Professional Web Applications Themes

Anyone know how to stop Adobe Photoshop from... - Photography

deleting the EXIF data from the jpeg version of the photograph and installing it's useless crap instead? Other programs, such as Micrografx, leave the data alone. If I can't fix it, I will delete Photoshop. I don't need their useless ad in my photos......

  1. #1

    Default Anyone know how to stop Adobe Photoshop from...

    deleting the EXIF data from the jpeg version of the photograph and installing
    it's useless crap instead?

    Other programs, such as Micrografx, leave the data alone.

    If I can't fix it, I will delete Photoshop. I don't need their useless ad in my
    photos...

    Bob Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Anyone know how to stop Adobe Photoshop from...

    Bob wrote:
    Post your proof! or:

    What steps, exactly, are you taking such that you are deleting EXIF info.

    --
    John McWilliam
    John Guest

  3. #3

    John McWilliams wrote:

    > Post your proof! or:
    >[/ref]

    Look at a PS saved image to see it. They erase much of the original info
    saved from the camera.

    --

    Stacey
    Stacey Guest

  4. #4

    > Look at a PS saved image to see it. They erase much of the original info

    I took a photo straight from my DigiReb, a copy that was opened in PS 6
    and saved, and one that was opened in PS, resized, and saved. I ran the
    three of them through ExifTool, the original had 125 lines of information,
    the other two had 129 lines. There were differences in FileSize, FileName,
    ImageSize, ImageHeight, ImageWidth, where you would expext them to be.
    PhotoShop added "PhotoshopFormat", "PhotoShopQuality", "PhotoShopThumbnail",
    and "ProgressiveScans" - but *ALL* of the original Exif data was still
    there.

    Steve

    Steve Guest

  5. #5

    > deleting the EXIF data from the jpeg version of the photograph and
    Can't check at the moment, but I think it is the 'save for web' function
    that strips this info. I guess to reduce the size as much as possible.

    R.

    Robert Guest

  6. #6

    Robert Austin wrote:

    > Can't check at the moment, but I think it is the 'save for web' function
    > that strips this info. I guess to reduce the size as much as possible.[/ref]

    The full exif data takes up something like 15K so is really not
    appropriate for web use, definitely not in thumbnails. If you want to
    keep it, use Save a Copy /Saveas instead.
    paul Guest

  7. #7

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 17:20:14 -0500, Bob <Amps> wrote:

    Export using Image Ready.

    Ron

    Ron Lacey
    Murillo Ontario
    com
    Ron Guest

  8. #8

    "Bob" <Amps> wrote in message
    installing

    Photoshop CS does not appear to delete any EXIF data.

    C Guest

  9. #9

    In article <com>,
    C J Campbell <com> wrote:
    >installing
    >
    >Photoshop CS does not appear to delete any EXIF data.[/ref]

    I believe the current theory is that the original complainant
    was using "Save for Web", which does trim EXIF content.

    John Guest

  10. #10

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 17:20:14 -0500, Bob <Amps> wrote:

    OK I should have specified that if I load in a RAW format picture and save it
    as a JPG (I haven't tried any other format) then the EXIF is gone, just a
    version of Photoshop data is there. That means I have to convert to jpeg in
    Nikon E. and then save and re-load into Photoshop to edit - trashing the quality
    of the photo...

    an example... using 'save as' of the RAW file as a jpg in Photoshop:

    File: - I:\!_Nikon_D70\2004\05_(May)\09_(691-708)_RAW\DSC_0706.jpg

    Orientation - Top left
    XResolution - 300
    YResolution - 300
    ResolutionUnit - Inch
    Software - Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0
    DateTime - 2005:01:24 19:57:09
    ExifOffset - 164
    ColorSpace - Uncalibrated
    ExifImageWidth - 3008
    ExifImageHeight - 2000

    If I do the same thing in Nikon Edit - the original photo data EXIF remains
    intact:

    File: - I:\!_Nikon_D70\2004\05_(May)\09_(691-708)_RAW\Garden\DSC_0704.jpg

    Make - NIKON CORPORATION
    Model - NIKON D70
    Orientation - Top left
    XResolution - 300
    YResolution - 300
    ResolutionUnit - Inch
    Software - Nikon Browser 6.2.1 W
    DateTime - 2004:05:09 22:28:59
    YCbCrPositioning - Centered
    ReferenceBlackWhite - 0
    ExifOffset - 280
    ExposureTime - 3125/1000000 seconds
    FNumber - 9
    ExposureProgram - Normal program
    ExifVersion - 220
    DateTimeOriginal - 2004:05:09 13:55:16
    DateTimeDigitized - 2004:05:09 13:55:16
    ComponentsConfiguration - YCbCr
    ExposureBiasValue - 0.00
    MaxApertureValue - F 4.76
    MeteringMode - Multi-segment
    LightSource - Auto
    Flash - Not fired
    FocalLength - 56 mm
    UserComment -
    SubsecTime - 12345
    SubsecTimeOriginal - 12345
    SubsecTimeDigitized - 12345
    FlashPixVersion - 100
    ColorSpace - Uncalibrated
    ExifImageWidth - 3008
    ExifImageHeight - 2000
    InteroperabilityOffset - 882
    SensingMethod - One-chip color area sensor
    FileSource - DSC - Digital still camera
    SceneType - A directly photographed image
    CustomRendered - Normal process
    ExposureMode - Auto
    WhiteBalance - Auto
    DigitalZoomRatio - 1 x
    FocalLengthIn35mmFilm - 84 mm
    SceneCaptureType - Standard
    GainControl - None
    Contrast - Normal
    Saturation - Normal
    Sharpness - Normal
    SubjectDistanceRange - Unknown

