrange Path B to the top. I perform the PUNCH and what happens is odd. The subset (Path B) becomes filled brown, while the larger Path B becomes empty (no fill). What happened? I have tried this multiple times without luck.

    Does Fireworks have a limit to the size (read: number of points) within the paths that it can manipulate? Path A has about 200-300 points, while Path B has about 30. Help would be greatly appreciated as my project is at a standstill until I can get this resolved!

    Thanks!

    SamSpectre
    dennis>do-not-spam-me<horsethieves.com

    samspectre Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Another PUNCH Question for Fireworks

    Answering my own question here... Maybe it will help someone else.

    I've discovered that if you grab Path A and SIMPLIFY it by a factor of 5 or 10 the program may THEN allow you to PUNCH it with another path. There must be a limitation to the point-count in a given path that Fireworks is willing to PUNCH. OTOH, maybe it's a hardware limitation. The machine I'm working on is probably considered low-end at this point in time (G4 450DP w/ ~900mb RAM, 2x 32mb Video Cards) for graphics applications.

    Does anyone else have any suggestions, insights?

    samspectre Guest

  3. #3

    :
    : I've discovered that if you grab Path A and SIMPLIFY it by a factor of 5
    or 10 the program may THEN allow you to PUNCH it with another path. There
    must be a limitation to the point-count in a given path that Fireworks is
    willing to PUNCH. OTOH, maybe it's a hardware limitation. The machine I'm
    working on is probably considered low-end at this point in time (G4 450DP w/
    ~900mb RAM, 2x 32mb Video Cards) for graphics applications.
    :
    : Does anyone else have any suggestions, insights?

    Sam,

    Fireworks was simply not designed for work on graphics of that size.
    You will run into all sorts of problems, and may even loose the lot, so be
    warned.

    If the image is intended for web use, shrink it down to a more manageable
    size if not then I would use a more appropriate programme.

    Peter R.

    Peter Guest

  4. #4

    "samspectre" com wrote:

    Could you post the file on a Web site so that we can look at it and see
    if the problem lies elsewhere? I don't remember anything about such a
    number of points limitation on a single object for Fireworks. In any
    case I believe that Illustrator and FreeHand do have such limitations
    but the max number is much higher like in the magnitude of 32000 points
    per object or more. If Fireworks has a limitation of a couple hundred
    points it would really be sad...

    Stéphane
    Stéphane Guest