Professional Web Applications Themes

Any ideas on how to confirm data entry of an item post entry? - Microsoft Access

Access 97 is being used. Sorry for the vague subject. The database is a frontend/backend if that makes a difference. There are 3 tables, Registry, BarcodeItem, Timestamp. I have users that will be registering prebarcoded items into a form/subform. The items and paperwork will be sent to a central location and received by scanning the barcode of the item into a "receipt" form that timestamps the received date/time of the item. What if the item has a barcode but has not been registered i.e. data entry was skipped. I wanted to capture those, I can only think of doing a ...

  1. #1

    Default Any ideas on how to confirm data entry of an item post entry?

    Access 97 is being used. Sorry for the vague subject.

    The database is a frontend/backend if that makes a difference. There are 3
    tables, Registry, BarcodeItem, Timestamp. I have users that will be
    registering prebarcoded items into a form/subform. The items and paperwork
    will be sent to a central location and received by scanning the barcode of
    the item into a "receipt" form that timestamps the received date/time of the
    item.

    What if the item has a barcode but has not been registered i.e. data entry
    was skipped. I wanted to capture those, I can only think of doing a lookup
    against each item...which I am guessing would be time consuming. Users
    could be scanning 100 items at a time. The relationship of the registry
    table and the barcode items is one to many. Do I capture this by the
    relationship of the tables i.e. barcode items to timestamp as one to one??

    I hope that was as clear as mud :) Thanks for any thoughts...

    Dale C Gray Guest

  2. #2

    Dale, I'm not clear on the relationships here, but you have probably set up
    a one-to-many relationship with Referential Integrity enforced (Tools |
    Relationships).

    If so, Access won't allow you to create an entry into the related table if
    the value does not exist in the primary table (the "one" side of the
    relationship). It will automatically block the entry. Use the Error event of
    the form if you wish to capture and replace the standard error message, e.g.
    DataErr 3201 indicates a related record is required.

    If you want to, you can use the AfterUpdate event of the control that
    accepts the BarCode info to notify the user that the barcode doesn't exist.
    DLookup() should be fast enough for this. You can write something double the
    speed if you really need to, but I doubt this would be necessary: 200
    milliseconds is not very different to 100.

    --
    Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia.
    Tips for Access users - [url]http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html[/url]

    "Dale C Gray" <dale.graytelus.net> wrote in message
    > Access 97 is being used. Sorry for the vague subject.
    >
    > The database is a frontend/backend if that makes a difference. There are 3
    > tables, Registry, BarcodeItem, Timestamp. I have users that will be
    > registering prebarcoded items into a form/subform. The items and
    paperwork
    > will be sent to a central location and received by scanning the barcode of
    > the item into a "receipt" form that timestamps the received date/time of
    the
    > item.
    >
    > What if the item has a barcode but has not been registered i.e. data entry
    > was skipped. I wanted to capture those, I can only think of doing a
    lookup
    > against each item...which I am guessing would be time consuming. Users
    > could be scanning 100 items at a time. The relationship of the registry
    > table and the barcode items is one to many. Do I capture this by the
    > relationship of the tables i.e. barcode items to timestamp as one to one??
    >
    > I hope that was as clear as mud :) Thanks for any thoughts...

    Allen Browne Guest

  3. #3

    I think I understand your system. What about this?
    Data entry - barcode is entered into a table
    When you go to add the time stamp, search the data entry
    table to find that value. If it is found, move it to
    another table and add the timestamp there (enter it in
    another table and delete the orignal record).

    This will keep your searh table small. If the value you
    are looking for doesn't show up, you found one that
    slipped through data entry.

    Hope that helps,
    Richard

    Richard Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks guys, I've decided to go with the "Dlookup" option set to the before
    update event on the barcode item...I'll have to see how this holds up in the
    field...I have no way of testing prior to launch. Scary!

    "Richard" <Margohascosales.net> wrote in message
    > I think I understand your system. What about this?
    > Data entry - barcode is entered into a table
    > When you go to add the time stamp, search the data entry
    > table to find that value. If it is found, move it to
    > another table and add the timestamp there (enter it in
    > another table and delete the orignal record).
    >
    > This will keep your searh table small. If the value you
    > are looking for doesn't show up, you found one that
    > slipped through data entry.
    >
    > Hope that helps,
    > Richard

    Dale C Gray Guest