Professional Web Applications Themes

Any good experiences with well-built, reliable portable hard drive units? - Photography

In article <com>, Silvio Dante <net> wrote: } com (Charles M. Kozierok) staggered into the Bada Bing and } slurred: } } >Are there any devices in this class that are actually well-made and } >trustworthy? Or should I just start aculating extra CF cards? } } Self-service kiosks that let you transfer your images from film cards to CD } are supposedly popping up in shopping malls. Or bring a card reader with } you, rent computer time at a Kinko's or LazerQuick and burn your own CDs. } } CD burners are so cheap now that nobody should ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Any good experiences with well-built, reliable portable hard drive units?

    }
    } >Are there any devices in this class that are actually well-made and
    } >trustworthy? Or should I just start aculating extra CF cards?
    }
    } Self-service kiosks that let you transfer your images from film cards to CD
    } are supposedly popping up in shopping malls. Or bring a card reader with
    } you, rent computer time at a Kinko's or LazerQuick and burn your own CDs.
    }
    } CD burners are so cheap now that nobody should have to carry a portable
    } hard drive. You should be able to do image transfers at any Internet cafe
    } or business service place like Kinko's. They just might not have a CF card
    } reader.

    Appreciate the response, but my need for one of these toys is so I can
    shoot pictures in remote places far from kiosks or cafes. I live in a
    rural area and don't expect to see the likes of a Kinko's for many years
    unless I visit a city (which I avoid doing as much as possible... prefer
    camping, national parks and the like.. which is why I need a larger
    storage solution).

    peace,

    -*-
    charles
    Charles Guest

  2. #2

    Consider the Apacer Disc Steno CP100. It is an autonomous portable CD
    Burner. It can burn from flash cards and can be connected to a PC through
    USB 2.0.

    If the price is right, I feel this is a much better solution than a portable
    hard drive. You will want to archive all you digital negs on CDs anyway, so
    why not doing it from the beginning?

    Photon Guest

  3. #3

    On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 03:00:17 +0000 (UTC), in rec.photo.digital
    com (Charles M. Kozierok) wrote:

    I have an original 20Gb Nixvue Digital Album that is now three years
    old and never had a problem with it. I also use it as a removable USB
    drive for backups.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 (net)
    http://members.cox.net/egruf
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam
    Ed Guest

  4. #4

    On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 11:36:15 GMT, "Photon" <com> wrote:

    One of these was on my shortlist to take away on an 8 day trip to
    Hong Kong next week. But we've all encountered CDs which were
    unreadable at some time, and I would find it difficult going on a 2
    week holiday and returning to find even one disc unreadable. If I had
    time to try one and satisfy myself then maybe it would be a good
    option for me. I settled on an Innoplus Phototainer. It arrived today.
    It was fairly pricey though as it has a 3.4in lcd screen. This
    attracted me as I'm not very trusting and I can actually verify my
    pictures are on the drive. It will also play mp3 and wav files, as
    well as act as a portable (20G) drive. I think bigger drive versions
    may be available. The screen quality isn't particularly stunning, but
    it serves its purpose.

    MJ
    MJ@MJ.com Guest

  5. #5

    On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 03:00:17 +0000 (UTC), com (Charles M. Kozierok)
    wrote:

    Charles,

    Might want to look into the X'drive II. I just used one on a week long trip,
    and it worked without a hitch.

    <$200 with a 20gig drive, and capabilities for CF, SM, Sony MS.

    Look at www.vosonic.com>

    --
    Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see
    one tumble down the stairs.

  6. #6

    Don <net> writes:

    > Charles,
    >
    > Might want to look into the X'drive II. I just used one on a week long trip,
    > and it worked without a hitch.
    >
    > <$200 with a 20gig drive, and capabilities for CF, SM, Sony MS.
    >
    > Look at www.vosonic.com>[/ref]

    If you are getting an x-drive II, be sure to rev up the firmware level the
    recently released firmare. With the old firmware, the x-drive was more
    sensitive to vibrations while copying flash media. I had one copy spoiled when
    some kids were jumping next to the bench I was sitting on.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email: org