Professional Web Applications Themes

Any way to find username and password in Redhat 8.0? - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I installed Redhat 8.0 a while ago on a seperate drive on my computer and was very disappointed.You see, it was a brand new computer, and it didn't recognize my ethernet card, my mouse, my video card. In short, it was a far cry from Windows XP (please don't flame me guys, I'm no fan of Microsofts either, but reality is reality) So, being new to all this, I really wasn't willing to put the time in and all. Well it's been a few months, and I figure they must have updated the driver database by now. But here's the ...

  1. #1

    Default Any way to find username and password in Redhat 8.0?

    I installed Redhat 8.0 a while ago on a seperate drive on my computer and
    was very disappointed.You see, it was a brand new computer, and it didn't
    recognize my ethernet card, my mouse, my video card. In short, it was a far
    cry from Windows XP (please don't flame me guys, I'm no fan of Microsofts
    either, but reality is reality) So, being new to all this, I really wasn't
    willing to put the time in and all. Well it's been a few months, and I
    figure they must have updated the driver database by now. But here's the
    catch and my question...I've forgotton my username and password, is there
    any way to retrieve them short of reinstalling again from the burned ISO?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Gene

    Gene Guest

  2. #2

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 02:31:01 GMT, Gene wrote:
    > I installed Redhat 8.0 a while ago on a seperate drive on my computer
    > catch and my question...I've forgotton my username and password, is there
    > any way to retrieve them short of reinstalling again from the burned ISO?
    See how I reformated your question, keeps the emotion out of the post.

    boot cd 1 rescue mode
    chroot /mnt/sysimage
    passwd root
    passwd cybercop
    Bit Twister Guest

  3. #3

    Gene wrote:
    > I installed Redhat 8.0 a while ago on a seperate drive on my computer and
    > was very disappointed.You see, it was a brand new computer, and it didn't
    > recognize my ethernet card, my mouse, my video card. In short, it was a far
    > cry from Windows XP (please don't flame me guys, I'm no fan of Microsofts
    > either, but reality is reality)
    I decided to edit out the content, and just leave the emotion part...

    1. You bought a Windows PC. It runs Windows. The fact that Linux runs
    on any Windows PC is an amazing feat.

    2. If you are TRULY interested in sharing your feelings on this, you
    would have shared details about your config so that others could
    benefit from knowing what NOT to buy... and... though it might be
    embarrassing, you might find some that have successfully installed
    RH 8 on your exact same configuration, or at least something close
    to it. Even if no one can help... you've LOST NOTHING!

    This isn't a flame... just some facts to help you make some better
    (less emotional... though emotion combined with data is generally
    ok) posts in the future.

    Chris Cox Guest

  4. #4

    Gene wrote:
    > I installed Redhat 8.0 a while ago on a seperate drive on my computer and
    > was very disappointed.You see, it was a brand new computer,
    Red Hat Linux 8.0 isn't a brand new OS. Don't expect an OS that's older than
    your hardware to work, the designers can't support future hardware.

    --
    Markku Kolkka
    [email]markku.kolkkaiki.fi[/email]