Professional Web Applications Themes

anti-alias for a block of text - Adobe Illustrator Windows

Hi, Is there any way to make a block of text un-anti-aliased ? I'm using CS and CS2, if that's of any importance. Thanks, - Eugen....

  1. #1

    Default anti-alias for a block of text

    eugen_pieton@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: anti-alias for a block of text

    Hmm, just realized that the thread's title is kinda misleading.

    Anyway, just to be perfectly clear: I'd like to know if there is any way to turn off anti-aliasing just for a block of text.

    Thanks..
    eugen_pieton@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Is there a way to anti-alias text in Illustrator???

    You don't mean Photoshop do you?
    John_Slate@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    No, I mean Illustrator.

    For some reason, my second post has mysteriously disappeared. In it, I had wrote that the thread's title is misleading (sorry for that).

    I'd like to find out if there is any way to turn OFF anti-aliasing for text. And I mean just text - ideally only for some blocks of text.

    I'm doing website layouts and I'd like to find a way to see exactly how fonts like Verdana, Arial, etc. would look like in a browser.
    eugen_pieton@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Eugen:

    Work in RGB, and turn on "Pixel Preview" from the View menu.

    Bert
    Bert Guest

  6. #6

    For a single block of text you can apply the Effect > Rasterize command. Set resolution and anti-aliasing there.

    Oh, and the term for not antialiasing something is "aliasing".
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Bert:
    Thanks for the input, but I have no idea why you'd think that would work. :) I think you misunderstood the question.

    Scott:
    Great! I (obviosuly) hadn't thought of that, thanks a lot.
    eugen_pieton@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Eugen:

    No offense, but I think YOU misunderstood the answer. Pixel preview is intended for EXACTLY what you're trying to do. If you look at something in pixel preview, at 100%, you'll see exactly what a browser will reproduce on a computer screen.

    I'm doing website layouts and I'd like to find a way to see exactly how
    fonts like Verdana, Arial, etc. would look like in a browser.

    That's what my answer would lead to. Maybe a course in communication would be in order. I do website and browser display stuff ALL THE TIME, and in Illustrator that's how it's done.

    Bert
    Bert Guest

  9. #9

    Bert:

    Pixel Preview does not turn off anti-aliasing for specific blocks of text. As the paragraph before the one you quoted says, that's what I wanted to know how to do.
    eugen_pieton@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Fine. Forget I ever said anything.

    FWIW, you could of course type your text into a text file, and then display it in a browser to see how it's displayed (duh!). There's this handy PrtScr button on your keyboard that will then make a perfect screen shot for you, Ctrl-V.

    IMO you should not have text displayed in a browser in the form of a raster image, period. It takes up boatloads of bandwidth and slows down a webpage considerably.
    Bert Guest

  11. #11

    I'm still trying to figure out why someone doing work for the web would WANT to alias text.

    Doesn't it appear rather harsh that way?

    Or is this some type of indexed-color color-table thing? I'm a real noob when it comes to web related stuff
    John_Slate@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Bert:

    You've gotta be kidding me. What's wrong with you, anyway ? There's no need to get all puffed up over a forum discussion.

    I'm NOT going to "have text displayed in a browser in the form of a raster image".

    It just bugs me that when I do websites, the text that's going to be actual HTML text looks totally different than when I see it in my Illustrator layout. Was that so hard to guess ?
    eugen_pieton@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Eugen:

    IF you used pixel preview correctly as I suggested, THEN you'd see what you will get when displayed in a browser.

    Don't be such a frikkin' knowitall if you obviously don't know Jack and don't want to take advice.

    Just to illustrate:

    <this is text as displayed in Illustrator, Pixel Preview, 100%;

    Some text typed into this message body.<Text typed into this message.

    Bert
    Bert Guest

  14. #14

    Bert, I assume the aliased text is the result of going via save for web, and not a screen capture from Illustrator.

    As I understand it, Eugene wanted to be able to visually preview his pages in Illustrator, as they would appear in a web browser.

    I answered his question, then came back a littel later to see you making your selft look, in my opinion, uncharacteristically foolish. Going via S4W, then viewing in another application (or placing the GIF in Illustrator) doesn't address the OP's question. Neither does abuse.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    Scott:

    Point taken.

    Bert
    Bert Guest

  16. #16

    "Is there any way to make a block of text un-anti-aliased ? "

    Yes, go to Preferences - General - Anti-aliased Artwork . Switch off.
    Is that what you want?
    Fernando_Bergamaschi@adobeforums.com Guest