Professional Web Applications Themes

another request for OPINIONS - ASP.NET General

While I sympathise with what you're saying, be aware that novices sometimes don't know how to phrase a question to the online help. For example, "how do I create a 'variable' that lives between requests". If they don't know it's called the session state (or viewstate, or cache or whatever) they aren't going to get anything. I've often found this newsgroup to be a useful reference resource, pointing me in the right direction for more full answers on the online help. It's not the fault of the online help authors they know the framework intimately (usually!), and that makes ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: another request for OPINIONS

    While I sympathise with what you're saying, be aware that novices
    sometimes don't know how to phrase a question to the online help. For
    example, "how do I create a 'variable' that lives between requests".
    If they don't know it's called the session state (or viewstate, or
    cache or whatever) they aren't going to get anything.

    I've often found this newsgroup to be a useful reference resource,
    pointing me in the right direction for more full answers on the online
    help. It's not the fault of the online help authors they know the
    framework intimately (usually!), and that makes you think a little
    differently to the novice.

    John

    "David Waz..." <dlwpickpro.com> wrote in message news:<%kKNa.160$oA4.146620514newssvr11.news.prodi gy.com>...
    > this is something I'd like to hear opinion on..
    >
    > Is this N.G. for real questions, or to answer things that could be found out
    > by pressing F1 in the environment?
    >
    > Perhaps a new group is needed for those who don't read the doentation
    > available on their own machines.
    >
    > I see questions like "what is WITHEVENTS" or "what is PROTECTED" or "how do
    > I create a 'variable' that lives between requests"
    >
    > Forgive me, but put your cursor on those funny words, press F1 and READ.
    > Save this site as a resource of, if not LAST resort, at least not FIRST
    > RESORT.
    >
    > $0.02
    John Sparrow Guest

  2. #2

    > Save this site as a resource of, if not LAST resort, at least not FIRST
    > RESORT.
    So, when you posted this message, was it your last resort?

    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft FrontPage MVP
    Internet Developer
    [url]http://www.takempis.com[/url]
    Some things just happen.
    Everything else occurs.

    "David Waz..." <dlwpickpro.com> wrote in message
    news:%kKNa.160$oA4.146620514newssvr11.news.prodig y.com...
    > this is something I'd like to hear opinion on..
    >
    > Is this N.G. for real questions, or to answer things that could be found
    out
    > by pressing F1 in the environment?
    >
    > Perhaps a new group is needed for those who don't read the doentation
    > available on their own machines.
    >
    > I see questions like "what is WITHEVENTS" or "what is PROTECTED" or "how
    do
    > I create a 'variable' that lives between requests"
    >
    > Forgive me, but put your cursor on those funny words, press F1 and READ.
    > Save this site as a resource of, if not LAST resort, at least not FIRST
    > RESORT.
    >
    > $0.02

    Kevin Spencer Guest

  3. #3

    almost,
    And I've yet to get an answer on my issue.
    and I did a ton of reading and research before asking for help here.

    "Kevin Spencer" <kevinSPAMMERStakempis.com> wrote in message
    > > Save this site as a resource of, if not LAST resort, at least not FIRST
    > > RESORT.
    >
    > So, when you posted this message, was it your last resort?
    >
    > HTH,
    >
    > Kevin Spencer
    > Microsoft FrontPage MVP
    > Internet Developer
    > [url]http://www.takempis.com[/url]
    > Some things just happen.
    > Everything else occurs.
    >
    > "David Waz..." <dlwpickpro.com> wrote in message
    > news:%kKNa.160$oA4.146620514newssvr11.news.prodig y.com...
    > > this is something I'd like to hear opinion on..
    > >
    > > Is this N.G. for real questions, or to answer things that could be found
    > out
    > > by pressing F1 in the environment?
    > >
    > > Perhaps a new group is needed for those who don't read the doentation
    > > available on their own machines.
    > >
    > > I see questions like "what is WITHEVENTS" or "what is PROTECTED" or "how
    > do
    > > I create a 'variable' that lives between requests"
    > >
    > > Forgive me, but put your cursor on those funny words, press F1 and READ.
    > > Save this site as a resource of, if not LAST resort, at least not FIRST
    > > RESORT.
    > >
    > > $0.02

    David Waz... Guest

  4. #4

    and I don't see your opinion here...
    What do you think?

    "Kevin Spencer" <kevinSPAMMERStakempis.com> wrote in message
    > > Save this site as a resource of, if not LAST resort, at least not FIRST
    > > RESORT.
    >
    > So, when you posted this message, was it your last resort?
    >
    > HTH,
    >
    > Kevin Spencer
    > Microsoft FrontPage MVP
    > Internet Developer
    > [url]http://www.takempis.com[/url]
    > Some things just happen.
    > Everything else occurs.
    >
    > "David Waz..." <dlwpickpro.com> wrote in message
    > news:%kKNa.160$oA4.146620514newssvr11.news.prodig y.com...
    > > this is something I'd like to hear opinion on..
    > >
    > > Is this N.G. for real questions, or to answer things that could be found
    > out
    > > by pressing F1 in the environment?
    > >
    > > Perhaps a new group is needed for those who don't read the doentation
    > > available on their own machines.
    > >
    > > I see questions like "what is WITHEVENTS" or "what is PROTECTED" or "how
    > do
    > > I create a 'variable' that lives between requests"
    > >
    > > Forgive me, but put your cursor on those funny words, press F1 and READ.
    > > Save this site as a resource of, if not LAST resort, at least not FIRST
    > > RESORT.
    > >
    > > $0.02

    David Waz... Guest

  5. #5

    well...you know what they say about opinions right?

