Professional Web Applications Themes

Any Advice Please - PHP Development

Hi All Im very new to php, in fact just looking at the possibilities of learning it! " hello world " seemed easy enough so I thought I would explore further. So before I dive in I just wanted to make sure that php could achieve my goals. So I am here and searching after a bit of advice from you all. I would like to build a static web site that shows details about my products. However I would like the prices and some other bits of information to be taken from a txt file. This is so I ...

  1. #1

    Default Any Advice Please

    Hi All Im very new to php, in fact just looking at the possibilities of
    learning it! " hello world " seemed easy enough so I thought I would explore
    further. So before I dive in I just wanted to make sure that php could
    achieve my goals. So I am here and searching after a bit of advice from you
    all.

    I would like to build a static web site that shows details about my
    products. However I would like the prices and some other bits of
    information to be taken from a txt file. This is so I can rebadge my site
    to some of my customers and they can simply complete a simple txt file to
    update their contact details and prices. Making each of them have the same
    site different prices, different logo company name etc, different color
    scheme (via CSS) etc.

    Is this something that can be achieved through PHP and if it is, is it going
    to be complicated code? I would like to try and achieve this quite quickly
    at least a basic working model inorder to see if it is going to be viable.

    Any advice on where to start looking or sample code snippets that may be
    useful to help point me in the right direction would be much appreciated. I
    know you should start to read a book from cover to cover but time is
    important so if poosible I would just like to jump straight to the right
    chapter!

    Many thanks for any advice

    Chris

    Chris Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Any Advice Please

    Chris spilled the following:
    > Hi All Im very new to php, in fact just looking at the possibilities of
    > learning it! " hello world " seemed easy enough so I thought I would
    > explore
    > further. So before I dive in I just wanted to make sure that php could
    > achieve my goals. So I am here and searching after a bit of advice from
    > you all.
    >
    > I would like to build a static web site that shows details about my
    > products. However I would like the prices and some other bits of
    > information to be taken from a txt file.
    <snip>

    > Is this something that can be achieved through PHP and if it is, is it
    > going to be complicated code?
    Yes and yes. Although really the second answer should be compared to what?
    The application is not trivial, but (IMHO) PHP is a lot easier to develop
    in / maintain than Perl or ASP. If you know how to program it should be
    straightforward, but if you've never developed an application before its a
    lot to take on and I'd suggest starting with something simpler.

    BTW there are already a number of free packages which might at least form a
    base of your application. Try Freshmeat.net / google.

    HTH

    C.
    Colin McKinnon Guest

  3. #3

    Maybe try one site and a database that contains the prices which are changed
    to suit individual user groups rather than a text file

    "Colin McKinnon"
    <colin.thisisnotmysurnamentlworld.deletemeunlessU RaBot.com> wrote in
    message news:Ih7Rc.566$JW6.551newsfe5-gui.ntli.net...
    > Chris spilled the following:
    >
    > > Hi All Im very new to php, in fact just looking at the possibilities of
    > > learning it! " hello world " seemed easy enough so I thought I would
    > > explore
    > > further. So before I dive in I just wanted to make sure that php could
    > > achieve my goals. So I am here and searching after a bit of advice from
    > > you all.
    > >
    > > I would like to build a static web site that shows details about my
    > > products. However I would like the prices and some other bits of
    > > information to be taken from a txt file.
    >
    > <snip>
    >

    > > Is this something that can be achieved through PHP and if it is, is it
    > > going to be complicated code?
    >
    > Yes and yes. Although really the second answer should be compared to what?
    > The application is not trivial, but (IMHO) PHP is a lot easier to develop
    > in / maintain than Perl or ASP. If you know how to program it should be
    > straightforward, but if you've never developed an application before its a
    > lot to take on and I'd suggest starting with something simpler.
    >
    > BTW there are already a number of free packages which might at least form
    > base of your application. Try Freshmeat.net / google.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > C.

    SubSonic Guest