Professional Web Applications Themes

Anyone else have a file lock problem? - Adobe Illustrator Windows

We have a problem with File Locks on systems with Illustrator 10 or CS installed on them. It is intermittent so it has been a problem to isolate. Sometimes when moving, renaming, cutting, deleting an Illustrator type file (specifically .eps) file in Windows Explorer we get a message that access is denied, file in use, It is being used by another person or program, etc. This happens on W98, W2k and XP systems. It can happen on a network file or on files on the local C: drive. I am convinced it is triggered by Illustrator because when I uninstalled ...

  1. #1

    Default Anyone else have a file lock problem?

    We have a problem with File Locks on systems with Illustrator 10 or CS installed on them. It is intermittent so it has been a problem to isolate. Sometimes when moving, renaming, cutting, deleting an Illustrator type file (specifically .eps) file in Windows Explorer we get a message that access is denied, file in use, It is being used by another person or program, etc. This happens on W98, W2k and XP systems. It can happen on a network file or on files on the local C: drive. I am convinced it is triggered by Illustrator because when I uninstalled it from a system that had the file lock problem the issue went away. I then reinstalled and the problem immediately came back. We have many Illustrator installations and most of those users have reported this file lock problem. I have no reports of this from the dozens of PC's we have without Illustrator installed.
    I also took a brand new Dell with XP out of the box and loaded Illustrator CS on it and then that system gave me the file lock error so I am confident that it is not an issue with other applications we use at our business... nothing else was loaded on the new PC.

    Adobe"expert"support insists it has absolutely nothing to do with their program and that it is something unique to our environment.

    Has ANYONE had these types of file lock issues too? HELP
    Bart_Androski@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Anyone else have a file lock problem?

    Bart,

    What virus scanner are you using and was it active when Illustrator CS was installed? Is Illustrator being operated with user having Administrative Rights? Are the files being worked over a network?

    Bob
    BobHill@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    We use Symantec Antivirus Corporate edition - but this happened on the new system without it installed. Antivirus should not be an issue. All artists have an account on their W2K or XP PC with Admin rights. The files are not being worked on over a network.

    This happens in Windows Explorer with or without the Illustrator application open. Adobe tells me if their app is not open it is not their problem - but Illustrator has some type of script or something that controls how the icon thumbnail is generated within Windows Explorer - they don't let Windows handle the icon like all other programs - so Illustrator is doing 'something' even when it is not running.
    Bart_Androski@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Bart,

    If the Adobe Techs are saying it's not the program, I'd go with that. I doubt anyone here would have more knowledge on the subject and certainly not how to fix it within Illustrator. Windows icons aren't set by Illustrator, but is a Windows function and whether Illustrator is open or not, any script from it wouldn't apply to anything but Illustrator, in any case.

    Norton (Symantics) has been known to cause problems with adobe products on many machines, not only if active during an install, but also when opening and using Adobe programs.

  5. #5

    I want to find out if others have experienced the file lock situation with Illustrator installed on their PC's. Adobe sayas they have no reports on file. I personally have reported this to them several times over the past years. Has anyone else reported it and been told it is a Windows problem?
    Bart_Androski@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Bart,

    Yes, many users have reported it. Try re-naming aiicon.dll to .dll.old. You
    will lose Illustrator previews in Windows Explorer by doing so, but I'd be
    interested to know if that eased your problem.

    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Bart,

    Our entire graphics department has reported exactly that situation. I have reported it to Adobe and they gave me the same response, "It is not our application, it is something unique to your environment", or "We do not support issues on a networked computer". I have not seen this issue yet in CS but we are just starting testing.

    Users in our company are not given administrative rights on their computers and never will be. We have seen the error on local files and network files. We have seen the issue on stand alone computers. I have even experience the issue logged in as a Domain Administrator.

    As a side note: If an application has to be run with administrative privileges then the software developer did not do a good job during testing. If there are any developers who read this; "Testing should be done at the lowest security access possible!" I would even recommend doing your development as a user not an administrator.

    I'm dismounting the soapbox now.

    If anyone has any ideas please respond. I will try re-naming the aiicon.dll
    Duane_Koford@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Adobe would not pass this problem on to their engineers. They wanted me to do a hard drive format and then only install Windows XP and Illustrator 10 (I would have used CS but do not have a spare PIII or P4 machine laying around to format and test with). I did this and then tried to get the file lock to happen without success. However - because this is an intermittent problem I can not be sure it would not happen eventually. I then started applying XP service pack 1 and 1a - still with no locks. I then started applying Windows Updates. First KB837009 Outlook Express 6 SP1 and no file locks. The second update applied was KB832894 ulative Security Update IE6 SP1 and guess what... I just got my first file lock. What I would like to do is start over and formatt again and just load Illustrator and get it to lock. I am afraid that when I report this to Adobe they will blame Microsoft now and I will be in the middle of a ing match between Adobe and MS.

