Professional Web Applications Themes

Anyone ever used a cell phone with an iBook? - Mac Networking

Has anyone ever used an iBook with a cell phone to connect to the Internet? I have a G4 iBook, non-Bluetooth. If I can find a combination of phone and USB cable that will allow me to dial up my ISP, I'd be willing to purchase such a phone. Currently I have a Nokia 5165 phone that will connect to the Internet via a Windows computer and a PCMCIA modem. Unfortunately the iBook doesn't have a Cardbus slot. I do not think there is a USB cable that will work with the Nokia 5165 phone, but if there is a ...

  1. #1

    Default Anyone ever used a cell phone with an iBook?

    Has anyone ever used an iBook with a cell phone to connect to the
    Internet?

    I have a G4 iBook, non-Bluetooth. If I can find a combination of phone
    and USB cable that will allow me to dial up my ISP, I'd be willing to
    purchase such a phone.

    Currently I have a Nokia 5165 phone that will connect to the Internet
    via a Windows computer and a PCMCIA modem. Unfortunately the iBook
    doesn't have a Cardbus slot.

    I do not think there is a USB cable that will work with the Nokia 5165
    phone, but if there is a phone that has cellular modem capabilities,
    I'd be willing to trade up if I could connect via USB to the iBook and
    then log onto the 'Net.

    Advice appreciated -- Googling gave inconclusive answers.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++
    H.B. Elkins -- Beattyville, KY
    http://www.millenniumhwy.net hbelkins(at)mis.net

    "There's no doubt he's the best race driver in the world."
    --Dale Jarrett, on the late Dale Earnhardt

    Go Big Blue (Kentucky Wildcats)! Go #15 (Michael Waltrip, NAPA Chevy)!

    To reply, just remove the restrictorplates...
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    H.B. Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Anyone ever used a cell phone with an iBook?

    In article <newsguy.com>,
    mis.net (H.B. Elkins) wrote:

    I have used SmithMicro Quicklink to make a USB connection between a
    Motorola T720 phone and a 17" PowerBook. It's about twice as fast as an
    internal modem, and once you have it set up, it works fine regardless of
    where you are (assuming you can get cell phone service).

    Good option for e-mail from one of those hotels that charges outrageous
    telephone rates for using a modem, but still too slow for comfortable
    web browsing.

    William Clark
    William Guest

  3. #3

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.mac.comm.]
    On 2004-05-18, H.B. Elkins <mis.net> wrote:

    Any Mac that runs osx can use an LG 4400 cell phone as a modem. You
    need (1) a $20 cable from RadioShack that has an LG phone plug on one
    end, a usb plug on the other, and Prolific usb-serial converter
    inline; (2) a free, downloadable Prolific usb-serial driver for osx;
    and (3) a modem script, also downloadable. Alternatively you can get
    a cable without the inline converter and skip installing the Prolific
    driver, using the phone directly as a usb device instead. But this is
    much less reliable in my experience.

    Once the driver is installed, just plug one end of the cable into the
    phone and the other into any usb port connected to your Mac (hubs are
    fine). OSX will then automatically recognize the phone as a modem.
    Configure it with Internet Connect in the usual way, either to dial
    your own isp, a corporate login, or your cell company's internal isp
    if they have one (VZW, for instance, has relatively high-speed net
    service). Remember to tell Internet Connect _not_ to wait for a
    dialtone before dialing.

    Btw this phone/cable combo can also be used with the Page Sender fax
    driver. It sometimes works with the builtin Panther fax driver but
    less reliably.

    noman Guest

  4. #4

    On Tue, 18 May 2004 21:38:51 +0100, H.B. Elkins wrote
    (in article <newsguy.com>):

    I use a Siemens S55 with my G4 iBook, using a Bluetooth USB
    dongle. Email if you want more details.

    --
    Giles: I said, Oh dear lord!
    Buffy: You always say that.

