Professional Web Applications Themes

Anti-virus on Solaris 8 Unix - Your Opinion ? - Linux / Unix Administration

Hi, Our boss wants us to install and run anti-virus software at our Solaris 8 Sun server. I thought that there is no anit-virus software out there and Unix is not susceptible to virus. Anyone out there currently use anti-virus software (open-source or commercial) ?? I'd like to know the general opinions on running such kind of software in Solaris environment and if there's any recommended software out there. The bottom line is I am trying to make my boss happy. Thanks for your help, Bill...

  1. #1

    Default Anti-virus on Solaris 8 Unix - Your Opinion ?

    Hi,

    Our boss wants us to install and run anti-virus software at our Solaris
    8 Sun server. I thought that there is no anit-virus software out
    there and Unix is not susceptible to virus.
    Anyone out there currently use anti-virus software (open-source or
    commercial) ?? I'd like to know the general opinions on running such
    kind of software in Solaris environment and if there's any
    recommended software out there.

    The bottom line is I am trying to make my boss happy.

    Thanks for your help,

    Bill

    underh20 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Anti-virus on Solaris 8 Unix - Your Opinion ?

    On 20 Sep 2005 10:27:22 -0700, underh20 <com> wrote:

    There is antivirus programs that run on Solaris, but they aren't to
    check for all zero Unix viruses, they're to check for Windows viruses on
    filesystems shared by, or mounted by, the unix environment.

    Isn't it always?

    Dave Hinz
    Dave Guest

  3. #3

    In article <googlegroups.com>,
    underh20 <com> wrote:

    Look for CLAM AV at http://www.clamav.net

    It scans files on Solaris (or whatever) for PC viruses.

    Ted
    ted@loft.tnolan.com Guest

  4. #4

    Dave Hinz wrote: [/ref]

    Error BEU-101 has been upgraded to BEB-201. Bozo End Boss ...

    If you're not running SAMBA most the next most likely
    real issue is using the UNIX box as an SMTP gateway.
    Viruses are transported by e-mail so it makes very good
    sense to scan e-mail for viruses no matter whether the
    end machines are virus suseptible or not. E-mail gets
    passed from machine to machine so e-mail should be
    scanned. I've like Symantec e-mail scanners.

    > Isn't it always?[/ref]

    In the long run satisfying the requirements dos not always
    equal doing what's asked. Sometimes it involves educating
    the boss to the point the boss makes rational requests.
    Unless this Solaris box is running as an SMTP gateway or
    SAMBA service, education is called for.

    Doug Guest

  5. #5

    Begin <googlegroups.com>
    On 2005-09-20, Doug Freyburger <com> wrote:

    >> Isn't it always?[/ref]
    >
    > In the long run satisfying the requirements dos not always
    > equal doing what's asked. Sometimes it involves educating
    > the boss to the point the boss makes rational requests.[/ref]

    True. It depends a bit on what the boss did ask, which the OP wasn't
    too clear about[2]: if said boss asked whether or not solaris was
    suspectible to viruses and worms[1] and so whether or not preventive
    measures would need to be taken by, say, installing a virus scanner,
    then one could simply answer the question. When said boss insists
    there is a problem and isn't listening, education is needed and
    application of such by 2x4 may be in order, questionable legality of
    such notwithstanding.

    NFS for SAMBA or IMAP front-ends, perhaps? There's bound to be more
    esoteric examples that could warrant scanning for micros~1 vermin.

    [1] They're few and far between, but occasionally they _do_ happen.
    A large and important factor in their impact is how well the box
    is secured, for which solaris *does* and windows *does not* have
    adequate means available. (You may quote this to your boss.)
    [2] The conveying of the request contains an assumption which may not
    have originated with the original requester, but may be courtesy
    of the OP. I'd not be surprised if it wasn't, but it is possible.

    jpd Guest

  6. #6

    * underh20 wrote:

    I use clam a/v

    http://www.clamav.net

    you can run mail through it. I also use a 3rd party tool clamassassin
    which uses clamav. Links on clamav website I think.

    --
    Troy Piggins
    Where I live: 27 27 44 S 153 02 28 E

  7. #7

    In comp.unix.admin underh20 <com>:

    The question is, what are those systems doing? If they are MTA
    with doze clients behind, you want to scan for virus. If they are
    working as samba server to export their FS to doze clients,
    scanning should be fine.

    If non of the above is true, it's just a waste of time and proves
    your bosses don't have the slightest clue, better upgrade them.;)

    Anyway, perhaps you can get Clamav (GPL AV sw) running, even if
    it only makes your bosses happy, if the above isn't an option for
    you.

    Good luck

    mail: echo qr | perl -pe 'y/a-z/n-za-m/'
    #bofh excuse 377: Someone hooked the twisted pair wires into
    the answering machine.
    Michael Guest