    Maker Note (Vendor): -
    Data version - 808464944
    ISO Setting - 0
    Quality - RAW
    White Balance - AUTO
    Image Sharpening - AUTO
    Focus Mode - AF-S
    Unknown (11) - 8, 0
    Unknown (12) - 5, 544
    Unknown (13) - 7, 393472
    Unknown (14) - 7, 786688
    Unknown (17) - 4, 5527
    Unknown (19) - 3, 26214400
    Unknown (23) - 7, 393472
    Unknown (24) - 7, 393472
    Unknown (25) - 10, 576
    Unknown (129) - 2, 584
    Unknown (131) - 1, 2
    Unknown (132) - 5, 594
    Unknown (135) - 1, 0
    AF Focus Position - 16777217
    Unknown (137) - 3, 0
    Unknown (139) - 7, 786752
    Unknown (140) - 7, 626
    Unknown (141) - 2, 4786
    Unknown (144) - 2, 4796
    Unknown (145) - 7, 4808
    Unknown (146) - 8, 0
    Noise Reduction - OFF
    Unknown (151) - 7, 5279
    Unknown (152) - 7, 5419
    Unknown (153) - 3, 66061808
    Unknown (154) - 5, 5451
    Unknown (160) - 2, 5467
    Unknown (162) - 4, 2637973
    Unknown (164) - 7, 808464944
    Unknown (167) - 4, 743
    Unknown (169) - 2, 5489
    Unknown (170) - 2, 5497
    Unknown (171) - 2, 32
    Unknown (3593) - 2, 5505
    Unknown (3600) - 4, 5621

    Bob Guest

  11. #11

    Bob <Amps> wrote:

    The information is still there, it's just that Photoshop saves it in XMP
    format, so whatever you're using to read the EXIF data needs to understand
    that format.

    --
    Jeremy | com
    Jeremy Guest

  12. #12

    Bob wrote:

    For heaven's sake: You have been going on and on about PS, and all the
    while it's Elements, - v2 at that- that you're really talking about.

    --
    John McWilliams
    John Guest

  13. #13

    On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 22:53:50 -0800, John McWilliams <net> wrote:

    >For heaven's sake: You have been going on and on about PS, and all the
    >while it's Elements, - v2 at that- that you're really talking about.[/ref]

    So it's Elements that is the problem? I should up-grade to the pro version?

    Bob Guest

  14. #14

    In article <com>,
    Bob <Amps> wrote:

    >>For heaven's sake: You have been going on and on about PS, and all the
    >>while it's Elements, - v2 at that- that you're really talking about.[/ref]
    >
    >So it's Elements that is the problem? I should up-grade to the pro version?[/ref]

    You might just try going to the current version of Elements;
    that has no problem saving all the EXIF data in a JPG file.

    (Doesn't Elements 2.0 store the data in XMP format?
    That's perfect permissible, but it's unlikely that
    your little EXIF dumper tool understands XMP)

    John Guest

  15. #15

    On 25 Jan 2005 22:02:09 -0500, com (John Francis) wrote:

    >>So it's Elements that is the problem? I should up-grade to the pro version?[/ref]
    >
    >You might just try going to the current version of Elements;
    >that has no problem saving all the EXIF data in a JPG file.[/ref]

    I know it saves jpg to jpg - but RAW??

    I don't know - I've tried reading the exif with both windows XP and with
    Irfanview - no dice.

    And when they do see the exif - they can't find the ISO! Only Nikon View sees
    it.

    Too bad people don't know the word 'standards'...

    Bob Guest

  16. #16

    Bob wrote:

    Hmm that sounds familiar. Sounds like Nikon ed that up if it's
    true. I've played with several exif readers & writers & mismatches are
    pretty common.
    paul Guest

  17. #17

    In article <com>,
    Bob <Amps> wrote:

    >>You might just try going to the current version of Elements;
    >>that has no problem saving all the EXIF data in a JPG file.[/ref]
    >
    >I know it saves jpg to jpg - but RAW??[/ref]

    Yes, RAW. I'm sure of that - I checked it before I first posted.
    (That's why I bought Elements 3.0 - it includes Adobe Camera Raw)
    And when I saved to a JPG (after converting to 8-bit, of course)
    all the EXIF data from my original RAW file got saved in the JPG,
    and I was able to see it from a non-photoshop application.
    John Guest

  18. #18

    On 26 Jan 2005 02:44:59 -0500, com (John Francis) wrote:

    >>I know it saves jpg to jpg - but RAW??[/ref]
    >
    >Yes, RAW. I'm sure of that - I checked it before I first posted.
    >(That's why I bought Elements 3.0 - it includes Adobe Camera Raw)
    >And when I saved to a JPG (after converting to 8-bit, of course)
    >all the EXIF data from my original RAW file got saved in the JPG,
    >and I was able to see it from a non-photoshop application.[/ref]

    I just got an offer from Adobe to upgrade (do they have spy's??) they want
    $300US to upgrade to the full version. That's maybe 400 Canuck Loonies...

    hmmmm

    Bob Guest