    "David Waz..." <dlwpickpro.com> wrote in message
    news:uWnOa.1126$um1.205newssvr22.news.prodigy.com ...
    > and I don't see your opinion here...
    > What do you think?
    >

    > "Kevin Spencer" <kevinSPAMMERStakempis.com> wrote in message
    > > > Save this site as a resource of, if not LAST resort, at least not
    FIRST
    > > > RESORT.
    > >
    > > So, when you posted this message, was it your last resort?
    > >
    > > HTH,
    > >
    > > Kevin Spencer
    > > Microsoft FrontPage MVP
    > > Internet Developer
    > > [url]http://www.takempis.com[/url]
    > > Some things just happen.
    > > Everything else occurs.
    > >
    > > "David Waz..." <dlwpickpro.com> wrote in message
    > > news:%kKNa.160$oA4.146620514newssvr11.news.prodig y.com...
    > > > this is something I'd like to hear opinion on..
    > > >
    > > > Is this N.G. for real questions, or to answer things that could be
    found
    > > out
    > > > by pressing F1 in the environment?
    > > >
    > > > Perhaps a new group is needed for those who don't read the
    doentation
    > > > available on their own machines.
    > > >
    > > > I see questions like "what is WITHEVENTS" or "what is PROTECTED" or
    "how
    > > do
    > > > I create a 'variable' that lives between requests"
    > > >
    > > > Forgive me, but put your cursor on those funny words, press F1 and
    READ.
    > > > Save this site as a resource of, if not LAST resort, at least not
    FIRST
    > > > RESORT.
    > > >
    > > > $0.02

    joe Guest

  6. #6

    Well, David, I'm not very fond of participating in debates and discussions
    concerning opinions, but since you asked, I'll give you my best observations
    and ysis after nearly 6 years as a Microsoft MVP helping people with
    Microsoft products and technologies.

    A wise man once said "big bugs have littler bugs to bite 'em, and so on and
    so forth ad infinitum." In the software world, there are about as many
    levels of expertise as there are in the Chess world. Some people fall into
    the "AOL User" category. My mother was one of those, God bless her. If I
    said "icon" I had to explain to her that an icon was a little picture that
    you clicked on the desktop of your computer. And then I'd have to explain
    what a desktop was. Make no mistake, I get as frustrated as the next guy
    when reading questions that I feel the person could have answered for
    themselves with a little research, such as pressing the "F1" key. However,
    it is a mistake to think that things which are obvious to me should be
    obvious to everyone. And there are people out there who know so much more
    about .Net and programming than myself that I can hardly claim to be at the
    top of that ladder (of course, most of them work for Microsoft! ;-) )

    I suppose I know as much about .Net as nearly everyone out there, but .Net
    is huge, and the CLR is even huger. Now and then I find myself taking
    advantage of the communities here and asking a question that, if I spent
    enough man-hours, I could probably answer for myself. At any rate, I don't
    think I've ever been accused of asking a stupid question. However, again,
    what is stupid and what is obvious are hard questions to answer when you
    consider the broad spectrum of personalities, resources, and brains out
    there.

    IMHO, should another newsgroup be created for those who don't read the
    doentation on their own machines? Well, first of all, what doentation
    does everyone have on their machines? Some people out there don't have
    expensive software like Visual Studio.Net. Some people out there only have
    the .Net platform installed on their machines, and that doesn't even come
    with the .Net SDK. Yes, the .Net SDK is free, but how many people know where
    to get it? I tell them as often as I can. On the other hand, people learn in
    different ways. Personally, I am an independent person who learns best by
    researching and reading doentation. But not everyone learns best that
    way. I try to keep that in mind.

    If this newsgroup was inundated with far too many messages to read and deal
    with, I would probably say "yes" to the question of adding another
    newsgroup. However, the number of questions posted to this NG is certainly
    manageable, and without any other real justification for making this
    information that much harder to find (the more places you have to look for
    information, the harder it is to find), I wouldn't recommend splitting this
    one out.

    When I get frustrated with someone who asks a "stupid" question, I just
    laugh and share it privately with a friend. If the question is nearly
    impossible to answer, I more often than not simply ignore it. Otherwise, I
    diligently attempt to remove all the sarcasm and arrogance from my attitude,
    and compose an answer which will be understood by the individual who asks,
    keeping in mind that there have been and always will be others who may look
    down upon my relative ignorance from the same perspective.

    Kevin Spencer Guest

  7. #7

    I'm all for microsoft.public.dotnet.i.dont.rtfm

> [...]
    > Internet Developer
    > [url]http://www.takempis.com[/url]
    > Some things just happen.
    > Everything else occurs.
    >
    > "David Waz..." <dlwpickpro.com> wrote in message
    > news:uWnOa.1126$um1.205newssvr22.news.prodigy.com ...
    > > and I don't see your opinion here...
    > > What do you think?
    > >

    > > "Kevin Spencer" <kevinSPAMMERStakempis.com> wrote in message
    > FIRST
    > > >
    > > > So, when you posted this message, was it your last resort?
    > > >
    > > > HTH,
    > > >
    > > > Kevin Spencer
    > > > Microsoft FrontPage MVP
    > > > Internet Developer
    > > > [url]http://www.takempis.com[/url]
    > > > Some things just happen.
    > > > Everything else occurs.
    > > >
    > > > "David Waz..." <dlwpickpro.com> wrote in message
    > > > news:%kKNa.160$oA4.146620514newssvr11.news.prodig y.com...

    msnews.microsoft.com Guest