Professional Web Applications Themes

Any use for the Airport Extreme CD? - Mac Networking

An included CD came with my Airport Extreme hardware. I am puzzled as to the purpose of this CD, because Apple has no reference to it anywhere in the user's manual. In the CD itself, there are no instructions as to what the included software on the CD is used for. Anyone know the story about the CD? I am running OS 10.2.8 on a Pismo powerbook. Near as I can determine, all the necessary software is already included with OS X, and there is no need for the stuff on the CD, but I would like to be certain ...

  1. #1

    Default Any use for the Airport Extreme CD?

    An included CD came with my Airport Extreme hardware.

    I am puzzled as to the purpose of this CD, because Apple has no
    reference to it anywhere in the user's manual.

    In the CD itself, there are no instructions as to what the included
    software on the CD is used for.

    Anyone know the story about the CD?

    I am running OS 10.2.8 on a Pismo powerbook.

    Near as I can determine, all the necessary software is already included
    with OS X, and there is no need for the stuff on the CD, but I would
    like to be certain before I try to setup Airport on my Pismo.

    Mark-
    Mark Conrad Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Any use for the Airport Extreme CD?

    Mark Conrad <ignoreinvalid.com> wrote:
    > Near as I can determine, all the necessary software is already included
    > with OS X, and there is no need for the stuff on the CD, but I would
    > like to be certain before I try to setup Airport on my Pismo.
    If you already have the Airport software installed and it's the same or
    later version than the CD has, certainly you don't need to install it.
    People who do _not_ have it installed already, or who have an earlier
    version, should install from the CD.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    Mike Rosenberg Guest

  3. #3

    In article <1g2lqrc.99hqft15tz4n4N%invalid>, Mike
    Rosenberg <invalid> wrote:

    Okay, that makes sense. Meanwhile, I configured the built-in software
    for my Airport Extreme (OS 10.2.6) - and everything seems to work fine,
    so I guess I better not mess with it.

    Certainly is a nice feature to be able to use my Pismo powerbook
    anywhere around the house, without being tied to cables.

    Been thinking of purchasing the new DP or triple-processor G5, when I
    can afford to do so. Minor thing is that someone told me that it had
    _seven_ fans to keep everything cool, which might mean that it would
    be very noisy.

    ....in which case I could perhaps slave it to my Pismo powerbook using
    Timbuktu and Airport, to get away from all the racket.<g>

    Mark-
    Mark Guest

  4. #4

    Mark Conrad <com> wrote:

    Triple processor? Do you know something the rest of us don't? ;-)

    Nine fans, actually, but it's more quiet than the previous G4:

    <http://www.apple.com/powermac/design.html>

    Apple says it's "two times quieter," which translated into English I
    guess means half as loud. Whatever, the one I've worked with is
    distinctly quieter than my 1.25Ghz G4.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    Mike Guest

  5. #5

    In article <1g2pvqp.uzbs2r1vtk8l2N%invalid>, Mike
    Rosenberg <invalid> wrote:

    > Triple processor? Do you know something the rest of us don't? ;-)[/ref]

    Whoops, I thought this thread was dead :)

    No, just guessing about 3 CPUs, based on what someone else posted.

    > Nine fans, actually, but it's more quiet than the previous G4:
    >
    > <http://www.apple.com/powermac/design.html>
    >
    > Apple says it's "two times quieter," which translated into English I
    > guess means half as loud. Whatever, the one I've worked with is
    > distinctly quieter than my 1.25Ghz G4.[/ref]

    That is nice to hear. I might kick the tires on the new G5 at the
    nearest Apple store which is 170 miles away from here.

    Mark-
    Mark Guest