Professional Web Applications Themes

Any recommendations for books TAKING great photographs. - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I've purchased the few books generally considered the best in the realm of using Photoshop Elements to edit photos. However, I'd like to go back and refine my skills and actually learn to take better photos so that it might not be necessary to use PSE as much. Does anybody have any books re: digital photography that doesn't focus on after-the-fact editing that they can recommend? Thanks in advance....

  1. #1

    Default Any recommendations for books re: TAKING great photographs.

    Brett_Watson@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    I followed a recommendation on a book that I like very much for general understanding of photography. The KISS guide to Photography by John Garrett. I would also suggest you do an Amazon search find the most popular books on photography and check out customer reviews.

    Thanks for reminding me. I need to review my readings.
    Mark_Reibman@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    One new book you might want to browse is "Shooting Digital: Pro Tips for
    Taking Great Pictures with Your Digital Camera" by Mikkel Aaland. Mr.
    Aaland is the author of the highly recommended "Photoshop Elements 2
    Solutions", and his new book is focused (oops - no pun intended) on
    photographic techniques more so than editing. I don't have the book; just
    thumbed through it at B&N on Saturday. You might want to read the reviews
    on amazon.com, then pick it up and look at it at a bricks-and-mortar
    bookstore before making a decision.

    Chuck

    Chuck_Snyder@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    I'd call that a draw, wouldn't you Chuck?
    Mark_Reibman@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Thanks guys. I didn't know about the new Aaland book. I have his "Solutions" books and like it a lot. I'll take a look at this new one. Thanks.
    Brett_Watson@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    >>>The KISS guide to Photography

    Interesting title. "KISS" is a saying I have heard for many years for both
    artists and photographers.

    Pete

    Pete_D@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    KISS = Keep It Simple Series
    Mark_Reibman@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    I always go back to Mountain Light by Galen Rowell. It's old, but it always reminds me of a couple ways to find better images.
    Eric_Matthes@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Yeah Mark, I heard it stated that way but more often keep it simple, Stupid.
    (meaning that it is not smart to complicate the art by having too much in
    there).

    Pete_D@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    <>

    Sounds like a local beer we have around here, Eric. :) Hmmm...I wonder if it would help me find better images?

    Patti
    Patti_Anderson@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Pick up the latest copy of "PC Photo" magazine, December 2003. An excellent article on using your camera's 'automatic' features. It's just one component of taking better pictures! The number one technique is "learning how to see", and paying attention to detail and composition, all within a split second. It simply takes time and some practice, but you'll suddenly go from 'snapshots' to photographs. Have fun.

    Walt
    W_Bobrowski@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Walt, re 'snapshots' to 'photographs'....I'm still waiting for that sudden
    shift....

    :-)