    Jocelyn Guest

  5. #5

    In article <newsguy.com>,
    mis.net (H.B. Elkins) wrote:

    I think *any* Mac running OS X with a USB port can use a cell phone as a
    modem, if you've got the correct USB data cable for your phone.

    I got my LG VX6000 working with my Pismo PowerBook just by buying the
    cable from Radio Shack. They will try to sell you the FutureDial
    software for PCs, but you don't need it.

    I got this information from the "maccellphone" Yahoo Group, at:
    http://groups./group/maccellphone/
    Chris Patterson chrispatterson.at.comcast.dot.net
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are
    always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
    -- Bertrand Russell
    Chris Guest

  6. #6

    H.B. Elkins <mis.net> wrote:

    Sure - I use my iBook with my SonyEricsson t630 all the time. I got a
    bluetooth adapter for my iBook, and it works great. It you want to use a
    USB cable, be sure to get one that has OSX drivers. The problem with
    these cables, is that the phones have a good old serial interface, and
    the USB cables contain a serial<->USB adapter that needs a driver.

    --
    Morten Dreier
    http://morten.dreier.no/

  7. #7

    In article <newsguy.com>,
    H.B. Elkins <mis.net> wrote:

    G3 iBook with Bluetooth dongle and Sony Ericsson P800 via GPRS. Works,
    although the phone quite often has to be rebooted before it'll accept the
    connection.
    Chris Guest

  8. #8

    Can anyone post the details of how they do this with their Bluetooth
    phones? I have 'Net access via my Sony-Ericsson phone with Cingular but
    don't know quite how to get my iBook in on the act.
    Reginald Guest

  9. #9

    Chris Patterson <com> wrote:

    Did not know such a group existed -- I'll be heading that way shortly.

    And everyone else, thanks for your helpful responses. Seems the body
    of knowledge on this subject is broader than it was a few years ago.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++

  10. #10

    In article <verizon.net>,
    Reginald Dwight <net> wrote:

    You need an access number, username and password for PPP. In my case withy
    Vodafone UK, they are "*99#", "web" and "web" respectively. Your provider
    should be able to tell you their equivalents.
    Chris Guest

  11. #11

    Reginald Dwight <net> wrote:

    I'm not necessarily looking for trying to piggyback a computer onto a
    wireless 'Net accessible phone.

    I just want to dial up my ISP like I would with a landline.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++

  12. #12

    In article <newsguy.com>,
    mis.net (H.B. Elkins) wrote:

    > I'm not necessarily looking for trying to piggyback a computer onto a
    > wireless 'Net accessible phone.
    >
    > I just want to dial up my ISP like I would with a landline.
    > +++++++++++++++++++++++++
    > H.B. Elkins -- Beattyville, KY
    > http://www.millenniumhwy.net hbelkins(at)mis.net
    >
    > "There's no doubt he's the best race driver in the world."
    > --Dale Jarrett, on the late Dale Earnhardt
    >
    > Go Big Blue (Kentucky Wildcats)! Go #15 (Michael Waltrip, NAPA Chevy)!
    >
    > To reply, just remove the restrictorplates...
    > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++[/ref]

    I followed the direction on this page with my Sony Ericcson T610,
    T-Mobile, Bluetooth and PowerBook 17 to dial into Access-4-Free. It
    works, but it's sloooooow.

    --
    replace the "dot" with "." to reply
    Carl Guest

  13. #13

    H.B. Elkins wrote:

    > I'm not necessarily looking for trying to piggyback a computer onto a
    > wireless 'Net accessible phone.[/ref]

    Data over cell phones just doesn't work like that. You could learn a lot by
    doing some reading on http://www.macsprintusers.com/forum/. Its for Sprint, a
    USA cell phone provider, but a lot of interesting stuff on there.
    --
    Joel Farris | Q: It reverses the logical flow of conversation.
    twinkledust Designs | A: Why is top posting frowned upon?

