Professional Web Applications Themes

Any way to share OS X address books across users? - Mac Applications & Software

I frequently have to log out of my account on OS X so my girlfriend can look up an entry in her address book. Is there some way to set it up so that she could launch her own address book from my account? I've tried running 'open -a "Address Book" under various combinations of ssh to the other account and sudo to root, but it only ever runs my Address Book. I see a program called iSparx that allows sharing address books over the network, but I only have one Mac, just with 2 accounts. Presumably if I exported ...

  1. #1

    Default Any way to share OS X address books across users?

    I frequently have to log out of my account on OS X so my girlfriend
    can look up an entry in her address book. Is there some way to set it
    up so that she could launch her own address book from my account?

    I've tried running 'open -a "Address Book" under various combinations
    of ssh to the other account and sudo to root, but it only ever runs my
    Address Book.

    I see a program called iSparx that allows sharing address books over
    the network, but I only have one Mac, just with 2 accounts.

    Presumably if I exported all the addresses over to my Address Book,
    I'd have to keep repeating the process as new ones were added.

    John
    --
    Photo gallery: http://www.pbase.com/john_russell/
    John Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Any way to share OS X address books across users?

    On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 1:42:47 -0400, John Russell wrote
    (in message <com>):

    Now, no. Soon, yes.

    Panther will give her the ability to log into her account without you
    having to log out.

    --
    J Brady

    Jonathan Guest

  3. #3

    On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 2:03:02 -0400, Jonathan Brady
    <myfmail.com> wrote:

    I wonder if you could somehow create terminals and have multiple users
    using a Mac *at the same time.* That'd be... kinda nifty, especially
    for home users who don't use that much processing power individually.
    forge Guest

  4. #4

    forge <youneedageek.com> wrote: [/ref]

    That depends on what you want to do once you log in.

    stan@temple.edu Guest

  5. #5

    John Russell <mailshell.com> writes:

    You can have one address book shared between your accounts, that's how
    I've set it up on my Mac. If that's OK (mixing all your addresses), just
    put the Address Book files in a place where you can both access them (I
    used /Users/Shared/) and make links from where Address Book expects to
    find them for each user. From memory this is ~/Library/Application Support/Address Book/
    (I might be wrong, but you should be able to find the right spot).

    Remember to use Unix symlinks (ln -s), not Mac aliases.

    And don't forget to consolidate all contacts into one Address Book before
    overwriting the data ;-)

    /Stefan
    Stefan Guest

  6. #6

    Stefan Lindstrom wrote:

    I imagine that this can be achieved also by using WedDav in some smart way.

    Anyone?
    --
    h u g h c h a l A T e i r c o m D O T n e t
    hughchal Guest

  7. #7

    On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 13:19:09 GMT, Stefan Lindstrom
    <fixme.invalid> wrote:

    >You can have one address book shared between your accounts, that's how
    >I've set it up on my Mac. If that's OK (mixing all your addresses), just
    >put the Address Book files in a place where you can both access them (I
    >used /Users/Shared/) and make links from where Address Book expects to
    >find them for each user. From memory this is ~/Library/Application Support/Address Book/
    >(I might be wrong, but you should be able to find the right spot).
    >
    >Remember to use Unix symlinks (ln -s), not Mac aliases.
    >
    >And don't forget to consolidate all contacts into one Address Book before
    >overwriting the data ;-)[/ref]

    I guess that opens up the possibility of an "address book switcher",
    which would point a symlink at the relevant file (suitably chmod'ed).
    That way one could use a different address book just for a minute,
    then switch back to the original one.

    John

  8. #8

    John Russell <mailshell.com> wrote in message news:<com>...

    > >You can have one address book shared between your accounts, that's how
    > >I've set it up on my Mac. If that's OK (mixing all your addresses), just
    > >put the Address Book files in a place where you can both access them (I
    > >used /Users/Shared/) and make links from where Address Book expects to
    > >find them for each user. From memory this is ~/Library/Application Support/Address Book/
    > >(I might be wrong, but you should be able to find the right spot).
    > >
    > >Remember to use Unix symlinks (ln -s), not Mac aliases.
    > >
    > >And don't forget to consolidate all contacts into one Address Book before
    > >overwriting the data ;-)[/ref]
    >
    > I guess that opens up the possibility of an "address book switcher",
    > which would point a symlink at the relevant file (suitably chmod'ed).
    > That way one could use a different address book just for a minute,
    > then switch back to the original one.
    >
    > John[/ref]

    With a .Mac account she could access her Address Book online, that is how I do it.

    --William
    William Guest