Professional Web Applications Themes

anyone used eSellerate? - Mac Programming

brucecoughlin <brucecoughlinnyc.rr.com> wrote: > Anyone used eSellerate for web store/installer eSeller? I've been > playing > with their stuff and it's very spiffy.... Anyone tried using their > Activation system (as a simple copy protection scheme)? Good > experience? > Neg? I had considered them as a future upgrade to PayPal, once I could justify the extra cost. Unfortunately, they sent me an unpersonalised email asking to sign up with their program. Having never had correspondance with them before, I'm afraid I classify this as spam, and will no longer consider their services. Anyone else noticed this? The email said ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: anyone used eSellerate?

    brucecoughlin <brucecoughlinnyc.rr.com> wrote:
    > Anyone used eSellerate for web store/installer eSeller? I've been
    > playing
    > with their stuff and it's very spiffy.... Anyone tried using their
    > Activation system (as a simple copy protection scheme)? Good
    > experience?
    > Neg?
    I had considered them as a future upgrade to PayPal, once I could
    justify the extra cost.
    Unfortunately, they sent me an unpersonalised email asking to sign
    up with their program. Having never had correspondance with them
    before, I'm afraid I classify this as spam, and will no longer
    consider their services. Anyone else noticed this? The email said
    they found my address from a software listing at MacUpdate.

    I'll be considering Kagi instead, when I look into it again.

    --
    *--------------------------------------------------------*
    | ^Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool^ |

  2. #2

    Interesting.... Can I ask why you chose to use 2 payment processors?

    I've tried the web store and the installer eSeller from eSellerate in
    evaluation mode.... Maybe I should evaluate the integrated too. The
    installer eSeller hands out the SN immediately as well, though someone here
    has warned against VISE on OSX, so now I'm leery of that method.

    > I am now using eSellerate as my second payment processor, together with
    > Kagi. The HUGE advantage is the integrated eSeller that hands out serial
    > numbers directly to the application. This avoids the once-per-week scenario
    > of the customer trashing the Kagi "Thanks for your payment" email
    > containing his serial and then complaining that his CC got charged and
    > that he never got anything from me or Kagi in return! Best,
    >
    > Martin

    brucecoughlin Guest

  3. #3

    In article <BB3995D9.389D%brucecoughlinnyc.rr.com>,
    brucecoughlin <brucecoughlinnyc.rr.com> wrote:
    > Interesting.... Can I ask why you chose to use 2 payment processors?
    >
    > I've tried the web store and the installer eSeller from eSellerate in
    > evaluation mode.... Maybe I should evaluate the integrated too. The
    > installer eSeller hands out the SN immediately as well,
    It's not quite the same thing from the installer, though. With an
    installer seller you can give the person the SN immediately. Using an
    integrated seller, your application can not only get the SN but also
    save it to disk somehow, removing the need for the user to get involved
    in that step. This makes things enormously easier in the sense of
    getting people registered a minimum of confusion. It's not just people
    who disregard the confirmation email that have trouble, either-- I get
    people who for some reason have only entered a portion of the SN, and
    then complain that I've ripped them off by giving them a non-working
    number. Better to make SN entry as automatic as possible.

    Plus, sales numbers indicate that users seem to really like this option.
    I like it, they like it, it's easy to do, so there's not much reason to
    not use the integrated option.
    > though someone here has warned against VISE on OSX, so now I'm leery
    > of that method.
    That would be me. In fairness some do like it, but I found it to be
    bloated and confusing to use. And I needed to run a script on Mac OS X,
    which it only handled sporadically. Eventually it just failed to handle
    that step altogether, and after going a few rounds with their tech
    support I decided to junk it. I would still prefer to not use an
    installer at all, but decided it was necessary for my software.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See [url]http://www.atomicbird.com/[/url]

  4. #4

    In <tph-83763B.09561415072003localhost> Tom Harrington wrote:
    >> though someone here has warned against VISE on OSX, so now I'm leery
    >> of that method.
    >
    > That would be me. In fairness some do like it, but I found it to be
    > bloated and confusing to use. And I needed to run a script on Mac OS
    > X, which it only handled sporadically. Eventually it just failed to
    > handle that step altogether, and after going a few rounds with their
    > tech support I decided to junk it.
    I have seen Installer VISE do some pretty annoying things to my computer,
    including resetting all kinds of preferences, putting things in the
    "root" trash so they can never be deleted, and so on. I've also seen the
    installer just quit inexplicably. Now I'm so gun-shy that if I start up
    a program and it begins doing an Installer VISE installation, my first
    move is to quit the installer and write to the developer asking for
    another way to install. I'm not an idiot; if you want stuff to go in
    certain places, just tell me where you want it and I'll put it there. m.

    --
    matt neuburg, phd = [email]matttidbits.com[/email], [url]http://www.tidbits.com/matt[/url]
    REALbasic: The Definitive Guide! 2nd edition!

  5. #5

    In article <20030715090608691-0700news.la.sbcglobal.net>,
    matt neuburg <matttidbits.com> wrote:
    > I'm not an idiot; if you want stuff to go in
    > certain places, just tell me where you want it and I'll put it there.
    Ah, if only all Mac users were like that. :-)

  6. #6

    In article <bf52fe$icn$1seagoon.newcastle.edu.au>,
    Heath Raftery <hrafterymyrealbox.com> wrote:
    > I've just received a second email from Dan Davis of eSellerate and it
    > looks fairly genuine. It mentions the first email and asks for feedback.
    > I hereby withdraw my claim that I was spammed, and while I still think
    > it is a marketing tool bordering on intrusive, I may consider their
    > services at some point.
    I've been getting that same message. Sent it to me regarding a freeware
    product, makes no sense. Oh well. I wrote him back telling him that,
    because it didn't look quite the same as spam to me, either.

    Doug

    --
    Doug Brown - La Grande, OR
    Idiot's Guide to Mac Cases - [url]http://www.ircandy.com/maccases/[/url]