    Joel Guest

  14. #14

    Joel Farris <address> wrote:

    I also own a *gasp* HP Pavilion laptop that runs Windows XP. I bought
    an Ositech King of Clubs cellular-compatible modem, that came with a
    cable that works with my Nokia 5165 cell phone. I have used this setup
    several times to dial up my ISP using their landline number and get
    e-mail, do some rudimentary Web surfing, log into Yahoo Messenger, and
    so on.

    The connection speed reported by the Windows connection box is 19200
    -- which is not speedy by any means, but is close to the 24000 speed I
    get when I dial up via landline at my dad's home in rural Kentucky.

    So it can be done, and I understand this Ositech modem will work with
    a Cardbus-equipped Mac laptop running OS 9. But since the iBook
    doesn't have a Cardbus slot, and this one won't boot into OS 9, I need
    to look at something else.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++

  15. #15

    In article <newsguy.com>,
    mis.net (H.B. Elkins) wrote:

    The D-Link USB to BlueTooth module is down to about $40 at the local
    Apple Store. With that and a GSM/BlueTooth phone you can both connect to
    any provider via dial-up using the phone as a modem, or connect directly
    using GSM.

    --
    Ron
    Ron Guest

  16. #16

    On Thu, 20 May 2004 10:29:33 -0500, H.B. Elkins wrote
    (in article <newsguy.com>):

    It will be slower (at least for GSM/GPRS phone).

    GPRS is the radio equivalent of a true packet switched network. Instead of
    modulating/demodulating an og signal, it simply passes through a digital
    gateway (like any protocol converter).

    On my Nokia 3600, I can run a telnet/ssh client which does VT220 emulation
    without a computer - though keyboarding isn't very swift :-).

    Verne Guest

  17. #17

    In article <newsguy.com>,
    mis.net (H.B. Elkins) wrote:

    I've done it using a Motorola 120e (the cheap one Verizon gives away), a
    USB cable obtained from Cellpoint and a modem script obtained from
    <http://groups./group/maccellphone/files/Modem%20Scripts/>

    The data rate is only 14.4Kb, but its useable in a pinch with either
    Verizon's Quick 2 net or your regular dial-up ISP.

    Tom Stiller

    PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
    7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
    Tom Guest

  18. #18

    The key is to be provisioned for data - if via GSM, you'll either want GPRS
    (preferable) or to be provisioned for CSD.

    If you've got a 5165, I assume you're using AT&T or Cingular - both of which
    are really only interested in selling GSM/GPRS phones (Cingular will probably
    be buying AT&T Wireless soon).

    My recommedation would be a BlueTooth data capable phone which works with
    iSync - preferably a Symbian OS phone, but there are others which will work
    as well. You'll need a BlueTooth/USB dongle if your iBook doesn't support
    BlueTooth natively, but tethering via Bluetooth means you can connect to the
    net without removing your phone from its holster.

    I have a Nokia 3600 - but they're getting increasingly hard to find. If
    you're going to stay with your current provider (ultimately Cingular), get an
    850/1900 phone unless you *really* need TDMA - GAIT phones can't be
    provisioned for the Media packages. An EDGE capable phone will be quicker
    than one with only GPRS (in certain markets).

    Verne Guest

  19. #19

    Check out http://www.gomadic.com/ ... My father uses this with his
    PC laptop. I am pretty sure you can do the same with an iBook with USB
    port. Basically, use PPP (EarthLink dial-up account), a cellular phone,
    a laptop, and GoMadic.

    Let us know if it worked or not.

    In comp.sys.mac.misc H.B. Elkins <mis.net> wrote:

    --
    "If I want to be a robber, I rob the king's treasury. If I want to be
    a hunter, I hunt the rhino. What is the use of robbing beggars and
    | |o o| | E-mail: netANT or com
    \ _ / Be sure you removed ANT from e-mail address if you get
    ( ) a returned e-mail.
    ANTant@zimage.com Guest