    I also tried the renaming of aiicon.dll to aiicon.old on one of my systems and after some brief testing have not gotten any file locks. I don't get the Illustrator icon but who cares if it doesn't lock my files.
    Bart_Androski@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Bart,

    Our art department is working on Macs and we have been experiencing the exact same problem. We are working on OS 10 and with Illustrator 10. When trying to delete Illustrator files we are given a message saying "the operation can not be completed because the item is in use."
    gabriela_rosillo@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Bart,
    >>The second update applied was KB832894 ulative Security Update IE6 SP1
    and guess what... I just got my first file lock<<

    Well that would certainly explain the sudden increase in the number of these
    reports as it was updated April 12th!

    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Bart Androski, Please don't listen to the Adobe Tech in this case!
    I been having this kind of trouble since version Ill 9 and there is not way to really fix this problem as far as I know. My suspicion is that is related to Windows 2000, NT, XP and Illustrator 9,10 and 11.v!!! This is been going on for a long time now.
    You, like the rest of us will have to live with the problem. Our work around is when a figure and it locks up, meaning you cant save on top, We rename it by appending the word "NEW", then We write in a paper the name of the problem file and delete it later if you can.

    Usually you can change the name of the file if you close Illustrator, then you can rename a locked file. Another for sure method is for all computers even the server where the file is to reboot and then you can rename or resave on top of it self.

    I going to try the Len’s Work around “Try re-naming aiicon.dll to .dll.old”
    Kevin_Brenner@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Bob,

    Norton (Symantics)

    A Freudian slip, perhaps? Subconscious reference to some undetected errant line of code.

    Sorry. Couldn't help myself.

    Your info is actually helpful since I'll be installing CS on a Norton-protected machine soon. With regard to that, I've been warned that having installed the tryout version of CS on the same machine, I'm destined for nightmares with conflicts between the tryout and the real upgrade. Have you run into that?

    Cheers, Toni
    TD_Toomey@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    I have re-accuring problems related to deleting .ai files. I in fact joined this user form to see if any one else is having similar problems that I experience. My biggest problem I'm facing is when recording cds using the normal WinXP explorer. The only the .ai temporary files refuse to delete once the cd is recorded. This is makes me unable to record other cds as the other files are still "waiting" to be recorded. This only happens with Illustrator and I'm convinced it's a program bug. I use Norton Anti virus and my files are not networked.
    Danny_Donohue@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    I don't think is related to the anti virus software , because I run at work McAFee and at home I use AVG, I have similar trouble at time with both computers. And not long ago I never used any anti virus and still had the same problem.

    Kevin Brenner
    Kevin_Brenner@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    I have experienced it with Illy 10, but not with CS yet.
    I'm on WinXP on a network with about 8 computers. I've had some memory problems that cause CS to malfunction, but it's only on one of the machines, so I'm sure it's not an Illy issue. If I notice CS locking files, I'll try the .dll rename trick. Thanks for the tip. :)

    -J
    john_wundes@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    I want to try the renaming to .dll trick but it won;t let me rename or delete the files cause "it's being used by another program" error box pops up. I use ICS. If anyone has another idea I'm open to suggestions.
    TXs
    Danny_Donohue@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    I have been having this problem since I moved to XP pro with Illustrator CS. It is intermittent but almost always happens with a large and complex drawing. While working and saving at some point the "used by another program" pops up even though Illustrator is the only program running, I have already saved the file several times, and nothing else has changed. I have to do a save-as and thereby end up with multiple versions of the same file on my drive that can't be deleted or renamed. The only way to delete the old versions is to do a complete shut down and re boot. If I move the offending file to a different computer it continues to intermittently cause this problem. The only way to fix the file is to copy its contents to a new blank file. I have this problem on both a net worked and home computer.
    Stephen_Fish@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    I've got the same issue, winxp ICS, (and NAV if it' a factor).
    cliff_snider@adobeforums.com Guest

  19. #19

    We have about 6 graphic artists and 4 of them have this problem on a periodic basis. Also with Photoshop.

    All of us running WinXP SP1, AICS, Norton AV Corporate Edition, run all apps locally but save data to a Novell Netware server.

    I've tested by removing Norton, removing the Novell Client for Netware and using the MS Client for Netware, but nothing has helped yet.

    Adobe says that they don't support their software if files are saved to a network or shared device. Uhhh....what? If that was true, they would lose a huge marketshare since many customers are corporate users that have to share files in a network environment.
    Eric_Schwartz@adobeforums.com Guest

  20. #20

    Eric,
    >>Adobe says that they don't support their software if files are saved to a
    network or shared device. Uhhh....what? <<

    Adobe only support saving to a network device when using Version Cue.
    Otherwise the advice is to save locally and then copy to the network drive.

    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast